The mkiv Supra Owners Club

I just found out I have steel turbos...

Lurch

I think it means you have UK-spec turbos that have steel turbine blades, as opposed to JSpec turbos that have ceramic blades.

Others will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think steel blades are more durable under hard use, but also take longer to spool up, so you pays your money and you takes your choice.

Unless you trust that the seller knew what he was talking about, I'd take anything like that with a pinch of salt. He *might* have read somewhere that supras have steel turbos, and copy-pasted it into his ad. :shrug:

Either:

1. It has had UK spec turbos fitted, photos of the turbos should confirm.

2. They are j-spec turbos that have been rebuilt with steel internals ie. 'Hybrid' turbos. You would need to remove the turbos to confirm.

3. The seller wasn't correct and they are stock J-spec turbos with ceramic turbines. You would need to remove the turbos to confirm

I shall have a look tomorrow and take a photo.

On the advert it says 'refurbished Steel Turbo's' and the man I bought it from always took it to whifbitz for any servicing or work. So I have a feeling they are what he says they are...

Thanks for the replies :thumbs:

If I do have steel turbos does that mean I can be a 1.4 bar bpu rather than 1.2? Would the actuator be the right one?

I shall have a look tomorrow and take a photo.

On the advert it says 'refurbished Steel Turbo's' and the man I bought it from always took it to whifbitz for any servicing or work. So I have a feeling they are what he says they are...

From the description it sounds like they will be hybrid J-spec turbos. Paul may know if they've worked on it.

If I do have steel turbos does that mean I can be a 1.4 bar bpu rather than 1.2? Would the actuator be the right one?

1.4bar will be pushing the limits of the j-spec 440cc injectors, I'd stick to 1.2bar

• 2 months later...

They're stock jspec shells if the little bit of the collector I spot is correctly identified! As mentioned earlier in the thread there is no way to tell if they are rebuilt unless you remove the turbo's and inspect the turbine blades.

Looking at the condition I'd say they were stock jspec ceramics and that the previous seller was misinformed. For information, the compressor blades are steel on all models.