The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broadband Speed

Matt H

They all (well, we only have two suppliers on the island so saying "all" may be a bit misleading) tell you the lines are up to 20meg but always ask where you live and then give you a close estimate of what you will actually get.

Shockingly, so do the broadband providers in this country ;)

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had occasion to go to OTE (our version of BT) yesterday to pay a bill and asked the sales girl there if it was possible to ramp up my speed from the 10meg I currently get. She went onto her computer, typed in my phone number and said it could be upped to 11.5meg and to call a number and request it.

I thought that was pretty good service.

MattH - I begrudge paying the same for a 1MB connection as someone who can get 20MB, but the costs to the ISP are the same regardless of the line length, so can't see that changing... although someone on a 1MB connection is probably using far less data per month than someone on 20MB.

I think there would be a benefit in business increase for a service to tailor costs better for the consumer based on individual speeds. Perhaps they may make less money out of people with lesser speeds, but certainly I think the risk would pay of with market share. Speculate to accumalate!

I certainly think someone with a 1mb connection uses less because when I was on that sort of speed, I just didn't bother using the internet that much because of how slow it was - certainly wouldn't bother downloading. On a side note - does it actually matter cost wise if someone is using the internent 24/7 compared to someone using it infrequently? Surely it doesn't cost a provider any more in real terms (forgetting strain the network).

I think there would be a benefit in business increase for a service to tailor costs better for the consumer based on individual speeds. Perhaps they may make less money out of people with lesser speeds, but certainly I think the risk would pay of with market share. Speculate to accumalate!

I certainly think someone with a 1mb connection uses less because when I was on that sort of speed, I just didn't bother using the internet that much because of how slow it was - certainly wouldn't bother downloading. On a side note - does it actually matter cost wise if someone is using the internent 24/7 compared to someone using it infrequently? Surely it doesn't cost a provider any more in real terms (forgetting strain the network).

Well, with my ISP I can specify separate daytime and evenings/weekend download usage (from 250MB/month up to 500GB+/month), and I'm billed accordingly. I probably download just as much as I would if I were on a higher bandwidth connection though, my PC just gets left on more :)

Ah but. Yes but. No but. With Virgin I've found that if all/some my neighbours sharing the Access point into the main trunk are using their 'full' 20MB/s b/w then my share drops quite a bit... we'll see if I get a 'bigger share' when it's upgraded to 50MB/s:rolleyes:

Its toss mate, Im still paying BT 30+ quid a month. The best Ive ever seen was about .9

How is your 3g signal? If it is good you could well get faster speeds using a 3G dongle/router. Would save a pretty penny on your bill.