The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broadband Speed

Matt H

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is an official BT speedtest site, I lost the link but something like BTspeedtest.net. My line dropped to similar speeds after a storm fault - the fault was fixed but the line was left in what I can only describe as limp mode where they limit the speed to ensure connectivity. If you go to the official BT site, it will tell you your maximum line speed - if its too low you know you've been put on the wrong IP profile so ring them up and tell them to change it.

I'll look for the site. Hopefully you'll see this amongst the broadband p1ssing competition :p

Found it: http://speedtester.bt.com/ I was close!

:( I know it probably is, just hoping I guess. BT is really hacking me off. Can't even run video on demand because the speed is just rubbish and can't cope.

I'll be a Virgin customer in summer. :)

You will wonder how you ever survived without it Andy. Even their middle of the road 20Mb broadband is far faster than the norm from BT and all the other phone line ones. You have to be very lucky to get the advertised speed with BT, with Virgin it is pretty much spot on as the modem caps your speed.... not the network :D

To get speeds like Martin there you need corporate broadband, you wouldn't get that in a residential area in the UK. Even though I understand he is no longer in the UK (I think), I doubt anyone would pay the sort of fees to get those speeds on a personal level.

There is an official BT speedtest site, I lost the link but something like BTspeedtest.net. My line dropped to similar speeds after a storm fault - the fault was fixed but the line was left in what I can only describe as limp mode where they limit the speed to ensure connectivity. If you go to the official BT site, it will tell you your maximum line speed - if its too low you know you've been put on the wrong IP profile so ring them up and tell them to change it.

I'll look for the site. Hopefully you'll see this amongst the broadband p1ssing competition :p

Found it: http://speedtester.bt.com/ I was close!

Cheers for the effort mate. :) Been there before and couldn't get the service ID. Emailed them and everything. Nothing. :(

You will wonder how you ever survived without it Andy. Even their middle of the road 20Mb broadband is far faster than the norm from BT and all the other phone line ones. You have to be very lucky to get the advertised speed with BT, with Virgin it is pretty much spot on as the modem caps your speed.... not the network :D

To get speeds like Martin there you need corporate broadband, you wouldn't get that in a residential area in the UK. Even though I understand he is no longer in the UK (I think), I doubt anyone would pay the sort of fees to get those speeds on a personal level.

That's about it isn't it Scott. :) You see the other countries with these speeds as standard and for our kinda money but I think the Corporations, Uni's pay for T1 or some such and get the speed.

I looked at it all when I first got BB and thought "OK it'll get better" It hasn't and I just believe BT to be a rip off now. Even the new Infinity service hasn't a hope compared to VM. I pay 28 quid a month VM is 35 notes but if I get rid of the BT landline and bung it in with VM I'm saving. Same number too. :)

Cheers for the effort mate. :) Been there before and couldn't get the service ID. Emailed them and everything. Nothing. :(

That's about it isn't it Scott. :) You see the other countries with these speeds as standard and for our kinda money but I think the Corporations, Uni's pay for T1 or some such and get the speed.

I looked at it all when I first got BB and thought "OK it'll get better" It hasn't and I just believe BT to be a rip off now. Even the new Infinity service hasn't a hope compared to VM. I pay 28 quid a month VM is 35 notes but if I get rid of the BT landline and bung it in with VM I'm saving. Same number too. :)

Yeah, it's crazy not to go with the VM phone line package. They offer the same benefits as BT for less money, and when you do so the minimum TV package is free and, as you have found out, the broadband is seriously discounted.

Amazing. Wouldn't like to share your secrets would you? :)

A university or company at a guess.

Nah, it's my home connection. I live in Japan now (look at server location).

Costing £15/month with free national calls (in Japan - so pretty useless to me at the moment!) :)

Nah, it's my home connection. I live in Japan now (look at server location).

Costing £15/month with free national calls (in Japan - so pretty useless to me at the moment!) :)

That upload is mental for a home connection. Shows how far behind we are lol. No restrictions on that at all?

Although Virgin have been a step ahead in terms of access speed for years, their core is still heavily contended so you compete at select times.

BT are now rolling out superfast broadband and for the time being, it's unmatched. 100mb down and 40mb up, and it's in rollout phase now.

Although Virgin have been a step ahead in terms of access speed for years, their core is still heavily contended so you compete at select times.

BT are now rolling out superfast broadband and for the time being, it's unmatched. 100mb down and 40mb up, and it's in rollout phase now.

I must admit, I've never had to "compete" once in the whole time I have been with Telewest/Virgin. I have consistently managed to get the fastest upload/download speeds available... other than when they decide I have downloaded too much this month and cap my speeds between 5pm and 12am :innocent:

The 100mb down and 40mb up will not even be close to what it says on the tin from BT, it will be the same old story... in order to hit the advertised figures your house will need to be built on top of an exchange and you will need to be in a Virgin area so that noone else bothers to use that particular exchange.

Been with Virgin since before they were Virgin. (NTL a few years back)

Service has been brilliant. Only offline once for 24 hrs when someone knocked over the local junction box in their car. (Can't really blame Virgin for that)

Only had to use the helpline once and that was during the above incident.

• 2 weeks later...

A few years ago, my Virgin connection was dire, i was on there 20meg package, and never saw anywhere near it, i coudn't even host a game on the Xbox. I cancelled it, went to BT, realised how crap they were also, then started to hear good things about Virgin again. So when i moved, i went back to Virgin on the 10Meg package, and quite frankly its been brilliant for the last year. Not had a single issue, and i pretty much always get good DL speeds. I'm moving house again now....so today, i got them to bump me up to 30Meg at the new house :eyebrows: Can't wait to move in :D

A few years ago, my Virgin connection was dire, i was on there 20meg package, and never saw anywhere near it, i coudn't even host a game on the Xbox. I cancelled it, went to BT, realised how crap they were also, then started to hear good things about Virgin again. So when i moved, i went back to Virgin on the 10Meg package, and quite frankly its been brilliant for the last year. Not had a single issue, and i pretty much always get good DL speeds. I'm moving house again now....so today, i got them to bump me up to 30Meg at the new house :eyebrows: Can't wait to move in :D

Should have kicked up a fuss. Must have been a modem fault or low signal (easy fix). There is no way of getting a slow connection on the virgin line when the hardware is working as it should be. Good that you are working well now though, 30 will be awesome.