The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broadband Speed

Matt H

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Since its all speed related, I noticed that my speed had decreased a fair amount, turned out to be dodgy drivers for the onboard network adapter, after searching around it was obvious that the Win7 support for it was rubbish so I stuck an Intel Pro 1000 MT in, job done :thumbs:

That the max I can get using my Cisco 837 as it doesnt support ADSL2 :(

:cool:

• 10 months later...
I'm with the utility warehouse and the connection although slow @ 2.2 on newsgroups its been reliable but the phoneline however is terrible.

I'm on a monthly contract and heard that if i switch to someone like BE they do something at the exchange to make things faster. Is this true?

Just so sick of being stuck in the dark ages and its a fairly new built estate. What i would give to have cable.

poop

BT have finally tried to catch up with the others (BT Infinity) Has been stable aswel.

For those that don't know. It's fibre optic from the exchange to the local cabinets (fttc) and then copper from cabinets to the house.

Virgin 50MB, though for some reason it never goes above 3.85MB upload on the speedtest site. I get 5MB through FTP and torrents. Great service for the money, I'll never go back to ADSL.

They're rolling out 100MB DL / 10MB UL this year to most of the main areas, everyone on the 50MB service gets it for free :)

For the Virgin media 20MB customers - check your bill!! If you have had the 20MB service for a while you might still be being billed at the "old" £25 per month rate. When I called VM to discuss why it was higher than their current rate they explained this was due to their discount policy (complex it seems and not mentioned anywhere on their site).

Basically if you're on the 20MB service and pay the old rate you can upgrade to the 50MB service for free. The installation (inc new fancy modem and wireless router) are free and the monthly payment remains the same at £25 per month. Basically a faster service with no cap limits for the same price.

Is your router plugged into your master socket? If not how far is the cable run from it?

For best results its best to have the cable no longer than 10m from the master socket.

If that does not make a significant difference than it may be the cable on the out side of the house. most BT cables are 2 pair If you now a nice BT man you could swap to the other pair and try that.

Basically if you're on the 20MB service and pay the old rate you can upgrade to the 50MB service for free. The installation (inc new fancy modem and wireless router) are free and the monthly payment remains the same at £25 per month. Basically a faster service with no cap limits for the same price.

That is EXACTLY what I did on wednesday when I phoned, spent an hour on the phone debating the packages with them, and ended up paying an extra £5/month and getting 50mb and the M tv package :)

I want Virgin Fibre Optics :cry:

Since I started this, I'm in a new place and with the w&nkers of the contract world, Sky. I get ~4.5mb on their 10mb package, which I'm ok with, I'm just not happy that they are still (after 6 months) using my bank account as a cash free-for-all. :angry:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm on the Virgin 50Mbit, and on the SpeedTest.net site, I can never, ever get 50Mbit, I only get 41Mbit (only, he says!) - yet when downloading Newsgroups/ISO images I can 90% of the time sustain 50Mbit, peaks to 51, but stays between 48-50Mbit.

Stoooopid SpeedTest :)

I'm on the Virgin 50Mbit, and on the SpeedTest.net site, I can never, ever get 50Mbit, I only get 41Mbit (only, he says!) - yet when downloading Newsgroups/ISO images I can 90% of the time sustain 50Mbit, peaks to 51, but stays between 48-50Mbit.

Stoooopid SpeedTest :)

How far away does it say you are from the server? DISTANCE ~ ?

Just depends on how busy it is mate, try and few others... also try again later on when it might be quieter?

Am not too bothered TBH Bob - the real world speed is there. I don't know the routing to that host. I'll try a few more, but so long as my newsgroups are ok, I don't care :D

• 3 weeks later...