The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broadband Speed

Matt H

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar problem with my BT internet and it turned out they hadnt switched it over from a restricted line like what SupraDan said....

Only got it sorted when i threatened to leave, they sent an engineer round for free( tried to make me pay!!), he switched something over on his laptop and bingo:rolleyes:

im with sky they said i would get 6.3 mb the best ive had is 4.5 mb and the worst is .5 mb

i only live 1/2 mile from the exchange .there rubbishhttp://www.speedtest.net/result/703658160.png

look at that what a load of cr%p thats costing me 17.00 a month contract ends in one week im leaving

Youll want to use sam knows to look at your local exchange to find out who has llu enabled on your exchange for the faster speeds.

I am thinking of going to Virgin and canceling BT, but a few people said that Virgin is good WHEN it works. They have problems when it rains etc, etc,.

:lol: now I've heard everything.

When I was down in Ealing I had flawless internet for the best part of 8 months. The only real problems I've had were cable go back to 2001/2002 when they were setting the network up.. I mean I get the odd disconnection but nothing that's not fixed by resetting the the modem's power, but still that's uncommon.

I'd always recommend cable over BT.

With ADSL it won't make too much of a difference which provider you go with, at the end of the day it is the copper to your house that is letting you down more than anything else.

Not totally true is it though. If sky is unbundled at the exchange then you may get up to 16Mb like a guy at work and if your with a provider who is not you'll be limited to 8Mb like me :( because your using BT exchange hardware, roll on the day the contract ends!

I understood what you meant but wanted others to be clear providers can make a great difference on what they can offer you. ;)

Not totally true is it though. If sky is unbundled at the exchange then you may get up to 16Mb like a guy at work and if your with a provider who is not you'll be limited to 8Mb like me because your using BT exchange hardware, roll on the day the contract ends!

Yeah, that is true, if you have a 2mb contract you won't get more... however I meant more of the fact that the lower than quote speeds are due to the copper and if you have a crap line with 8mb BT you will probably not have a much better line at 20mb.

It is the last mile bit that is the killer on ADSL.

I'm with the utility warehouse and the connection although slow @ 2.2 on newsgroups its been reliable but the phoneline however is terrible.

I'm on a monthly contract and heard that if i switch to someone like BE they do something at the exchange to make things faster. Is this true?

Just so sick of being stuck in the dark ages and its a fairly new built estate. What i would give to have cable.

poop

lol - I think this server might have some issues, I was around 1.5mb, until right at the end, when I got :

If that's the case, I'm off to download all the fine a$$3d flesh I can find :D

EDIT : There's got to be some issues, I've now got this from Iceland :

:D

(Now trying to find a way to DL a real Icelandic chickbirdgirlthing, whatever a girl is?... But I've heard they're fun?)

So can I change my server from birmingham to try and improve things like pot seems to have done?

My results are duff fella, I'm on around 3 meg, I've got no idea how those scores came up (I wish I'd have got them for real!)

EDIT : My upload speed's realistic though, I get around 100kb/s