The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Broadband Speed

Matt H

I've recently purchased BT unlimited 20mb broadband.

I know it's been slow, so I've been on speedtest.net and the results are shocking:

0.25Mb per second download

0.38Mb per second upload

Ping is 57m/s

What's going on with that? How can it be this bad? :(

Ta

Matt

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

try unplugging EVERYTHING from the phone line apart from the router, and running the test again.

Mine went down to about 65kbps download with a 2 day ping; since unplugging everything i'm up to 1429kbps download, 375kbps upload and an 82ms ping. It's not great but where i am it's delivered with two tin cans and a piece of string.

Do you live far from the exchange? Was the performance better before?

As above, to find out where your exchange is, go here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Also, when you signed up, did they advise you what speed you were likely to achieve?... AFAIK whilst the 'up to' rubbish still stands, its good practice for them to say what you're likely to get. Be Broadband did when I signed up, and they were spot on (Around 3 meg)

This is mine off the same site and its about the same on broadbandchecker.co.uk

I pay for BT Unlimited 8mb but wont get any more than 4mb at any time.

Best speeds for me to download are after the throttle cap after 11pm

I wont pay for any high speeds like 20mb till BT upgrade the lines in our area as you will never achieve these speeds. Something is majorly wrong there Matt.

Had the same problem with BT when i first went with them. If you use P2P software they will restrict you to .5mb.

I rang up and complained and after a couple of phone calls it went up to 8mb and stayed there.

That's a point. Some of the ISPs wont let you download more than a few GB per month. O2 has been brilliant thus far...

Do you live far from the exchange? Was the performance better before?

I live, according to Pot's piost, 3 miles or less from my exchange:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/LVLYM

try unplugging EVERYTHING from the phone line apart from the router, and running the test again.

Mine went down to about 65kbps download with a 2 day ping; since unplugging everything i'm up to 1429kbps download, 375kbps upload and an 82ms ping. It's not great but where i am it's delivered with two tin cans and a piece of string.

Just tried that and it's exactly the same

try a different server on that site and see if it is any better.

Those speeds say to me that something is very wrong with the connection. Either somebody is nicking your bandwidth or they have not set you up correctly.

No difference with a different server..

As above, to find out where your exchange is, go here http://www.samknows.com/broadband/search.php

Also, when you signed up, did they advise you what speed you were likely to achieve?... AFAIK whilst the 'up to' rubbish still stands, its good practice for them to say what you're likely to get. Be Broadband did when I signed up, and they were spot on (Around 3 meg)

They said we could achieve 2-2.5mb from memory

Matt, something is very, very wrong with that.

Try restarting the router.

Try only having the router plugged into the phone line.

Try using ethernet (not wireless internet).

What router is it? Is it a homehub?

EDIT: This is me with the same exchange:

http://www.speedtest.net/result/703536092.png

Yes, home hub.

Had the same problem with BT when i first went with them. If you use P2P software they will restrict you to .5mb.

I rang up and complained and after a couple of phone calls it went up to 8mb and stayed there.

Could this be it?!!!!! I used bit comment to download like 5 episodes of smallville that haven't don't get aired in the UK while I didn't have an internet connection. I did notice it seemed to download them all pretty reasonably when I did it, but now it's rubbish.

That's a point. Some of the ISPs wont let you download more than a few GB per month. O2 has been brilliant thus far...

It's supposed to be unlimited. Well that's what I'm paying the (&^$^%$(%&$ premium for :(

is mine any good? i have no idea about stuff like this. my internet is stupidly slow.

i too have the 20mb broadband thing.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c75/x-dreamland-x/speedtest.jpg

Your getting about just over one tenth of what you pay for, thats BT for you. Im on BT as no cable around here but no point paying for 20mb unless you are on cable like Branners or Bobbeh, I pay for 8mb and get 4 more often than not. (branners is near bang on the button)

Scotty

It's supposed to be unlimited. Well that's what I'm paying the (&^$^%$(%&$ premium for :(

So's your iPhone tariff though dude... :(

They say unlimited but they don't mean it. :shrug:

BT cap during peak hours and also if you torrent, they cap you. That's why I went with O2 - been fine and dandy with that.

Also, the BTHomeHub is an awful router - I had 4 replacements when I was with them!

EDIT: I also went with O2 because it's only £7.50 a month if you're a mobile customer :)

im with sky they said i would get 6.3 mb the best ive had is 4.5 mb and the worst is .5 mb

i only live 1/2 mile from the exchange .there rubbishimage

look at that what a load of cr%p thats costing me 17.00 a month contract ends in one week im leaving