The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pyjama wearing chav

stevie_b

Think Tescos bad, just try Asda all you nice middle class home counties types :)

I can only 'do' Asda before 8am and then only if I need to grab some fruit or salad. Every time I try to do a shop there I end up really, Really, REALLY wanting to hurt someone.

Sainsbury and local shops FTW

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does she bother to go to the toilet, or just let a bit of pee out in the fruit 'n' veg aisle?

It wouldn't surprise me! Was doing an eye test on a chav mother once, her 8 year old kid needed the loo....so the mother whispers "just go outside down a side street in-between some parked cars" :blink:

I have been known to go to work in my slippers. But I did have work clothes on and they were very warm. :blush:

I've left the house and nearly driven to work in my slippers! It's just so embarrassing being old, isn't it? ;)

I can't believe these people going out in their nightwear. It's going to give me a nightmare now!

Sainsbury for me too. None of that Asda/Tesco rubbish. Unless the former has run out of essentials (ahem).

I don't get it. Who exactly is likely to be offended or embarrassed by seeing someone in pyjamas? People in pyjamas seem to be featured regularly on television before the 9 O' Clock watershed.

I sometimes see my neighbour in pyjamas (he's in pyjamas, not me). I don't find this in the least offensive or embarrassing. If he was to mend his roof in pyjamas, frolic in the street in pyjamas, go to his place of work or ride his bike up and down the road in pyjamas, I wouldn't find it any more offensive. I might question his judgement, but that's a separate issue.

It's Tesco's prerogative to ban who they want to, I guess, but is there any real 'offense' issue behind it? Just a conformity issue, seasoned heavily with snobbery. Personally, I find piercings of all kinds, including earrings, mightily offensive to my keen aesthetic sense, so maybe I should mention it to Tesco's and see if they will ban them too. Not that I shop there, but I might be offended if I look through the window.

I would imagine that the reason is to encourage more affluent shoppers who are going to spend more, and who don't want to mix with the lower orders.

I don't get it. Who exactly is likely to be offended or embarrassed by seeing someone in pyjamas? People in pyjamas seem to be featured regularly on television before the 9 O' Clock watershed.

I sometimes see my neighbour in pyjamas (he's in pyjamas, not me). I don't find this in the least offensive or embarrassing. If he was to mend his roof in pyjamas, frolic in the street in pyjamas, go to his place of work or ride his bike up and down the road in pyjamas, I wouldn't find it any more offensive. I might question his judgement, but that's a separate issue.

It's Tesco's prerogative to ban who they want to, I guess, but is there any real 'offense' issue behind it? Just a conformity issue, seasoned heavily with snobbery. Personally, I find piercings of all kinds, including earrings, mightily offensive to my keen aesthetic sense, so maybe I should mention it to Tesco's and see if they will ban them too. Not that I shop there, but I might be offended if I look through the window.

I would imagine that the reason is to encourage more affluent shoppers who are going to spend more, and who don't want to mix with the lower orders.

I presume that in the true sense pyjamas are worn to bed and therefore if you wear them out of the house you are likely to be:

a) nude underneath

b) having not showered and just gone straight to the shops, smell lingering

"Offensive" is far too strong a word for it. People seem to use that word as something to hide behind these days, when what they really mean is "something I don't especially like".

What exasperates (but also slightly amuses, if I'm honest) me is that she feels sufficiently aggrieved such that she has courted media attention about it, and her suspect logic as to why she wants to wear pyjamas in the supermarket.

The story would be complete if she were to take her case to the European Court of Human Rights, accusing Tesco of violating her right to wear nightwear in public. If she could get legal aid so as not to dip into her cigarette money, perhaps she would. :)

I presume that in the true sense pyjamas are worn to bed and therefore if you wear them out of the house you are likely to be:

a) nude underneath

b) having not showered and just gone straight to the shops, smell lingering

a) I find that I am nude underneath my clothes. I am also reliably informed that underwear is optional, and that there may be more conventionally dressed people wandering around.

b) It's not compulsory to shower before you go out. It's also not possible to guess whether someone has had a shower based on what they are wearing.

It's not really a hygiene issue, is it?

What exasperates (but also slightly amuses, if I'm honest) me is that she feels sufficiently aggrieved such that she has courted media attention about it, and her suspect logic as to why she wants to wear pyjamas in the supermarket.

The story would be complete if she were to take her case to the European Court of Human Rights, accusing Tesco of violating her right to wear nightwear in public. If she could get legal aid so as not to dip into her cigarette money, perhaps she would. :)

Has she courted media attention? Or have the BBC, sensing a story, courted her?

I've yet to see a logical reason why they should be banned. They are no more revealing than plenty of other clothes. Maybe they indicate that you haven't washed for a few hours - OK, is this any dirtier than someone returning home from work (especially if it's a manual job)?

There are some great comments on the website: thin edge of the wedge, Empire has gone to the dogs, it's a privilege not a right to shop at Tesco's, etc etc.

I like this one:

I think I might be inclined to call the police if I saw somebody wandering around outside in their PJs. I would tend to think that they might need to be returned to the care home they have wandered off from. It's the sort of thing that a person with dementia might do.

I cannot believe that there are people out there - normal, sane people - who think it is acceptable to wander raound in their PJs, What sort of alternate dimension are they living in!

Hell's f**king teeth.

a) I find that I am nude underneath my clothes. I am also reliably informed that underwear is optional, and that there may be more conventionally dressed people wandering around.

b) It's not compulsory to shower before you go out. It's also not possible to guess whether someone has had a shower based on what they are wearing.

It's not really a hygiene issue, is it?

a) I don't wear underwear under my pjs - I presume most women don't either. I think people think of nightwear as inside wear, not going outside wear. I don't mean popping out to get a paper or pick up your post, a drive to the shops and doing a full on shop is a little different.

b) I agree. I do genuinely think that people are seeing it as a hygiene issue.

c) these aren't my views - just ones I am reading on line. If you strip it back there is a perception that you really should get 'dressed' to do your weekly shop.

Has she courted media attention? Or have the BBC, sensing a story, courted her?

It would be interesting to know how the story first came to the attention of the BBC. I suspect (and it is just a suspicion) that she reported it to the media, and is using the media as leverage to get her own way. The media are of course more than willing to play their part.