The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Apple Ipad

Ric

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Have a great iPad data sim card which is better than those of Orange, Vodaphone and O2 etc. It's a 30 day rolling agreement which you can cancel at anytime (no fee, just 30 days notice).

For £15 per month you get 10GB of 'downloads', others offer either 3GB or 5GB for the £15 so not bad at all.

Those tariffs are absolutely shocking. You'd have to be a mug to sign up to them. Besides, who really needs 3G for their ipad? It's not like you'd be taking it out shopping or anywhere else that'd need a you to access the net.

TBH if it was lighter, faster, had more storage and was widescreen I'd buy a standard wifi version.

Pointless trinket for those who want to be seen to have the latest pointless trinket, it doesn't revolutionise anything, it forces people to work to a set way with limited tools based on a flawed ideology they have been suckered into. It's a dumbed down Windows Tablet Edition without the functionality or hardware choice for people who want to use computers but don't have the ability to learn how to.

Playmobil computing for the dumb.

Pointless trinket for those who want to be seen to have the latest pointless trinket, it doesn't revolutionise anything, it forces people to work to a set way with limited tools based on a flawed ideology they have been suckered into. It's a dumbed down Windows Tablet Edition without the functionality or hardware choice for people who want to use computers but don't have the ability to learn how to.

You've ordered one then? :D

A lot of people are dumb, and even more want to be fashionable.

I can see it doing quite well for a while, but you're right - it's not revolutionised anything.

For Personal use:

Like I said, its not a replacement, its an AND. It isnt for everyone, especially not for the laggards :)

For Business use:

Think it will have a huge impact on the mobile workforce, in some verticals more than others.

:yeahthat:

Best summing up I've heard for the iPad yet, Michael.

I wholly endorse the above.

For Business use:

Think it will have a huge impact on the mobile workforce, in some verticals more than others.

:yeahthat:

Its funny to read some of the comments in here, would people really react the same way if it was produced by IBM, HTC, Sony or some other company, the mind boggles :D

Tablet PCs have been about for years, are they used on a wide scale, no, why, cause most were basically laptops with lapse driver support and rubbish hardware, Apple have obviously seen these issues and decided to do something about it, so what's the issue :search:

Limited software and lack of standard connectivity that might make it more useful?

It has plenty connectivity, surely you dont want it plugged in by a cable if thats what you mean :search:

Wireless and cellular

Wi-Fi model

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi + 3G model

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

Data only2

Wi-Fi (802.11a/b/g/n)

Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR technology

Wi-Fi

Digital compass

Assisted GPS (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

Cellular (Wi-Fi + 3G model)

I fear you are right actually (coming from someone who's gone through a lot of apple products).

They're getting far far too tied down.

http://chinagrabber.com/buy-cheapest-mid-m70003-apad-tablet-pc---7-touch-android-apad-m70003.aspx

Android anyone?

USB? SD Card?

Yes buy the plug in unit if it's something you can't really deal without?

I agree with some of the comments mentioned, I only purchased mine as I spend a lot of time traveling and flying, it's perfect for what I want. have you ever tried to watch a film with a laptop in ryanairs seating space, lol :)

What most IT professionals seem to be unable to comprehend is that this is a consumer device. For people the type of people that like to buy nice Sony all in one stereos. Think how many people out there want a device they don't have to think about how to use, change the configuration, install custom software or generally meddle with the OS.

It isn't a mobile computer.

Yes it's over priced.

Apple are great at generating hype.

It is very well engineered and designed.

The software is meant to be simple and do simple tasks.

No it's not a toy for IT professionals.

If I were travelling a lot or commuting by train it's a handy light weight bit of kit.

No I won't be getting one, but I can see how it achieves what it sets out to do and does what the competition haven't been able to and respect that.

Apple in "buy extras to make something functional shocker" - a £25 "Camera Connection Kit" that should really be called "the stuff that should be integrated but we couldn't do it kit" ;)

Then there is the £25 "VGA Adapter", the £25 "Dock", the £55 "keyboard dock" and the £30 case that looks like a laptop with no keyboard...

So a VGA socket, USB and card reader, keyboard and protective case comes in at £135 on top of the price of the basic item, all come as standard on a tablet touchscreen laptop like the cheapo Acer Aspire 1420P you can have for £400. Uninstall Windows 7 and pop something from Fisher Price on and you're sorted.