The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trying out my new camera

supra_si

Defo use ISO 100. I would tend to take the pics outside in normal light. The HDR brings detail out on the shadows & highlights. So try to take a shot where the middle exposure caputures the main scene pretty well. The -2 will bring detail out in the highlights (the clouds for example when they are whited out on the 0 shot), the +2 will bring detail in the shadows (shadows and reflections in paint etc where they look a bit too dark at 0 exposrure).

Upping the ISO introduces more "artifacts" in the image which the HDR will highlight, this is not good, I would avoid dark places, get some outside shots in good light (but not direct sunlight, it's too harsh) maybe cloudy days or dawn or dusk on bright days. HDR brings out cloud definition really well.

Also I see you're shooting in RAW, but are you converting them before running them through Photomatix? What is the extension on the files you pull into Photomatix?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a filter in Photoshop that creates a similar effect, but I can't remember which one it is .. I think it's called 'Posterisation' or something like that! Basically it turns photos into a 'cartoony' looking poster. I'll have a look when I get home tonight. I have the full version of Photomatix too, so you don't get the watermarks all over it :p

Defo use ISO 100. I would tend to take the pics outside in normal light. The HDR brings detail out on the shadows & highlights. So try to take a shot where the middle exposure caputures the main scene pretty well. The -2 will bring detail out in the highlights (the clouds for example when they are whited out on the 0 shot), the +2 will bring detail in the shadows (shadows and reflections in paint etc where they look a bit too dark at 0 exposrure).

Upping the ISO introduces more "artifacts" in the image which the HDR will highlight, this is not good, I would avoid dark places, get some outside shots in good light (but not direct sunlight, it's too harsh) maybe cloudy days or dawn or dusk on bright days. HDR brings out cloud definition really well.

How long have you been playing with HDR to get the standrd of pic that you keep producing.

How long have you been playing with HDR to get the standrd of pic that you keep producing.

Couple of years now, I'd say the PhotoMatix side of things is quite easy, the source shots have the biggest influence on how good the finished shot is, they need to be clear, well composed & sharp.

I def think it's a good idea to get a basic grasp of taking "normal" photo's 1st, I'm no expert, but feel I have a good feeling on when a photo is good or not. Maybe if Si could take some single frame shots with 0 exposure compensation to see if the source images he's using are good enough as HDR can defo make a dodgy source image even worse :D

As an example this was one of the first HDR shots I did in Feb 2007 (you can see how a good setting & composition makes all the difference):

attachment.php?attachmentid=104328&stc=1&d=1264769460

attachment.php?attachmentid=104329&stc=1&d=1264769460

One simple tip is try not to make the object (the car) central to the shot (the rule of thirds http://digital-photography-school.com/rule-of-thirds)

I am using RAW then pulling them in to phtotomatix as tiff files... is that correct?

It should be OK but it's not how I do it.

Basically you can pull the RAW images off the camera (the extension should be .CR2) and load them directly into Photomatix. You can convert the Raw CR2 into a TIFF 1st, but when I did that the results weren't as clear as using the CR2 files.

Try both methods though :)

I did make a mkivsupra.net group for digital photography, I thought maybe we could start some basic threads up?

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?groupid=47

i.e for :

ISO Settings

RGB settings

Aperture

Raw

Camera advice (SLR or compact)

Lens / Filter advice

Post-Production software - Lightroom, Photoshop, Aperture etc

Admittedly it's empty right now :) But hey you gotta start somewhere.

On another side note anyone got tutorials on to how to isolate colours in a photo? I.e strip everything but say brown or pink or orange?

I know it's quite easy if you're just maintaining one of the RGB colours because I'd just set the others to zero...

Not sure if it is exactly what you are after but in photoshop there is a Hue/Saturation setting. You can then select the colours you want to see and the range you want to see via the drop down.

Not sure if it is exactly what you are after but in photoshop there is a Hue/Saturation setting. You can then select the colours you want to see and the range you want to see via the drop down.

Alas I can't afford to buy CS3/CS4. I may look at buying Lightroom and I have a trail copy of Aperture 2 I'm using currently on the mac.

Taken a few shots and unfortunately I think the light and the background aren't contrasting enough, so stripped out everything but the one colour and such but the background isn't really going that greyscale.

Feh, will keep trying :)

Muchhh better. I would hold back a little on the effects though, they are still looking a little bit too fake. The initial pictures used are far far better than that you used previously. Keep the smoothing up a little higher to keep them looking a bit more natural :)

Yah .. looking really good :D. Once you have some good source images to work with, you can just mess about with Photmatix etc all day long until you find a pic you like :D

(put the aerial down though ;))

I took this yesterday ... I know it's not a Supra, but I was dead chuffed ... I called him Brian :)

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/030/5/c/Ladybird_by_TheHoodedMan.jpg

Keep experimenting, that's the best way. Can't wait to start taking shots of the Supra again now I've been geeking up on some techniques :D

Cheers, J

Much better, as Scott says the "halo" effect around everything makes it look a little un-natural, the "light smoothing" option should sort that out,

That 1st shot for me looks great, minus the lamppost that is :D, they get everywhere, you could edit it out of either the originals or the final shot by cloning the sky next to it :)