The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trying out my new camera

supra_si

Been trying out my new camera and some of the free software you can download such as lightroom three and Photomatix three.

This is my first attempt at HDR etc so please dont annihilate my pics. IM NO Professional and the images below will prove that!

I cant wait to take some outdoors so i can get some good sky images coming through but had to stay in the garage for now as its a tad nippy lol:p

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any sharper??

what settings do you use for sharpness... do you take 3 images or just the one image, my tripods not the bets in the world hence a lil shake in there which im annoyed at, maybe just taking the one pic will keep the sharpness... these were all HDR from 3 diff exposures

Is this still soft?

I think 3 different exposures is pretty much the norm, 1 to 2 stops apart.

Did you use the self timer when taking your shots?

Even though you may be on a tripod, it can be easy to press too hard on the button.

In addition to the self timer idea, you could turn you image stabilzation to off, given you're using a tripod.

ahhh forgot about the image stabilizer button.. also i didnt use the self timer as i wasnt sure it would take 3 pictures in a row wil lhave a play around with it tonight

i wonder if the focal length that i had it at a f5.6 may need changing to bring the car a bit more

Looks like you have had a overnight respray :) The car is awesome though real nice Si.

Photography and any A/V knowledge comes with experiance and practice, plus good understandings of the cameras settings, what settings some use others wont and they will use their editing software. You will have some great pics once you hit the nail on the head ;)

Scotty

I think Lbm hit the nail on the head. I tend to go for 3 exposures (-2, 0, +2) and then use a tripod with the self-timer, or a remote if you have one. Even the lightest touch on the shutter button can cause a little bit of movement. Thankfully my camera allows me to set it to take 3 shots automatically at 3 different exposures, which is very useful. Also, if your camera supports it, try to use the photos you take in RAW format, as opposed to JPEG or similar. RAW preserves the original colours much better (although the file size is much bigger) which makes the final image that bit nicer after post-production :)

Photmatix generally seems to be the software of choice for HDR composition too. Check out some of these tutorials that really helped me: -

Photomatix Tutorial 1

HDR Tutorial List

Basically ... Practise makes perfect.

HDR shots are always nicer with a bit of sky/landscape in the background, like you said. Here's one I did a while back where I kinda went a little over the top .. but you get the idea :). I'll be trying some more now that I've learned more about the technique once my car is back.

Cheers, J

Im taking them in raw as well ii may take tha car out for a spin tonight to a nice location for some sky and colour background shots light permitting.

im goign to see if my camera will take pics automatically using the timer to take 3 exposures one after another. i think one one of my shots there must have been a little vibration from me pressing the button

You have the canon 450 d ? If so then yes it can take 3 shots automatically at different exposures. You can also change the number of stop between exposures.

I would personally concentrate on getting good at the basics of photography first. Choosing the right apertures, light composure etc. HDR seems to be all people take :search:

Also HDR never looks as good on light coloured cars ;)

col i have the 400d, i will go through the manual tonight to see if my camera can do that or if its just on the 450d

i think Ppl take HDR because they do look quite good..in general but Tbh my car was parked in the garage and was full of flourescent tubes giving loads of light so it really wasnt the best place to start. I wanted to see what effects i could do to pictures. ive only had the camera a couple of days lol

One day il be as good as Jay hopefully

As others have said, nice car, pictures a bit soft.

It's difficult to give tips on how best to take the picture as its all about getting enough light and you only really know that when behind the lens.

I imagine for the garage you are going to be on tripod with a slow shutter speed whatever.

I'd look to be setting the aperature at around f9.0 to give good sharpness with iso 100 and then adjust your shutter times untill you get the desired exposure.

The other thing you might want to consider is your white balance.

If you have it to automatic then fine but you may need to adjust it later in photoshop or equivilent.

You definately want a remote shutter controll as the smallest movement can blur the image.

Carl