The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Category B write-off

Guest jdwals

Okay guys - quick question - when is a write off not a write off?

Just wondering as my Supra claim with the insurance company is coming to an end. They are saying Cat B - fit for parts only - and are ready to give me my money.

A person has suggested that the best way forward for me is to get the car - repair it (flood damage, mechanics all fine as near as can be told) and get an enginer to examine it, confirm the car is fit for the road (assuming any electrical issues can be sorted), give me a report saying all is well, and the car can be put back on the road again - is this correct?

I don't even know if I will go down this road - the car has been parked up for two months with a very damp interior which can not have been good for the electrics but many of the cars I have looked at since have had some serious issues and for not far off the price of a replacement car, I can get a car I already know sorted (I hope) which seems to be worth considering.

But does anyone know if the guy is right in saying a Cat B status can be over-written and the car legally put back on the road?

Thanks for any info.

The insurance company are giving me the money for the car and have given me an option of either having a guy come and scrap it or sorting out something myself. The difference to me is €200, the offer of scrap value they got on it (I'm in Ireland).

They are not interested in holding on to the car, or the log book or anything else. Once I have agreed the amount with them and have accepted their offer, then it is up to me what happens after.

I have had people telling me that it can go back on the road (again - Ireland maybe slightly different to the UK but we normally copy most of the things the UK do anyway) or to rip out the interior and use it as a track day car till it blows up or get a better quote myself for scrapping it.

The reason the insurance assesor said he was scrapping it was because he said it was in contaminated water - for the last two months we have been driving around in my fiancee's car that was parked next to my Supra when her insurance company dried hers out, cleaned it and gave it back to us. That annoyed me to no end!

Well, that is where it is at now. At least it is developing a bit now.

If it were me then I'd be getting the car back in my ownership and then you have the choice of breaking it up for parts (assuming whats on the car is in good enough condition to sell on)...or like you say, use it as a base for a track day machine.

I guess the interior fabrics would be worthless but all the body panels (bar the tailgate due to rusting) are pretty much mint - interior trim panels would all be fine with a clean and some elbow grease, engine should be fine, alloys and wheels, exhaust, glass, etc, etc.

Should be a fair bit usable on the car if broken.

Decisions, decisions.

If it were me then I'd be getting the car back in my ownership and then you have the choice of breaking it up for parts (assuming whats on the car is in good enough condition to sell on)...or like you say, use it as a base for a track day machine.

Normally if you take the car into your possession, they won't pay you out until you can prove it's been destroyed by coughing up a certificate of destruction. I managed to get mine back so that I could remove everything I wanted before I had the shell crushed. So I got loads of spares to sell and once I sent them the certificate, I got paid out too. Worked out quite nicely in the end.

mine was exactly the same but be aware. I asked to buy it back and was told it was a cat b write off due to contaminated flood water and they werent allowed to sell it back. OK i thought, fair enough.

Turns out they only registered it as as a cat c and askmid says its insured again. wasnt happy I could tell ya!