The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Really simple fog lamp mod needed

Homer

I have now got mine fixed - took it to an auto-electrician and now all works!

What he has done seems fairly simple but effective - at least enough to get through MOT.

I have switch in dash, which is earthed to one of the screws on the auto-shifter that screws into the chassis.

The live feed that runs to the back of the car is wired into the reverse light wit red bulb.

The live feed for the switch itself comes from the rear, he has run a wire off one of the reverse lights into an inline fuse, which then travels to the front of the car and into the switch. 7.5amp Fuse used for this line.

Result = Sidelights on + rear fog light switch - happy MOT tester!

Maybe not the most ideal solution as I now have a red and a black wire running from front to back / back to front but it works and seems easy enough. I can provide pictures of mine now if anyone else wants to sort theirs out this way.

• 3 weeks later...

Cool, so long as it works and is safe that's good enough, I just felt more comfortable doing it this way (simpler = less chance of something going wrong!). I have a couple of red bulbs so will use one of those, I don't keep any nail polish in the house ;)

Is the wattage for the fog lamp blub the same as the brake light?

21 W is for the fog light bulb yes.

Are you taking the feed off of the rear lights that are on when the sidelights & above are on?

Mines rigged up that way - I took it to an autospark. Not sure what wire was used though (does it matter.. looks like the type I wired up my facelift indicators with). From what I can tell I have a live from the rear lights running down side of car to the dash, into switch, then feed from switch to the reverse light.

Edit - got an inline switch in there too from the live wire running from rear light to switch.

I was planning to put the switch it on the -ve as (in my mind!) that would not require a 2nd wire to go back to the rear, it could just be earthed down by the dash.

Would that work?

Also the only lit switch I could find has 3 points on it (see pic), Can it still be used and if so, how do I wire it in?

Sorry for the dumb questions, I can't get my head round this..!

fog switch (3).jpg

From what I can figure out you need the three prongs. One is the earth, one is the live in to the switch then the other is to allow the switch to send the power back to the light? Im not sure about the single -ve wire thing :) but from looking at what the guy did onmine I have two wires going to the back and one stays in the front as the earth.

Might be wrong.. but mine has three prongs just like that. The earth used in mine goes from switch (should be labelled) to one of the screws that holds the autobox shifter to the chassis.

I'm having problems with this.. :(

It's wired in and I can get the fog light to switch on, BUT the light on the switch doesn't light up. If I change the connections around I can get the light on the switch to light, but the fog light doesn't turn on.

What have I done wrong! See diagram.

connecting

1->3

2->4

5 blank OR earthed

= fog light lit, not switch light

1->4

2->5

3 blank OR earther

= fog light not lit, switch light lit

No combinations get them both to light!

fog light 4.jpg

From the looks of the other similar switches on maplin the middle connector should go to the thing your trying to power, and one of the outers is the power in, with other outer being earth..

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?moduleno=42949

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=43005

one of the qustions about the switch too "Q- Connecting the ''Power'' tag to +12V and the ''VCC'' to the load does not let the LED light up when the switch is ON (although the load does operate). Does the ''Ground'' tag need to be earthed for the LED to work? - Richard M

Answer- Yes the ground does need to be connected. "

Sure the Earth is good?

Aye from the Q&A part

Quote: "Q- How are the terminals connected? Are 1 and 2 the switch terminals, and 3 the second connection for the illumination? - Dave Taylor

Answer- 1 is live in 2 is live out 3 is ground. "

if theres numbers on it rig it up that way - it sounds like its the earth not allowing the LED to light up.

Im off round to Iceman`s tomorrow to help rig his up, no doubt we will encounter similar obstacles :)

How did you get on with this Homer?

Myself and Iceman sorted his rear fog light today, all works (though we did need more wire which we havnt got yet). Couldnt believe 3m of wire wasnt enough!

Used one of those LED switches and spliced into the rear driving light wire to pull the 12v feed to the switch, then cut the reverse light wire and connected that to the switch. Earthed it and it worked.

On the switch we used the middle prong was the wire to connect to the fog light itself and is controlled by the switch. The golden coloured prong on the side was the earth and the normal coloured prong on the other side was the 12v in.

We used a 7.5 amp inline fuse in a fuseholder rated to 15amp. Went a bit ott with the earth wire though - managed to buy the kind you use in houses to earth 240v switches!