The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Any problems getting a car from Northern Ireland??

SupraDan24

Hi guys, this might be a silly question but i'm asking it anyway just to be 100%. Are they're any pitfalls associated with buyin a car from Northern Ireland and bringing it up into England (as in extra costs or paperwork). Seeing as they're both part of the UK i dont see any problem but i thought i'd ask as i've never done it. I've tried looking through google with little success :search: Thought i'd try on here as someone will probably be able to give me a definitive answer in two seconds :D Lookin into trying out a Celica GT4 for a bit for a change, and while i save up for a TT. Unless you guys can talk me out of it that is, but from what i've read so far they seem pretty decent cars. Thanks

Dan :cool:

I got my Supra from N.I earlier this year mate and like you said there was hardly anything on the internet to clarify things. I'm just off to work just now but if you want PM me anything you want to know or stick it on here and i'll remember and have a look later and help out and answer what i can ?

LOL @ CW! :)

There isn't any difference to buying on the 'mainland' Dan, I've done it the other way round (being from NI) and if the car has tax and mot they'll both be valid until they're due for renewal. You can choose to re-register with an English plate, or leave the NI plate on it.

If you're booking travel, you can fly easyjet into the international airport (which is about 20 minutes out of Belfast) or FlyBe/BMI into the city airport which is a couple of miles from the city centre. A boat from Belfast to Scotland is around £100, and you can pick a 'flexi' option that will allow you to cancel or change the booking if the car's not what you hoped it would be.

Try to get as much information about the car as possible before you fork out travelling money, get the seller to fax you copies of the service history etc. and if you're really not sure then afaik you can also ask the AA or RAC to carry out an inspection on your behalf and provide a report. I'm not 100% on that one though as I've never used it.

If it's from a dealer, post up the details and maybe one of us from over here will have heard of them and will be able to give an opinion on them, alternatively if it's a private seller then some info about where the car is and a description or pics might turn up someone who knows the car, or maybe the seller is on one of the NI forums and can be investigated that way.

Thanks for the replies guys...all very good as usual....which is why i feel pretty guilty right about now, turns out the car is registered as NI but...its actually kept in England lol. My bad guys...in my defence it was in tiny text at the bottom and Northern Ireland was in big old eye catching bold letters....i'm a epic div i know. Haha anyways, i quite like the car and it seems to have plenty of service history so i'm gonna go see it next week. Love GT4's, cant get enough of the front end...god i love those damn japs !!