The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Diesel cars - £3k budget. What would you buy?

caseys

Hey all,

Well, my better half is due to give birth to our first born (I keep saying minion, but she doesn't seem to like that) and so we need to get at least one car between us that can fit some sort of sprog-restraint system in. Been told the Supra isn't sensible and it seems a 1989 mini cooper is also not considered a family car :D

Can anyone suggest a good reliable 5dr diesel for around the £2500-3000 bracket? As mini is the missus' first car she doesn't want anything RWD (so C-class and 3-series ruled out) and no estate cars.

Currently looking at Mk4 Golf Diesels, either a 1.9TDI SE / S or a 90-110BHP GT TDI. Had a MK3 Golf and like the look of the MK4. 1.9 is a group 6, GT-TDI is a group 10, her mini is currently group 8 so hopefully no huge ramp in insurance costs.

Any one on here owned one? Looks like I have to look for one with a cambelt change (every 80k) and also water pump, temp sensors and possibly worn bushes.

Cheers

Golf is nice, my sister has one, expensive to service but safe car for bolting a child into

Worth a look at a Mondeo TDI or Focus, just so cheap to maintain

Exactly what I would say :)

For the price of a 1.9TDi Golf, you will get a much better condition Mondeo. They are a nice drive & a decent size, the boot is brilliant, pram & all that go straight in! My friend has one in the 2.0 TDi model and it is very nice, back seats have ISO connections as well for baby seat.

Old style Yaris diesel?? Or is that a bit on the small side??

Alas yes too small :( I don't think we're planning on stopping at one sprog for my world domination army and I have seen a lady fit herself, 3 children and a double buggy into a golf. Yaris that'd be quite a logistical effort.

Golf is nice, my sister has one, expensive to service but safe car for bolting a child into

Worth a look at a Mondeo TDI or Focus, just so cheap to maintain

What was expensive on the service? I know genuine VW dealerships and my MK3 Golf were indeed costly.

Seen that Focus are indeed cheap, but found this thread before I posted up mine

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=171375&highlight=diesel+golf+tdi

And so am slightly put off the fords. Love a cossie, but this has to be sensible and reliable.

Skoda Fabia and Seat Leon are another couple to have a look at.

Thank you :) Hadn't considered Fabias yet, looked for A3s and Leons, can't find a nice 5dr for the money which I can get a nice golf with it seems. That and my friend's Y-plate Leon has had engine troubles, window, door seal issues etc. Admittedly still works with a VAGCOM, but am dubious.

Exactly what I would say :)

For the price of a 1.9TDi Golf, you will get a much better condition Mondeo. They are a nice drive & a decent size, the boot is brilliant, pram & all that go straight in! My friend has one in the 2.0 TDi model and it is very nice, back seats have ISO connections as well for baby seat.

I am wondering if the Mondeo would be too big. Strangely the missus had no qualms with something like a picasso (ugh) but yet thought things like a Mondog, Passat or A4 were far too big! :rolleyes:

Ah yes, I think ISOFix thing or seatbelts etc required.

Cheers for the suggestions so far folks, keep 'em coming.

I am wondering if the Mondeo would be too big. Strangely the missus had no qualms with something like a picasso (ugh) but yet thought things like a Mondog, Passat or A4 were far too big! :rolleyes:

Ah yes, I think ISOFix thing or seatbelts etc required.

Cheers for the suggestions so far folks, keep 'em coming.

If you park a Golf & Mondeo side by side you will see not much difference, though the Mondeo is better & if I am honest with you, if my wife was to be driving a car with kids I'd want it to be slightly large (extra crumple zone & all that).

Women generally are scared of driving anything big, my missus thought her polo was too big! :blink: Though when she first drove the Supra she was a bit nervous. After driving it a couple of times she is fine!

Same with my sister, she thought the Metro I brought her was too big & then when I helped her buy a Honda Accord she thought no I will not be able to drive that, but she drives it fine now! :)

The VW Passet is quite a good idea, though the TDi models are a lot more expensive for a decent one. With your budget you will be looking for a 1.8T.

Don't rule out BMW's & Mercedes... the smaller engine 1.8, you can hardly really push the rear out, unless it is really snowy. My Dad drove FWD cars his whole life, I got him a C Class (C180) never ever had an issue & as well as reliable they are solid cars. Service at dealership was very expensive & due to it being now 12 years old I get the local garage to do it (not expensive).

Focus or Mondeo

a mate has a tdi mapped to 150bhp, has the aniversary kit etc etc very nice if thats what your after

but i have a Focus 1.8 03 facelift & i love it

Think you may be forgetting my budget and also a missus who only learnt to drive last year, so 0 NCB and this car ideally will be in her name.

306 HDi?! you might find a really clean low millage one on your budget

Hmm possibly, had thought they were quite old now design-wise. Then again the MK4 golf isn't young.

I have found though that new french cars don't age very well, friends but think they're all citroens.

Oh, I see. Well thanks anyway.

*Leaves the thread slightly disappointed*

But you see, if I buy a VAG I could potentially fit 4 people, maybe 5 inside it. Then I could have the passenger play about with my com whilst I whip it around corners.

Apologies. Normal filth will resume shortly.

• 2 weeks later...