The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Haiti DO IT NOW!

far

Just donated some cash - anyone want to join me? please send some money through, dont be tight either! minimum double digits!

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TICK THE 'GIFT AID' BOX

OXFAM HAITI APPEAL

Oxfam has its emergency response team for Latin America based in Haiti so we are well prepared, with a public health, water and sanitation team in Port au Prince ready to respond. We also have emergency supplies in Panama that we are preparing to send in as soon as possible.

Jane Cocking, Oxfam's Humanitarian Director

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just donated some cash - anyone want to join me? please send some money through, dont be tight either! minimum double digits!

PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU TICK THE 'GIFT AID' BOX

OXFAM HAITI APPEAL

Oxfam has its emergency response team for Latin America based in Haiti so we are well prepared, with a public health, water and sanitation team in Port au Prince ready to respond. We also have emergency supplies in Panama that we are preparing to send in as soon as possible.

Jane Cocking, Oxfam's Humanitarian Director

I was just thinking about whether we should do anything as a club for this. There is the most unimaginable destruction out there now. They need help like few before them.

Donated.

Please don't let it be another 13 hours before the next name is added to this list. I'm sure we can all afford at least a tenner without even thinking about it.

I'm sure the link already posted is safe, but beware - people are already registering Internet domains purporting to be appeals for Haiti, but are just a simple cash scam. Some people are so disgusting.

I don't think there's anything wrong with this link, plus you're safe if you use credit card.

The place must be about the most backward, corrupt, dangerous and Godforsaken country on earth, the are still actively practising Voodoo, for heaven's sake. Whilst incredibly sad and dramatic things have happened there in the last 48 hours the realist in me suggests that by the time the President has stashed away a rebuild fund for his palace, the ministers have syphoned off "expenses" and the police force have divvied up some more, the poor sap in a tin hut may not get to see much if anything of your donation. There'll be riots within days, and aid workers will have to do a runner anyway. Not much has changed since Papa Doc, and not much will change in its foreseeable future. Heartless? Probably, but honestly meant.

I agree with much of what you said Chris, but it should stop you donating, I think the US and UN will have a large enough presence in there to ensure things like emergency aid (as that's what we're talking about here) goes to the right people. The entire country is in the shitter right now, not just the poor.

The place must be about the most backward, corrupt, dangerous and Godforsaken country on earth, the are still actively practising Voodoo, for heaven's sake. Whilst incredibly sad and dramatic things have happened there in the last 48 hours the realist in me suggests that by the time the President has stashed away a rebuild fund for his palace, the ministers have syphoned off "expenses" and the police force have divvied up some more, the poor sap in a tin hut may not get to see much if anything of your donation. There'll be riots within days, and aid workers will have to do a runner anyway. Not much has changed since Papa Doc, and not much will change in its foreseeable future. Heartless? Probably, but honestly meant.

I didnt think of it like that but surely making a donation to Oxfam will ensure they use the money themselves for resources and aid as upposed to paying it to government 'officials'

That said even if what you say is true I would still rather donate than not, even if half of the money I send benefits someone its worth it

I didnt think of it like that but surely making a donation to Oxfam will ensure they use the money themselves for resources and aid as upposed to paying it to government 'officials'

That said even if what you say is true I would still rather donate than not, even if half of the money I send benefits someone its worth it

Agreed. Donated.

Disappointing response from such a big club.

i may got shot down for this but....

why does it take something on this scale for people to pipe up about donating cash to a charity? yes its horrific whats happend but there are terrible things and people suffering all over the world every day. how many would be donating if it didnt get as much media attention?

There are people much closer to home to us that need just as much help who have needed it for years.

Disappointing response from such a big club.

whats disappointing about it? because not many have come forward to donate for this one specific cause?

i donate to causes that have either affected myself or family directly or those that have helped.

i find it easier this way as if you are going to start donating to random causes then where do you stop?

BTT

182 views and only 7 donation posts? Surely we can do better than that

Maybe some people just like to donate quietly, and have already done so without the fan fair?

It's been brought to the club's attention, and if people want to contribute, then they can, or not, as the case may be.

On another note, it may be a chance for the US marines to go in, taking over and ousting the bad blood in the country. It could happen, and maybe for the right reasons too.

it may be a chance for the US marines to go in, taking over and ousting the bad blood in the country. It could happen, and maybe for the right reasons too.

Do they have OIL, if not, then highly unlikely....

Atleast in the case of Yemen it is lucky that it neighbours Oman.

OK here's my point of view:

I'm a tax payer (high rate and all that, not that it make a difference). I saw Gordon Brown on the news last night promising that the UK by itself would match the aid given by the UN. One country matching the entire United Nations donation, straight from our taxes. The way I see it, we're already doing more than our fair share before giving more to Oxfam and all that.

OK here's my point of view:

I'm a tax payer (high rate and all that, not that it make a difference). I saw Gordon Brown on the news last night promising that the UK by itself would match the aid given by the UN. One country matching the entire United Nations donation, straight from our taxes. The way I see it, we're already doing more than our fair share before giving more to Oxfam and all that.

Plus my £10. ;)

the poor sap in a tin hut may not get to see much if anything of your donation.

I have to agree with you chris,

I recently went to Phuket along the coast where they had the Tsunami, speaking to a taxi driver there we asked how much did the people actually see from the UK, his answer was "not a lot from anyone at all" he mentioned they had some food supplies but no evidence of the millions we/other countries pledged to them for rebuilding the area.

This comment disappointed me, ok my money went towards the flight fuel, cost of food supplies etc, but 90% of it was probably eaten up by "admin" costs, I think that dedicated disaster aid charities operation costs should be funded by the government, and majority if not all of the donations collected sent to these countries.

I will still be donating as every little bit helps but there should be a better way.