The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some great potholes round here!

Chris Wilson

Now the snow has all but gone the local roads are showing their lack of resilience to the effects of freeze / thaw, and there are some great potholes forming. God knows what this will do to the council tax, and I pity those with low profile tyres and expensive rims. Saw a motorcyclist nearly come to grief deciding which was worse, a parked car, a pothole, or oncoming traffic. Must be hell on a bike :(

Same round here too and expect the same over much of the country.

The local estate roads were only resurfaced 2 years ago, but several have almost completely broken down, these are not minor roads either, there's constant heavy traffic. One section of very busy road has 4 inch deep potholes every 20 foot or so, for over a mile. It's going to cost the local council a fortune to bodge them back together.

Luckily the ones near my house are still 6 inches deep in frozen and compacted snow so are not so bad right now, but guess they will be much the same once it thaws.

Just wish they built the roads properly in the first place instead of just laying new tarmac over old.

• 3 weeks later...

It used to make me seriously angry every time I drove over one in my Supra with its 30 profile tyres and 19" rims and very hard suspension, sometimes I'd think i'd buckled a wheel it would hit so hard. Anyway no council is going to spend money on properly redoing the roads until after the general election this year.

Ive been thinking about applying for a contract to repair the roads (ive done lots of tarmacing over the years) not sure how it works or if its wrapped up, anyone in the council know where i should start?

councils usually work on tenders however my cousin is a county councillor for our area i ask him if your serious..

Guest MoeBlunt

Freeze thawing mate ;)

Basically water expands when it freezes so when water gets in between tiny little cracks in the road and freezes thus expanding and breaking the road apart!!

There's a pothole recently formed in a public car park near me, that looks much more like a meteorite crater, as it's very deep and about 3 feet wide! And it's really bad all round town at the moment.

LOL there is one of the meteorite style crators on the main A6 going into town near me, found it in the golf the other day. Thought the back of the car had fallen off.

Only people that dont seem to bother about it are busses, they just slam into it making it 10 x bigger :rolleyes: