The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Pets in the snow.

tbourner

Talking of pets in the snow I believe there are now a handful of Caucasian Ovcharkas imported into the UK, a rare Eastern European / Russian breed that is probably good for the title of the most dangerous dog on the planet. Forget Pit Bulls, these things are huge, heavy, fast and lethal, God knows what some feral drug dealer could do with a couple of them assuming they didn't bite him first. I saw one at a dog show a few years back, that had come across on some genetics research scheme, and it was MASSIVE! They are strictly speaking flock guardians but the eastern Europeans have used them for crowd control, as they don't have niceties like human rights or blame and claim, they send them into the crowd and they stop biting only when they get fed up, or everyone's scarpered :) They aren't trained to just go for the arms, that's for sure. I used to have a great video of two of them taking on a pack of wild wolves, and to be sure, I wouldn't want to be a wolf with them around ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_Shepherd_Dog

Not a dog you want to come across on a dark night doing something you shouldn't be.!

Caucasian Ovcharkas

Why don't professional dog fighting people in the UK use them then? Or do they? I thought dog fighting groups were quite good at what they did I can't imagine they're simply blinded by the idea of bull fighting types if there are breeds out there that could have them for breakfast! Maybe they'd be worried about controlling something so big, or maybe the bull fighting breeds are actually better in the way they don't let go.

Traditionally they have always used pit bull type dogs, and, despite what people may think of dog fighting, it's still very traditional in its rules. If you took a CO to a typical gypsy organised dog fight I don't think you'd be exactly welcome :) Flock guardians are not very biddable, either, they would be difficult to train to be dog V dog aggressive to order, whilst the fighting breeds, like fighting bulls, have hundreds of years of breeding to make inter dog aggression typical. Without getting into a very unpalatable subject, there's a lot of rubbish talked about pit bulls, they fight by wearing the opponent down, weakening them through dogged holding and blood loss, and it's their stamina that usually overcomes. You can see this in their training regimes, holding themselves off the ground for hours on end, et cetera.

The monster guarding breeds that haven't been emancipated by latter day breed standard "shifting" making them unfit and overweight, like the English Mastiff, are dominant by sheer size and weight, speed and power.