The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Demise of the Metal Gods

Animal

Slightly off-topic, but an interesting read.

And a more up to date take on the music industry...

Right on!

With myface and spacebook, it's possible to do well internationally without even having to visit those countries unless they want, which would cut the risks enormously IMO.

I still think Muse are the most exciting band around at the moment. Easily the best live band in the world. You probably hate them though. ;)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think Muse are the most exciting band around at the moment. Easily the best live band in the world. You probably hate them though. ;)

Yup, lol. Actually, I've heard very little of them, so can't say either way.

But yeah, if you've got the ability, you can pull off decent tours worldwide with no record company support at all. Bolt Thrower have been doing just that for years.

Animal,

That whole 'future of underground metal' is what a lot of Hardcore bands have been doing for decades.

Bands like Fugazi have their own label, they book and manage their own tours, they load their own gear in and out and still manage to play medium sized (2000-4000 person) venues.

When bands put that much effort into doing things outside of the usual music industry way then I have no qualms in paying whatever they feel their music is worth.

I'm heartened to read that 'metal' is heading that way too.

Yeah Martin, it's taking it's time, but we're finally catching up with the HxC guys, lol.

Nev:

If you remove the top layer off the current Metal scene, there are a lot of good bands going around, and a lot of the old guard coming out of the woodwork.

Exodus, Testament, Overkill, Virus, Sodom, Vader, D.A.M. Onslaught and other Thrash legends are being joined by Evile, Mutant, SSS, Municipal Waste, Gama Bomb, Seregon and Hospital Of Death in a fresh resurgence of Thrash.

The '90's really was a terrible decade for Metal and I stopped buying new music until probably 2004 as so many bands were releasing truly awful albums. At the end of it, bands like Trivium and Machine Head and Slipknot were being hailed as new metal heroes (or is that Nu-Metal?). Now all that fuss has died down, things seem to be levelling out and 'proper' Metal is coming back.

Festivals like Bloodstock, Damnation and Deathfest in the UK are bringing a lot of the more underground bands to a wider audience (especially Bloodstock) and Europe has a huge amount of festivals now.

As long as Eric Adams, Joey DeMaio etc are still going strong, then I will be happy! Go Manowar .. the loudest live band I've ever heard!!

They have survived right through the 80's and are still going strong. They run a big festival each year called the 'Magic Circle' in Germany (usually) which I always try to get to if I can. They usually invite along some other bands like Whitesnake, Alice Cooper etc etc, all of which are good for some old-school metal/rock.

Cheers, J

*Makes mental note to have a listen to some of the bands Animal has mentioned later*

I don't like it too grunty though mister.

I've only just started listening to slipknot recently having managed to completely avoid hearing anything of theirs until now. I like what I've heard so far.

The last 2 Slipknot albums (Vol 3 & All Hope Is Gone) are brilliant albums - a lot more mature sounding I.M.O.

On the Thrash side, Evile are the current UK band out there with an early Metallica-ish sound while Municipal Waste, Gama Bomb, Bonded By Blood, SSS & Mutant (1 EP, bit hard to find) are more Crossever Thrash a la M.O.D, Exodus. I Highly Recommend BBB & GB.

The new Slayer album is killer, too.

The New Gama Bomb free album

The free Hospital OF Death cd

Anacrusis Discography I recommend 'Suffering Hour.

If you like Cradle of Filth type stuff, Chthonic are a fantastic Taiwanese Symphonic Black Metal band, Mirror Of Retribution being their last offering.

If you aren't already, log in to LastFM as it lets you search bands and gives you recommendations based on what you listen to and also lets you stream a lot of stuff. I'm on there as Animal_MkIV.

That's 'em. I'm loving their new stuff.

Anacrusis. Suffering Hour by any chance? I used to love that album. Very dodgy haircuts though. Sheesh!

Suffering Hour & Screams and Whispers has some good tracks on it , too. I really like the guy's voice, it's quite eerie in places and he has a mad range from normal to shrieking banshee, lol.

I must admit I wasn't expecting much, but I was surprised, quite good that. Although the singer would sound better without the cheesy Bruce Dickinson style falsetto bits, IMO.

Will be giving this a listen to shortly too.

Also listened to a couple of Bring Me The Horizon songs on somebody else's recommendation too... Bit too shouty for my liking. Heavy is good, I like heavy, but anyone can just scream or grunt the whole way through the song.

You've got to take Gama Bomb as they are - a tongue in cheek play on the old speed metal acts of the 80's like Exciter who did the insane screechy vocal thing.

Their other 2 albums have more obvious fun/piss-take songs on them and it took a few plays to appreciate Tales From The Grave, but it's definately good thrash.

Bring Me The Horizon: Ah, welcome to the dodgy world of Metalcore, lol. Mostly angry, shouty nonsense. I'm not keen on a lot of it tbh, I'll go for old-school Death Metal anytime if I want brutal, uninteligible grunting, lol. Obituary FTW.

I agree with all that is being said about the loss of the big headline innovative bands. I hit my teenage years in the early seventies, and I think that was the best time for the new generation of genuine rock (as against metal) music.

Forty years of Deep Purple and the like may not be everyone's idea of music heaven, but they will have inspired many of the current bands. I don't see any modern bands that will be around in ten years time let alone forty, but then at my age I am probably not looking very hard! Creed/Alter Bridge are the only more recent bands I have seen in the past ten years that have caught my attention.

I went to the last Thunder gig at Hammersmith Apollo (although they sneaked another last gig later). They don't make them like that anymore!

• 1 month later...