The mkiv Supra Owners Club

ebay aluminium radiator

David P

Beware of the 2" thick Mk4 aluminium radiators for sale on ebay.

They do not fit.

I bought one from xps--performance--solutions, who have not responded to my replace or refund enquiries.

These 'not fit for purpose' items are being advertised by several ebay traders.

Don't get caught out.

If this post is in the wrong place, excuse me, but members should be informed.

David

Beware of the 2" thick Mk4 aluminium radiators for sale on ebay.

They do not fit.

I bought one from xps--performance--solutions, who have not responded to my replace or refund enquiries.

These 'not fit for purpose' items are being advertised by several ebay traders.

Don't get caught out.

If this post is in the wrong place, excuse me, but members should be informed.

David

Hi David

That is very unfortunate, can you post up a link of the said item.

It's not for sale, unless someone is silly enough to want to buy it, ;) but as I said, I didn't know where to post this.

Thank's for 'filing' it.

As requested, here's a link to said item, but these are on sale by several ebay traders.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220527417744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Beware.

David

The bottom mounting posts are to large to fit into the rubber mounts, and they are in the wrong positions.

The radiator is to tall and the bonnet won't close, the top mountings are in the wrong position both in height and left/right position and the top hose pipe is in the wrong place.

All in all, a crock of shiny sh!te :(

the asi ones fit...the others on ebay.co.uk dont. they are too high so catch the bonnet when closing by about an inch, rad clamps nowhere near in line and fowl the bottom corners of the rad support panel.

oh and the top rad hose output on the rad is too far to the o/s so the hose needs to be cut (if you have a hardpipe)

other than that they fit! :p

dont bother with them.

if the asi ones come up then they do..

i brought one that looks the same as that. had to modify the oem mounts slightly and my rad had a hole in it. i welded the hole up myself, complained and got a £40 refund. cost me £100 in the end!

as a rule, if you buy cheap/ a copy of an expensive item u will prob spend the same sorting it out! good example is cheap bodykits!

Buying off ebay is always a risk. Just because a weld "looks" good on the surface it could contain a load of faults and impurities that could cause the weld to fail. Just because X Y and Z bought "good" ones, does not mean you will get a "good" one. You have no guarantee that the type of metal in construction stated is actually what you get. Ebay is a great place to sell crap, especially when it comes from half way round the world. Quality control cost money, thats why ebay sellers don't have any, it matters nothing to them, if your item fails you are on your own.

Personally I would not buy new knock off sold on ebay that could cause a catastrophic failure of the car if the item failed. So parts for pressurised systems such as water, oil and brakes would be out. Catch tanks and low pressure tanks etc are Ok if they are finished well enough.

• 1 month later...

These are exactly the same as the Godspeed radiators on ebay.com- as stated the dowel type pins at the bottom are too big for the standard rubbers, the left radiator clamp bracket is about 4-6mm too far too the left and it fouls on the radiator support banel (bottom one) hence the radiator sits too high and the sensor bung at the bottom is the wrong size- I did manage to get mine to fit (well sort of)- I had a friend weld me in a new bung and tap it, cut my rubbers down where the pins go and cut the pins down and have had to do some small mods to the support panel (ie just tap it down with a dolly and hammer on the right side bracket - this isnt flush on the support panel from the factory- bend it back flush with some hammering and radiator drops 5-6mm which is enough for it to fit).

unfortunately for me I didnt do a full search as I bought mine the day afer this was posted.

Short version - DONT BUY ONE OF THESE UNLESS YOU ARE CONIFDENT IN SOME METAL MODIFICATIONS!!! even then it aint worth saving a hundred bucks or so.

Thanks OP I hope this saves someone else.