The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2010 F1 Thread!

Alex

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah but I was thinking that was back when they could have a new engine every race, probably not feasible with current engine limitations?

I'm thinking the advances in technology - materials and design will allow something near this.

And yes, engines have to last, but it's a risk assessment isn't it? Up the boost and win a race you can't win easily, then turn it down for the ones you could win easily.

I wonder if they'd be allowed manual boost control or it'll all be boring and gear/throttle/grip balanced.

I liked it when we used to have completely different set-ups from qually to the race.

At Jordan when we had the Mugen Honda engine, we used to get the 'Suzuka specials'. It would be something like an extra 30hp on the standard engine, but quite likely to grenade itself at any given moment.

We used to stick it in the car, bang out 12 laps with it then throw it in the skip. :D

I liked it when we used to have completely different set-ups from qually to the race.

At Jordan when we had the Mugen Honda engine, we used to get the 'Suzuka specials'. It would be something like an extra 30hp on the standard engine, but quite likely to grenade itself at any given moment.

We used to stick it in the car, bang out 12 laps with it then throw it in the skip. :D

See I'd like a halfway compromise on that.

Yes have the rules an engine should last 4 races or such, but have the ability to run it past safe margins of reliability for a banzai win.

I'm sure Honda would've then created an engine that'd have won them Suzuka but munched itself in the 2nd race. But a win in Japan would be worth the publicity..

See I'd like a halfway compromise on that.

Yes have the rules an engine should last 4 races or such, but have the ability to run it past safe margins of reliability for a banzai win.

I'm sure Honda would've then created an engine that'd have won them Suzuka but munched itself in the 2nd race. But a win in Japan would be worth the publicity..

A Qualy engine that has to do FP1, FP2, FP3 and Qualy, for 4 weekends, then another engine that has to do the race for 4 weekends. A bit more on-tap for the driver in qualy and a less compromised engine for the race. I'd like to see that. Never happen, though.

Roll on the new Turbo-era.

I'd also like to point out how much of a good genuine bloke Webber seems to be

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8494196.F1_star_Mark_Webber_takes_a_pitstop_with_swimmer_Ben_Clark/?ref=mr

From my local paper. No PR stunt, no RBR overalls etc, just went to visit a local lad... only a couple of days before FP1.

I do hope he wins the championship - seems like a really genuine bloke.

How the battle will work out :

• If Alonso wins in Brazil, he will be champion unless Webber is higher than fourth

• If Alonso is second, he will be champion unless Webber is higher than eighth, Hamilton higher than fourth or Vettel wins

• If Alonso is third, he will be champion unless Webber finishes in the top 10, Hamilton in the top four and Vettel in the top three

• If Alonso does not finish on the podium, it will go to Abu Dhabi
    Button can only stay in contention if he finishes first or second but is out if Alonso finishes in the top six or if Webber is in the top two

• Vettel must beat Alonso on track to stay in contention

Can anyone see a Senna/Prost type suzuka situation going on with the last point? :D

I hope he does as well, out of all the contenders he's way out in front in the, all round good bloke championship

Having worked with him during my last year at Williams, I can honestly say IMHO he was a genuinely sound bloke. I remember when he first arrived he asked us all if there were any of us playing any sports and if he could come and join in.

Some drivers won't even speak to you if you said "Hello" to them in a coridoor.

Is anyone also interested in maybe doing a group attendance at something like this if they run it next year?

http://europeanmotornews.com/2010/02/08/watch-a-gp-at-williams-f1/

I know Gaz with his press credentials probably will get to do this sometime himself anyway... jammy git.

I don't think I'll be allowed :(

I've watched a few races at the conference centre though, and if they also gave you a tour of the factory it'd be worth a trip out.

It's basically a little cinema with three screens. They show live timing on one, the BBC feed on another and some hungarian feed on the last.

Is anyone also interested in maybe doing a group attendance at something like this if they run it next year?

http://europeanmotornews.com/2010/02/08/watch-a-gp-at-williams-f1/

I know Gaz with his press credentials probably will get to do this sometime himself anyway... jammy git.

:) there are a few opportunities, but I'd be up for doing something with the forum too.

I know they offer such things at Mercedes World too, and I think at the McLaren site...

:) there are a few opportunities, but I'd be up for doing something with the forum too.

I know they offer such things at Mercedes World too, and I think at the McLaren site...

Well is there any way you can get in touch with McLaren PR or Mercedes PR and ask them if they'd arrange something for the club... ? Sort of a 'where all proceeds go to charity' kind of PR friendly event?

Trying to also think how you could turn it into some sort of feature. Maybe massive amounts of turbo cars turning up at an F1 place when F1's just switching to Turbo engines may be some strenuous link? :)

Well is there any way you can get in touch with McLaren PR or Mercedes PR and ask them if they'd arrange something for the club... ? Sort of a 'where all proceeds go to charity' kind of PR friendly event?

Trying to also think how you could turn it into some sort of feature. Maybe massive amounts of turbo cars turning up at an F1 place when F1's just switching to Turbo engines may be some strenuous link? :)

:D tenuous at best but I'll see what I can do.

what we really want is hamilton to win on sunday, alonso to go out, maybe vettel to(dont like him at all) and webber to come bottom half out of the points, then the last race would be very very intresting. i want hamilton to win but as above webber is a bit like your average jo, quality chap and isnt a cry baby like some others,, huhum vettel, lol

2nd practice times

1 germany S Vettel 1:11.968

2 australia M Webber 1:12.072

3 spain F Alonso 1:12.328

4 great britain L Hamilton 1:12.656

5 brazil F Massa 1:12.677

6 poland R Kubica 1:12.882

7 great britain J Button 1:13.206

8 germany N Heidfeld 1:13.222

9 germany N Rosberg 1:13.333

10 germany M Schumacher 1:13.346