The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2010 F1 Thread!

Alex

Piss off... Why shouldn't he be allowed to defend. Some drivers need to learn to overtake rather than being gifted the position. You have a faster car, go round him.

Indeed

The immaturity of red bull drivers amuses me, I'll just go up his arse he will move, or move to the side he'll move.

No they don't mark, you just go for a flying lesson

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was Hamilton's drive-through for and why are so many cars under investigation post-race?

Hamilton crossed the SC car line just behind the SC, so he should have stayed behind it. If he hadn't hesitated he most likely would have crossed ahead of the SC and been fine.

The 9 cars are under investigation for speeding behind the SC, so the result is very 'provisional'. :rolleyes:

Nice bit of driving from Kobayashi, really spiced the end of the race up.

Red Bull - Gives You Wings. :D

Laugh at Button when asked how he felt about Kobayashi holding him up: "Well, we know you can't overtake here..." That didn't stop Kobayashi making a fool of Alonso on his home turf. :)

• 2 weeks later...

1 Germany S Vettel ...........1:32.280

2 Great Britain L Hamilton ...1:32.614

3 Poland R Kubica .............1:32.725

4 Australia M Webber .........1:32.747

5 Germany A Sutil ..............1:32.968

6 Germany N Rosberg .........1:33.318

7 Germany N Hulkenberg .....1:33.377

8 Great Britain J Button .......1:33.519

9 Germany M Schumacher ... 1:33.955

10 Brazil R Barrichello ..........1:34.016

Not from my understanding.

The F-Duct actually stalls the rear wing and reduces drag - and has nothing to do with the diffusers.

The blown rear diffuser channels of the exhaust gasses through the rear double diffuser, thereby accelerating the air around it, increasing the efficiency of the air through it, giving more downforce at the rear.

I'm sure Tony can explain far better.

The F-Duct actually stalls the rear wing and reduces drag - and has nothing to do with the diffusers.

The blown rear diffuser channels of the exhaust gasses through the rear double diffuser, thereby accelerating the air around it, increasing the efficiency of the air through it, giving more downforce at the rear.

Oh yeah I know the diffuser and wing differences, I didn't know if it was effectively doing the same thing though and stalling the air, reducing drag on the diffuser as well. I wasn't sure how it would work in that case though cos there's always exhaust gas coming out so it would always be stalling it!

I guess it works on some kind of venturi type system to suck more air under the car and increase downforce.

It's a closely guarded secret I'm afraid. :taped:

2nd practice in 10 mins :)

Its exhaust gas as you say directed through the diffuser, a few teams are having trouble overheating some parts of the back end of the car doing this ?

Yea, that's one of the reasons some air is channeled that way and not all of it - the other is that if all air was put through there, the car would be very sensitive to throttle changes and up/downshifts i.e. you could have more downforce at the rear in 5th gear at 150mph than you could in 6th at 155mph due to lower revs giving slower gasses out the back.

Easy in principle, but a real PITA to get working from what I've read, and as Tony said, it's a closely guarded secret so each team will work on the same principle but have different ways of doing it - classically, the f-duct on the McLaren is the most effiicient but many others have it and use it differently. Remember the Ferrari at Barcelona? Alonso using his left hand to do it rather than is leg like the McLaren's...

I'm surprised it took them this long to utilise the exhaust gases...

I think it's always been a trade-off against packaging from what I can see. The cars this year are longer, due to the significantly bigger fuel tank, which means the packaging at the rear can go lower and the engines being 2.4V8 over a 3.0V10 are smaller, which aids packaging and gives more options, i.e. the lower slung exhaust.

Does anyone know that's been in recent years to Silverstone how easy or likely it is to get a grandstand upgrade from a general access ticket (I appreciate they are not cheap !) ???

IT WILL BE A GREAT DAY MATE, I WAS THERE LAST YEAR! GOOD LUCK WITH THE UPGRADE THOUGH!!!!:no: