The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2010 F1 Thread!

Alex

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a bad race but the "excitement" disappeared once Hamilton got into the top 10 by lap 10 or so.

In terms of spectacle it was between the Bahrain's and Australian's GP.

Does points of view still exist? i think ill write in...

Think I spotted it in the schedules today at 4pm. :)

I was one that Sky+'d the sodding race and only got BBC1's section.

I was absolutely fuming, in this day and age there is no need or excuse for a channel swap half way through a race.

If the Easter SoP is so important then the race should have been on BBC2 from the outset. It beggers belief that they would c0ck things up so badly. I don't recall them exactly screaming about it on the website or the quali or I might have noticed.

If the race had been more exciting I'd have been more upset...

Ho hum moving on...why is the FW32 so cr@p?

Congrats Tony, the FI has come good...

Fantastic! We didn't think Malaysia would suit us so much, but still 10 more points in the bag. Pity that Kubica got past us, but brilliant to hear Hamilton on the radio saying we were too quick and he couldn't get past. :D :D

You have a right to be proud chap. I was very very impressed by Sutil and he/you guys were there solidly on effort :)

I'm a big big fan of sutil, and how well FI have done in the last 24 months. I'm not a fan at all of Liuzzi though, I don't think he deserves the drive.

Apart from that :thumbs: to you and the team T

I was one that Sky+'d the sodding race and only got BBC1's section.

I was absolutely fuming, in this day and age there is no need or excuse for a channel swap half way through a race.

If the Easter SoP is so important then the race should have been on BBC2 from the outset. It beggers belief that they would c0ck things up so badly. I don't recall them exactly screaming about it on the website or the quali or I might have noticed.

I agree! I don't think they mentioned it at all... and I watched P1 and P2 too!

Pixelfill's most got me going wtf, I saw the 10am thing then looked at the listings of BBC2 and made the connection before I think they announced it. It is a downright scheduling disgrace as others have said, it should've just been shown on BBC2 from the offset, or alternatively put that cult easter show on BBC2.

Right up there with ITV cutting to commercial whilst Alonso was on the defensive from Schumacher a few years ago.

Prats. If they did this with the world cup they'd be strung up.

The FW32 seems to be middle ground of everything doesn't it? Not great high speed, not great low mechanical grip/exit traction nor great on lateral load. Hulkenburg was impressive though.

Torro Rosso drivers impressed me too with a few solid overtakes, didn't rate Jaimie at all and was in agreement with Brundle.

Alonso did well with the ailing car on the downshift bar one wobble onto the back straight and of course it going pop in the end.

Oh and I'd pay good money for someone to shut up JL... especially his stupid shouting at the finish. He's no Murray Walker.

FIA have clarified that there is no system to be on a car that can alter ride height on a car for qualifying then adjust for park ferme

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8608272.stm

Guess it's because of the teams doubting the legality of RBR, but yet Horner did state on the BBC coverage that there was no system on the RBR car. Not that people can't lie of course.

I thought it was a loophole whereby teams were allowed to regass their shocks or something? And RBR were regassing a bit more than required to up the ride height with more fuel.

So now the FIA have said "Any system, device or procedure, the purpose and/or the effect of which is to change the set up of the suspension" surely that means the loophole has been closed.

FIA have clarified that there is no system to be on a car that can alter ride height on a car for qualifying then adjust for park ferme

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8608272.stm

Guess it's because of the teams doubting the legality of RBR, but yet Horner did state on the BBC coverage that there was no system on the RBR car. Not that people can't lie of course.

A system doesn't have to be on a car for any of the teams to ask for a 'clarification' that would result in a component or part being deemed legal / illegal.

What the FIA have said is that you are not allowed a system that changes ride heights in parc ferme. Whether that system changes the ride height instantaneously (ie by someone adding a spacer block out for instance) or over a long period of time by a gas leaking out of damper the end result is the same, and as such contravenes article 34.5 of the sporting regs.

A system doesn't have to be on a car for any of the teams to ask for a 'clarification' that would result in a component or part being deemed legal / illegal.

What the FIA have said is that you are not allowed a system that changes ride heights in parc ferme. Whether that system changes the ride height instantaneously (ie by someone adding a spacer block out for instance) or over a long period of time by a gas leaking out of damper the end result is the same, and as such contravenes article 34.5 of the sporting regs.

If a system isn't changing, but holding a ride height is that illegal too? As in if a suspension arrnagement was preventing a car from dropping with weight would that be illegal too?

From the wording it seems this is ok as it's not "changing" the ride height.

How would that work? It'd need to be low to the ground in quali and then also low to the ground with fuel onboard - basically the suspension would need to be solid!! I'm sure that wouldn't be good for handling! :D

Although I'm guessing F1 suspension is pretty stiff anyway seeing as they need to hold up a couple of tons of downforce!

How would that work? It'd need to be low to the ground in quali and then also low to the ground with fuel onboard - basically the suspension would need to be solid!! I'm sure that wouldn't be good for handling! :D

Although I'm guessing F1 suspension is pretty stiff anyway seeing as they need to hold up a couple of tons of downforce!

There are mechanical ways around it (or so claim people with a better understanding that I)...without the suspension being solid...I'm trying to work out if all mechanical systems that stop ride height changing are banned...or if only ones that actively or passively reduce height as load comes off are banned.

Surely if the FIA have said "Any system, device or procedure, the purpose and/or the effect of which is to change the set up of the suspension" is illegal, then keeping the ride height constant, independent of load is changing the set up of the suspension?

If load increases/decreases but the ride height remains constant, then surely this is achieved by increasing/decreasing the spring rate? (Or equivalent of) I'd have thought this would be considered as a change to the suspension set up.

Seems pretty straight forward to me, if RedBull haven't got something being altered then surely the car would be on the ground when it had a full tank of fuel at the start of a race ?

More to the point it would be up in the air with no fuel in it during quali!

Anyone got any shots at the end of a race compared to quali?

Seems pretty straight forward to me, if RedBull haven't got something being altered then surely the car would be on the ground when it had a full tank of fuel at the start of a race ?

Wonder if you could have some resevoir system linked to a float in the fuel tank? Inversely.

i.e if the float showed low fuel in the tank that'd allow a low amount of fluid into the shocks for a low ride height

Then when the tank's full it'll allow a higher amount of fluid into the shocks to balance out the weight differential, then as it tapers off it drains it out, lowering ride height with the weight loss. Ok doesn't allow for spring rate changes required etc, quite rudimentary.

Just thinking of how a system works on a car with a reserve tank / twin fuel tanks and how it balances them and pumps fuel into the primary tank when it's low from the secondary tank. Sort of hydrolic too I guess.

I wonder how much money McLaren have spent on the system they were developing that's been scrapped.

Maybe none - they have in the passed been very vocal about a rule bending idea they are "going to put in" only in reality to force the FIA to clarify a rule and get an item on another car deemed illegal.

I believe the last example was the flexing floor on the Ferrari in the early 2000's.

Out of curiosity what's everyone's opinion on who's going to win the China GP?

Hamilton if he qualifies good, if not I'm rooting for the ferraris. For some reason RBR as a team never got.... Likeable.

That and I'm wondering if their qualifying performance suddenly drops off :)