The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Official 2010 F1 Thread!

Alex

I dont think that would work as breaking distances are so short anyway and the racing line will always be cleaner.

Really hard tyres would make breaking distances longer

they cant get close enough to the back of the cars coming out of the corners so longer lasting tyres (harder) would make no difference to that as its still a long drive into the next corner as it takes half the straight to gain to the back of the car

If they are all on the same tyre, with adjustable front flaps then a good driver can make the difference in the run up to an out breaking manouvre.

what we need are tyres that change over the laps and change dramatically. That way drivers make errors coming out of corners with small slides or wheel spin and the car behind can get closer. This way cars are closer coming out of the corner and level coming into the corner,meaning braking isnt as important or daring as before.

Tyres that fall apart like that create marbles.

Also early on people can overtake who think they can look after their tyres better then when they wear down the others who have looked after better will be able to re overtake.
They thought that at the first race, look what happened...

The key is the tyres are too good at their job, its better to have a lot of grip that goes away alot so the cars slide, so the tyres need to be even softer. Thats good for us, not the teams or tyre manufacturer

And who will produce a tyre that is crap....no one

Exactly, harder tyres would be less grippy and this would make things more interesting. No "dirty line". No risk that if you lock up in a daring attempt that your race is fooked, as the tyres will take it. If the tyres are all the same, no one gives a hoot what they are and how sticky they are. It's not a cr@p tyre it's a hard one. And with manadatory stops to allow drivers some clear air to overtake via the pits it would lead to an increase in oppertunities.

This is something they could do this year.

• Replies 880
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be the same company that is currently signed up to supply tyres for next year then. :D

lol yeah I'm stunned they have no idea what tyres they are going to have next year.

I think the only logical option is to PAY Bridgestone to produce the same tyres next year...as the 2011 cars need to be designed.

We seem to be doing the same thing as the FIA; making up new rules that might make it more exciting, but it just makes it confusing!

Surely F1 should be the best, that means the best of everything - tyres, engines, aero, brakes....... That's why I think they need much more relaxed rules so the teams can design what they want and they will be a lot more different to each other.

If the issue is money as you said (3 or 4 teams will wipe the floor with the rest), then put budget limits on them and let the teams decide whether they want to spend it more on tyres or engine development etc.

Out of curiosity and with the... excitement that the Bahrain GP produced, how many people are gonna be up at 5am to watch the Oz GP live?

Not me! I think I'll watch the highlights, but I really can't be bothered giving up 3 hours of a weekend to watch this boredom.

I wish I could watch some kind of GT car racing, but alas, not on freeview.

sky+ ftw

I'd agree but I like to have the live timings up on my laptop and the race screen on my iphone whilst watching the race.

Shame though that it's all live data and you can't just logon and click 'start race' and it rolls through the data lap by lap if you're watching a re-run or recording.

Trying to wing it out to Singapore this year for the GP :)

Out of curiosity and with the... excitement that the Bahrain GP produced, how many people are gonna be up at 5am to watch the Oz GP live?

Unless you're referring to Qualifying the race starts at 7am on Sunday

sky+ ftw

:yeahthat:

I aint getting up early for this probable dross, will probably start it at 9 and play it in x6 mode :D

Schumacher stating F1 is 'not boring'

they cant seem to make their mind up, sometimes they call it a precession and then they say it is not boring - thought a precession in its nature is boring....regardless of the speed.

whats the logic in paying the best drivers in the world 20M in order to save fuel and tyres = pointless

they cant seem to make their mind up, sometimes they call it a precession and then they say it is not boring - thought a precession in its nature is boring....regardless of the speed.

whats the logic in paying the best drivers in the world 20M in order to save fuel and tyres = pointless

Well there is a rocession on, afterall.

Sorry.

This is an example of why some teams will be milking the fuel all they can...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82374

The actual technical directive that the teams receive to let them know that the FIA has permitted the change to the Virgin fuel cell states that it was a "design error of their own making"! :shock:

Nice car.... won't actually make it to the end of the race though. Brilliant! :D :D

This is an example of why some teams will be milking the fuel all they can...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/82374

The actual technical directive that the teams receive to let them know that the FIA has permitted the change to the Virgin fuel cell states that it was a "design error of their own making"! :shock:

Nice car.... won't actually make it to the end of the race though. Brilliant! :D :D

Quite idiotic isn't it?

From P1 and P2 Renault and your guys looking pretty alright, the reserve driver put in a good performance.

I agree with Ant Davidson on the P1/P2 commentary, Le Man etc are diesel / turbo engine, GT2 etc are Turbo engines. The majority of performance vehicles in Europe are either Petrol or diesel turbo now.

Bring back a 2 litre-ish turbo engine, maybe have a set block and internal design, limit on certain materials then lock it down. Allow teams to vary boost pressue (manual control) and no traction control. Then they've kept the costs down of engine R&D and also teams can play with the boost and weigh up risk vs reward.

Race will be good Sunday if it's wet :) Tank slappers ahoy!

:D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/8589435.stm

Lewis Hamilton has apologised after his Mercedes road car was impounded by Melbourne police on Thursday evening.

The 25-year-old, who set the fastest time in Friday's Australian Grand Prix practice, is expected to be charged with improper use of a vehicle.

McLaren's 2008 Formula 1 world champion admitted: "I was driving in an over-exuberant manner and, as a result, was stopped by the police.

"What I did was silly, and I want to apologise for it."

The news broke hours after Hamilton recorded the quickest time in Friday's second practice session.