more snow!

foggy147

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i totally forgot about the brand Nokian they also make very good tyres

and especially wintertyres because it`s a company from Finnland

and @ CW moulded in studs are better yeah but still won`t last long probably one winter

but it`s mostly used by people that actually life in a mountain area from Scandinavia

now i`ve got a question; why don`t you all change your tyres when wintertime comes???

in scandinavia it`s a REAL crime if you don`t have them and also in germany

don`t know about Austria but likely the same

because if you don`t have them you can get a fine and if you get into an accident your insurance company won`t pay out

Guest SupraGTE

@Chris ,do you mean normal studded tyres ? how long they last ? i know many people that haft to change them because of rubber is getting old not because the studds are gone,i might guess an average of 3-5years depending on milage and use

if you drive normal with studded tyres and no burnouts on dry surface the will last for many years , my hakkapeliitta 5 on my S4 that i had , had a very hard life while i lived in sFinland , they lasted 2 winters ......but that was 2 very drywinters with not allot of snow..... was still rubbers on them but the studds where gone mostly because of highspeed on dry highway and 318hp

i have see winters in south Finland with less snow than i UK now and the tyres will hold for several years if just driving normal and only "play" when snow/ice on the surface

Guest Twilight
Twilight - which tyres do you guys find best in the snow over there in Finland?

I know what you're saying with regards to the UK not being equipped. It is a little embarrassing when a country can not cope with a small amount of snow and ice (in comparison to other countries that get proper deep snow and longer term ice).

All our UK ROAD TAX seems to be spent on housing people that fall off the back of trucks coming from France. (as some newspapers would report) :)

Hello Aji

We have two kinds of winter- tires. Most used tire is the winter tire with studs. Nokian tires holds about 50% market share in the tires with studs, since its a Finnish company. Advantage of stud is that it works basically on every vehicle and every condition. It does not care about the vehicle's weight and it has the best performance over ice and snow. It does have few disadvantages and one of them is noise, they are horribly loud inside and outside of the vehicle. Another one is that the stud will wear the roadsurface pretty heavily, so roads end up being very harsh over smooth surface found in central Europe.

Here is a picture from winter tire with studs.

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/2583/nokianhakkapeliitta7009.jpghttp://img243.imageshack.us/img243/4189/nokianhakkapeliitta7air.jpg

Then the other major winter tire is so called "friction- tire". Its studless design and has very soft rubber compound with unique grooves in the contact surface. Friction- tire works best with medium weighted cars since the only way it gets the traction when sheets in the tire expands into the slippery surface. These tires have very low rolling resistance, they are even quieter than summertires and these dont mind so much about the SPINNING WHEEL! :D I always find myself calculating the missing studs after the winter with my cars and the way i drive. :D

Here is a picture from a friction tire.

http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/9996/runkoisotiftn28add.jpg

Both are priced in same category. About 400GBP for a brand new set.

Guest Twilight
If that's for a standard Supra set up, then I'll have some! (Unless that's each) ;)

Yeah, for four tires. Thats a price for typical 205-55-16 size or possibly a 225/45-17 size.

Just in passing on this subject, I have x2 of these non studded snow types tyres on stock 17" front wheels (235/45/17), so if anyone was very desperate and local, or very desperate and had a mate with a car that could get to me! then they could long term borrow them for nowt as i have a runaround that's coping admirably in the conditions and have no need/desire to try the supra out even with these tyres!

I spoke to my step-dad on the phone last night and although I'm seeing reports that Farnham is covered in snow and parts of the A3 are shut (and a woman was pushing a jag down the road - yes the woman was pushing) he told me that the news reports were from 1963 and that it was a load of nonsense, apart from the woman pushing - that was good.