The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more snow!

foggy147

To me the whole shut down of the system smacks of any excuse not to even try and get to work, or so much if they do make the effort.

I went in, 1 bloke was there, then 1 more showed up, then we were told to go home because the managers couldn't make it. So now I'm home again.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We never get lots of snow here.

had a little ice this morning which closed the shcools :rolleyes: but apart from that nothing..

It has been snowing on and off all morning but it's far too warm to stick. That what we get for living somewhere slightly warmer.

It's humiliating, galling and pathetic.

It's f*cking ridiculous in this day and age, that's what it is! :complain:

:D

Excellent! :D

tip for the autos. make sure your engine is of the auto choke before trying to move. back wheels can over power light bracking easy.

Oh, don't I know it! Learnt that valuable lesson on our one icy day just before Christmas.

You must love your job then!

Were you not worried about someone else maybe crashing into your Supra?

I do enjoy it yes, but I'm not one to skive off or let a bit of snow stop me. I've never had a day off sick while I've been working.

If someone else crashes into me then it's their fault, and might get me a respray out of it, it needs one.

Cool. I read on the LEP website that all the buses between Preston & Chorley had been cancelled. Then Lucy told me the bus she was in after work slid into a parked car and she ended up stuck in the Dog & Partridge for 2 hours until she could get a taxi to come out.

yesterday was bad, 2 hours to get form Walton Le Dale to Chorley and people snowed in at Leyland. Everybody seemed to have finished work early because of it so there was no rush hour.

It was snowing at about 4am this morning but not much. I'm working just off Aquaduct Street and there was a handful earlier but nothing special.

It has probably been said already but if you own a proper 4x4 (Land Rover and the like) and can't go faster than 15mph when the road is barely slushy then you need to take a good, long look at yourself.

Numpties.

I need to take a look at myself then.

Although the only reason I can't go more than 15mph is because of all the 1 wheel drive hatchback numpties in front of me!!

It has probably been said already but if you own a proper 4x4 (Land Rover and the like) and can't go faster than 15mph when the road is barely slushy then you need to take a good, long look at yourself.

Numpties.

I've got an L200 :D I'll keep an eye out for you and drop speed to15mph just to wind you up :D;)

True though, some do go very slow. My L200 goes great in the snow but some of the more tarty 4 x 4's aren't that good to be honest. Also bear in mind the size and weight of a proper 4wd truck, takes as long or longer to stop in snow due to weight.;)

Guest SupraGTE
It's humiliating, galling and pathetic. I well remeber 1962 and 1963, FAR worse than this and the schools were kept open, the news touched on the "bad winter", but folks just got on with it. I trudged to school in wellies, as did the teachers and staff. Most people with young kids would have lived through WW2, and a bit of snow wasn't going to stop them getting about their business after getting through that. To me the whole shut down of the system smacks of any excuse not to even try and get to work, or so much if they do make the effort. On the TV this morning was a bus depot somewhere in the UK with all the drivers and staff playing snowballs outside complaining the forecourt was too slippery to get the buses safely down a gentle gradient on to the main road, whilst in the background an array of shovels leant against the wall... If was 2/3rds off flat screen TV's at Currys people would be down the road like a rat out of a drain.

you have a very good point, it is very weird that a countrys goes in "pause" beacuse of weather that is not really that extreme as media writes, the last winters i have seen around up to 12000/month Lexuses an brand new Toyotas with 3bar pressures in summer tires tyres moved in storage from 1 - 10miles a time(on puplic roads also) with summer tyres in wheater conditions with snow up over mirrors and girls and boys around 18years and up moving them with out major problem or complaining , if the job haft to be done it haft to be done!only a matter of motivation and attitude.

it's not fun to drive without winter tyres specially if you have yokohama or dunlop tyres (my experinece from diffrent tyre models on lexus in cold) and i would not take my supra out in this weather , but that schools and bus depot closes thats really just wrong ...... but if i would be in school age i would of course like it :)

@ Jamie, that vids makes me want to go back 15 years in time as that so fun :), but we did it mostly on ice

made it in today. Spent half an hour trying to get over the ice that had formed around the wheels overnight. Cardboard box and a passing stranger set me free :)

You ran over the passing stranger to get moving? Innovative, at least! ;)

I cycled to work today, and having the rear wheel drive was quite interesting on that ice. :)

So many people moan about the way local authorities can't cope with a bit of sustained snow. The problem is winters like this are so rare, investment in the equipment required to deal with snow is not economic sense. We would all moan about the capital tied up in £millions of machinery that never gets used for decades. For us as road users, there is a simple solution, snow tyres. Why don't we all have them, because we don't want to make the investment in some thing we would hardly ever use, sounds familiar.

Back in 1963 we put on snow chains and getting about was possible, in much worse conditions. We had steel wheels so a few paint chips from chains were not a problem.

When I lived in areas likely to suffer from snow I used to keep a length of washing line and a knife in the car. When things got bad I would tie the line round the wheels in loops across the tread, with knots on the tread. I never failed to get home, often driving up hills past people stuck in 4X4's. I even got my Supra home one night with the washing line on the wheels, eveyone on the A14 spent the night their car. It is a very cheap solution, just keep a pack of line and a sharp knife in the car, it is so simple and it works.