The mkiv Supra Owners Club

more snow!

foggy147

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure about Tannhauser .... :) I mean, I have met the gentleman, hell, he's sat in our kitchen and taken tea with us. I understand why he was suspicious of us now, he'd seen the Daily Mail on the table, I thought it was the final demand for the water rates that had caught his eye, but I see the problem now, I was doomed and damned in his eyes from the start ;) He's very kind to me on here, at times complimentary in fact, which I find genuinely flattering, even though we are obviously politically poles apart. What don't I get? Well, it's like this. I maybe go out some place, see some guy, say to `er indoors, "See that *wa* over there, I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him". She says, "Why, what's up with him?". I reply, "Dunno, but he wants a baseball bat over his head". End of conversation, we move on, usually to the bar. Now I worry that Tannhauser would ebb into a long, somewhat complex, and Bertie Russell like monologue about prejudices, fears, ethnicity, accent, town of origin, education, job function, hair style, dress, hell, God knows what else, the mind boggles. I never cease to be impressed by his posts, the depth of research put into them, the references to arcane reading matter substantiating his witterings, they are fantastic. But *PLEASE* tell me that just *OCCASIONALLY* he too has a "That *wa* wants a baseball bat over his head" moment, without recourse to any analysis or conjecture :) If not, my uncertainty remains, it's just not natural! :)

It's like this. For entertainment value, I can and do dismiss all varieties of human being on a daily basis. There are things that I say to Mrs. T in the living room that would get me lynched at work. All social classes, sexual orientations, body shapes etc etc are fair game.

I also have many serious and unfunny prejudices, as most people do, and I'm happy to indulge those, because it makes life simpler. I don't trust those feelings, however, as a basis for a proper debate or opinion - they're no basis for political, moral, scientific policies or arguments.

I also find it very difficult to resist when someone makes what I consider to be an ill-considered or inaccurate statement on a widely read forum (on topics that interest me). As a method of spreading disinformation, the internet is unparalleled in all of history. It frustrates me that someone can write some inflammatory bollocks and reach a global audience in moments, and that a substantial proportion of readers won't even try to challenge it. :)

07:00 - BBC & Met report 25cm of snow due over Bournemouth from 6pm

11:00 - Local news bump that up to 40cm from 6pm

15:30 - 30 seconds of snow. Doesn't settle as ground was wet

20:00 - Not a single flake since 15:30. Pathetic.

I even got the sledge in the shed primed and ready.

Edit: It was -9 at 6am, went for a drive this evening and the car took longer to warm up that usual and didn't go into overdrive for a little while and stuck to 2nd/3rd in D for a little while whilst the box was still warming up I guess. So it's fecking cold here but somehow we have this anti-snow microclimate.

Ice and dangerous roads? Yep, we get that. Snow? Not a fecking flake :tongue:

Still not one flake! Are we the only place in the country with no snow?

Legend! :)

I'd hold off that title until I make it home again... I can't see me getting back out of the car park again.

Cainer, then :)

Well I made it home, and I've made it back in to work again this morning. We had 7-8 inches of snow. :D

Who says you can't drive a Supra in snow?

Even up slight inclines? And do you wait until your car is fully warm before setting off, as trying to get traction when the car is cold is a nightmare, even in MANU D! :blink:

Oh you are brave though. ;)

Slight inclines just need a run up ;) Luckily there are no big hills around here.

I'm a real man and have a manual, so it's a bit easier being able to use the clutch. :innocent:

But yes in an auto you'd want to let the car warm up so the idle speed drops to make it a bit easier I would imagine.