more snow!

foggy147

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Twilight

I started my Subaru from -27 this morning. Was fine, no problems whatsoever. :D

Although i'm located a little norther and this is just a norm for us. But you guys must have quite alot problems caused by this weather? Your transport in general are not equipped with proper tools and accessories, you are not used to weather and your houses are not insulated for colder weather. Aww. I hope you guys survive the colder times without too much problems.

Good luck

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4839/lumi.jpg

Not my Subie in the picture, i was too fast so they couldnt catch me into film. :D

When I lived in areas likely to suffer from snow I used to keep a length of washing line and a knife in the car. When things got bad I would tie the line round the wheels in loops across the tread, with knots on the tread. I never failed to get home, often driving up hills past people stuck in 4X4's. I even got my Supra home one night with the washing line on the wheels, eveyone on the A14 spent the night their car. It is a very cheap solution, just keep a pack of line and a sharp knife in the car, it is so simple and it works.

I keep washing line and a knife in the car, but thats so I can continue the Lord's work in cleansing the streets of prostitutes.

Can you explain a bit more how you attach the line to the tyres? Use both sides of the paper.

Twilight - which tyres do you guys find best in the snow over there in Finland?

I know what you're saying with regards to the UK not being equipped. It is a little embarrassing when a country can not cope with a small amount of snow and ice (in comparison to other countries that get proper deep snow and longer term ice).

All our UK ROAD TAX seems to be spent on housing people that fall off the back of trucks coming from France. (as some newspapers would report) :)

Although i'm located a little norther and this is just a norm for us.

That's it exactly though. It's not the norm here at all. I think we have about 2 snow ploughs in the whole country. If we invested millions on snow ploughs and proper equipment, then chances are it would be warm and wet for the next 10 years and everyone would grumble at what a waste of money it all was.

Not too sure if I am the only one but I love this weather, better than rain

Fun in the snow

I'm with you on that one!

I keep washing line and a knife in the car, but thats so I can continue the Lord's work in cleansing the streets of prostitutes.

:lol:

Can you explain a bit more how you attach the line to the tyres? Use both sides of the paper.

I think what he means is tie some knots in the cable, then feed it through the spokes in the wheel and back round again, line up the knots with the tread in the tyres then tie it up tight. Simple and brilliant!

:lol:

I think what he means is tie some knots in the cable, then feed it through the spokes in the wheel and back round again, line up the knots with the tread in the tyres then tie it up tight. Simple and brilliant!

Ah, I see. That's a very interesting idea. I wonder how long it would last on tarmac once you had overcome whatever snowy hill required its use.

Why would there ever be a snowy hill with lots of clear dry tarmac roads all around it?

In the last few days bits of the A684 have been almost impassable with my FWD car due to compressed snow and ice, yet a mile later I'll be on a dual carriageway that has been gritted and cleared.

Twilight - which tyres do you guys find best in the snow over there in Finland?

I know what you're saying with regards to the UK not being equipped. It is a little embarrassing when a country can not cope with a small amount of snow and ice (in comparison to other countries that get proper deep snow and longer term ice).

All our UK ROAD TAX seems to be spent on housing people that fall off the back of trucks coming from France. (as some newspapers would report) :)

in scandinavia they mostly use these tyres

http://www.stockphotopro.com/photo-thumbs-2/AY99TJ.jpg

however they are forbidden in the UK :p

Guest MoeBlunt

this snow/ice is really starting to do my head in!!

It's not even because it's difficult to drive on but because of the stress i'm in while driving the supe!!

I am having to concentrate sooooooo hard on the road so i don't end up crashing her!

these wintertyres came highly recommended

- Bridgestone Blizzak LM20

- Michelin Alpine A3

- Continental Wintercontact TS800

- Pirelli W190 Snowcontrol

Are these just pure snow tyres? OR can they handle surfaces that are wet /cold from general winter weather?

How bad is the stud wear running on wet, snow and ice free tarmac? I had some hand studded tyres on a 3 litre Capri years ago, in similar conditions to those a lot of the UK are enjoying at the moment. It turned it from an accident looking to happen to a fabulous car that blew peoples minds and probably CAUSED a few accidents when others appeared to think if the kid in the Capri can do that, so can I in my XXXXXX :) The conditions were patchy though, in places, and on snow free tarmac the studs soon came out. Moulded in studs are probably a LOT better though?

these are snow/winter tyres, ideal for every type of winter surface

within reason ofcourse

but these would help you alot

Yep, when it comes to driving on the snow and icy conditions then its all about the tyres generally speaking.