The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where is the Front wiper relay?

StuartW

Front wipers do not work, Washers do and so does all else.

Tried all the tests and checked all fuses, Power probed everywhere, All tests good. Motor tests good. Stalk test not good but tried 2 different known workin ones :search:

Cannot find any location reference to the Wiper relay!

Thanks in advance :)

• 2 weeks later...

The relay is built into the wiper stalk, I unknowlingly used a UK dash loom with a J spec drivers kick fuse box, The colours change 2 times with that loom configuration and ONLY the wipers pinouts on the main harness plug are different!

The wiper motor has an interrupted live feed (rotary contact switch) that activates the relay in the stalk for intermittent use and park.

All working now.

Hopefully this will be of some use to someone when they search fir it:search:

• 3 years later...

Seems I may have a similar issue with this. Im desperately trying to get my wipers working for Japfest this Sat and have stripped back the motor to check everything looked ok with that, seemed fine. I next tried to volt meter the plug but was only get an 11.5v output on one pin when the ignition is on, irrespective of whether wiper stalk was turned or not. My mate said the motor may need to be connected to complete the circuit, so I connected the motor up and again was only getting one pin to show a voltage output (same pin again), so next I was going to check the relay but coulnt find it.

I have swapped out the front loom of the car because the stock loom run up inside the wheel arch and due to no arch liner the looms where worn through, so I got another complete front loom from Keron and swapped out, but I cant remember if wipers where working before then or not ?

Obviously I have quite a few spare plugs that arent plugged into anything because of the stripped interior but I did look to check to see if anything else could be plugged in but everything seemed to be female plug and I checked the fuse box in the drivers foot well and could only see one plug that appeared to be missing but couldnt find a plug that fitted.

Anyway, does anyone have any specific knowledge around the wiring for the wipers, I really need to try and bottom this out before the drifting on Sat, its scheduled to rain and no wipers will be horrendous :(

Was really hoping it was just going to be a seized motor but Im not so sure now :(

Just a quick update for anyone else suffering a similar problem. I ran a direct wire for the earth between the loom and motor plug and a sirect wire for the constant 12v, then ran another 12v feed from the battery and found the 2 pins for slow and fast wipe, so connected back up the plugs and cut the wire on the back of the motor plug for the slow wipe, and spliced in a direct 12v feed from the battery with a on/off switch beside the drivers seat, meaning I have working wipers for Japfest tomorrow, prob gonna need it lol. I think possible the issue either lies with the wiper stalk/relay failing to send power/signals or from where I have swapped out my front engine bay loom for a new one and its a loom from a different UK/Jspec car, still to be diagnosed, but if anyone has a spare stalk assembly that I could buy/test to see if thats or the loom, please contact me :)

• 8 months later...
I am now having this problem with no front wipers ive changed my engine bay loom from j spec NA to j spec TT. My washers and rear wiper all work fine. Im not wanting to add additional wires running about the bay to battery etc. Anyone help?

most of the switch gear and 99% of faults lie in the stalk mechanism that can be bought for not a lot of money used, Try Keron. Hope that helps.:)