The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Front end damaged 560bhp VVTI Supra

MarkR

Fully agree Matt and was not having a pop at AFR by the way, it really does make you think though as a customer, I would almost insist that the car be on a trailer should it need an MOT or work off site

I fully understand the risks of road mapping and a total loss during this "high speed" testing is your risk but a trip to an MOT station, I would be very annoyed to say the least if I was not compensated beyond the expected poor insurance offer

If you sell your "£50,000 Supra" for £13K thats your call and loss (I did !!), but for someone else to crash it and expect you to pick up the loss, that is a bit much IMO :)

Didn't see it as a pop at all mate :) I can really see Mark's problem, I too would be absolutely gutted :(

I've also had to take a view on road mapping, it's only ever to check what's been done on the dyno but it's very risky. I'm glad our dyno goes upto 200mph though, means most of it can be done in relative safety ;)

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd give Peter Sharp a PM - Toyota themselves wrecked his car when it was in for a service and practically rebuilt it for him. Might be worth seeing what he was offered initially etc. Edit: Username is now Sharpie http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/member.php?u=342

A huge company like toyota would be able to 'swallow' the cost/loss, a smaller garage could well fold if they were to have to pay out on a 50K claim, its the one BIG prob dealing with modded cars, with a stock type family car its pretty cut and dried what its really worth.

its a bit like if a customer came in and said its got a real bad missfire in 4th at 6500 rpm, leaves car and mechanic takes car out on road test ( as customer knew) and it blows up!!! Who is liable???

The garage could however maybe negotiate with the INS company for the salvage and find a donor car and rebuild it with Marks bits.

Sorry about your predicament but I can't really form a judgement on this unless I know the figure offered as well as the £13k.

If they offered £20K plus the car then I'd be well happy. £10K plus the car would put me into consideration mode about how much it would cost to get a mechanic to strip it, then how much am I likely to get back on the parts that will sell relatively easily. £5K and the car I would be frickin' furious but then they could be considering how much to put it right and how much additional depreciation due to Cat C/D.

The other thing I don't think many are considering is the personal relationship you strike up with a Garage and it's mechanics during the build. Many often become close friends as a result which then makes it very difficult to get heavy, especially as I am guessing they also feel a load of pain as they would have been very proud of what they had built.

I note the vvti element and I share the subtle pint that given my time again, I would have converted a non vvti to single as this is still mostly unknown territory and even done right, the additional costs far outweigh the benefits IMHO.

As always though Mark you are handling this with a shedload of dignity and common sense and I wish you all the very best in the outcome and your future plans. (Although if you move from the supra scene I will rescind this last paragraph :p ).

Thanks again guys. I've received a settlement offer that I'm happy with today via email. They will be salvaging the car so I'm afraid the car is no longer available. Apologies to all that Pm'd me.

Nice one mate, does that mean you are on the hunt for another supra?

am sure someone on here will buy it , but congrats

Pretty sure someone will get their hands on a bargain. I'm just happy to get the payout I needed. I'll be happier when I get the cheque and it clears :)

Nice one mate, does that mean you are on the hunt for another supra?

Soon but not yet. I'm hanging on until Feb to see what the job market looks like. I'm on a 3 month rolling contract and work is a little unstable at the moment and my contract is up in Feb. If things get better I'll be on the hunt, but if not I'll hold on to the cash as an emergency blanket until I feel positive about the situation. I'll be looking anyway, you know how it is :D

Glad you got it sorted mate, I know everyone wants to ask how much? i wont blame you if you keep it to yaself, i just want to know if its worth me taking my car there for them to smash up:D

I'm going to keep it under my hat for the time being. :p

• 1 month later...
NO way .... :faint: (how much do they retail at?)

REEEEESULT dude :D

Great result, but I miss the Sooop

On here? :blink:

Yeah?!?!?

OOO maybe this will end up at a copart where i can buy it and put the engine and gearbox in mine

Would be good! The engine / gearbox are fine from what I could tell.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. You might also be interested in our Guidelines, Privacy Policy and Terms of Use.