The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Suspension Top Arm Replacement

dandan

Has anybody here replaced their rear top arms?

The reason I ask is that I have just bought a complete new set of suspension arms and bolts and am a little bemused at the mounting arrangement for these top rear arms.

Most people know that these top arms have the spherical bearing protected by a rubber seal/bush arrangement....very nice for precision and alignment and holding geometry settings longer than a rubber/urethane bush. I was expecting the mounting bolt to be a close fit inside the ID of the mounting hole in the bushes but mine is very slack and I'm wondering if this is normal. Does anybody know?

My top arm part numbers are 48770-19025 and 48790-19025

The mounting bolt part numbers are 90119-14040

The bore through the steel part of the bush measures 14.22-14.31mm and the OD of the bolts is 12.9-13.00mm which means it can have as much as 1.4mm clearance.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers

Dan

I changed mine a while ago and im sure there wasnt anything like the amount of clearance youve measured

What's the fit of the bolt like in the subframe? Should be a reasonable fit, sounds like you may have the wrong nuts and bolts, the correct nuts are self locking with a tab to hold them.

It seems very odd to me and that's why I posted up. I am not in the middle of doing the job yet, I am just checking all the parts over before I start so I can't say what the fit is like in the subframe. I do not have any nuts yet, they should be arriving next week sometime.

According to ToyoDIY the bolt part number is correct (90119-14040). I might go out and try to remove one of the old bolts to see how that compares....

From the very knowledgeable Toyota supplier I buy all my parts from in the US when the UK prices are too high:

"The bolts are the same part numbers from 93.5-2002. The clearance is normal to prevent the bolt from rusting to the inner bushing sleeve."

I see you edited the above from:

"From the very knowledgeable Toyota supplier I buy all my parts from in the US if the UK traders can't be halfway competitive:"

:) We (UK traders) are limited by what Toyota UK charge *us*, short of amassing a warehouse full of sundry Supra parts imported from abroad in the hope of making a few percent on 0.5% of the stock, we are stuck with trying to make a profit out of the 10 or at best 12% we get off ourselves ;)

That was well spotted chris as i changed it immediately. It wasn't aimed at you at all. Toyota prices from my local dealer would vary wildly with some stuff being very cheap and other seemingly simple parts costing a huge amount. . . No doubt a supply and demand thing. Now my local dealership has closed down and taken the parts supplies with it so i buy from wherever i can and if that happens to be abroad when the timing is right then so be it. It wasn't meant to be a dig at our traders on the board so i will apologise if you took it that way. I.ve never bought toyota parts from our forum traders, only from toyota. It sounded a bit harsh when i read it back after posting and that's why i changed it immediately. Sorry if it upset you. I get the same issues in my industry competing with products from the US and Canada so i know what it's like to be strangled by the way things simply have to be here.

No offence at all Dan, hence the smilies. I buy stuff globally myself. The exception is with things like serious race stuff, where I may farm jobs out as I don't have the machinery to complete certain jobs correctly. I *always* allow them to source the bits as one I think they should have some profit in the parts, you don't take your own steak to the manoir aux quatres saisons, do you, and two if the bits are wrong, or cause their work to go wrong, it is probably their problem :) I think you can hammer some professionals into a state of annoyance if you don't allow them a bit of margin in everything.

I have one good used rear Toyota Bilstein here now, it'll need the seat spraying and freeing, then tapping off. That'll give you the stuff you need to alter your new ones. £28 including VAT delivered.

• 4 weeks later...
No offence at all Dan, hence the smilies. I buy stuff globally myself. The exception is with things like serious race stuff, where I may farm jobs out as I don't have the machinery to complete certain jobs correctly. I *always* allow them to source the bits as one I think they should have some profit in the parts, you don't take your own steak to the manoir aux quatres saisons, do you, and two if the bits are wrong, or cause their work to go wrong, it is probably their problem I think you can hammer some professionals into a state of annoyance if you don't allow them a bit of margin in everything.

I have one good used rear Toyota Bilstein here now, it'll need the seat spraying and freeing, then tapping off. That'll give you the stuff you need to alter your new ones. £28 including VAT delivered.

Fair enough - I'm glad you didn't see the worst in my original (2 second life) post :) Like I said, I did change it immediately as it sounded a lot worse than what I actually meant.

Sorry for the slow reply but I forgot all about this as I've been away for a while. If you still have that rear Bilstein then I'll take it so I can get started with the modification work, how do you want paying?

One tech question - are the front and rear lower seats identical?