The mkiv Supra Owners Club

AVG Free 9.0 issues?

Digsy

I upgraded from AVG Free 8.5 to 9.0 today, set a full scan runing and then left my PC alone for a few hours.

The scan came back clean but when I went back on the web I noticed a few oddities. This could all be a massive coincdence or a problemat my ISP's end that just happened to also crop up today but this is happening:

1) Links on Facebook take me to a blank page, or a half loaded page. Clicking refresh brings up the page I wanted. If I open the same link in a new window it comes up straight away. If I try to navigate away from Facebook while I have the blank page, my browser (IE7) hangs. This does not happen if I use Firefox.

2) Browsing the web seems slower in general.

3) Lots more hard disk activity while browsing and generally slower performance (although Task Manager doesn't show any hungry apps running).

I've tried disabling the link scanner in AVG but it makes no difference. I even completely uninstalled it and very little seemed to improve, so I put it back on. Normally that would be enough to prove to me that its not AVG, but I keep coming back to the

fact that all seemd fine until I installed it.

I know there are alternatives to AVG (and certainly to IE7) but I've used them for ages without issue.

Has anyone else had any problems after upgrading?

AVG 9.x does have a new cache/optimisation server feature that will cane your hard drive a bit and generally slow the computer down. Noticed it on mine straight away.

You can safetly get rid of it by ending the task - avgchsva.exe

and then renaming the avgchsva.exe file inside the AVG program folder so that AVG cannot locate it. (C:\program files\avg...)

AVG still works fine and doesn't but an eyelid. This feature will hopefully be optional in later releases!

OK, I did some Googling and apparently there are some issues with the link scanner in AVG9 (seemed to work fine in 8.5 so why try to "fix" it?). I disabled it in the manner described and my PC seems a bit more like its old self. Funny that I didn't notice the same improvement yesterday :(

I'll stick with it to see how things go. If it gets worse again then I'll try another AV.

I'd suggest you install it first with everything enabled and see what happens. I put it on Sarah's (considerably less ancient) PC and it worked fine. Also, I think you run Vista, whereas I'm still on XP.

If you get issues then open AVG by double clicking on the tray icon, then double click on "link scanner" and un-tick the three options at the bottom of the window. Click "save changes" which will take you back to the AVG window. Right click on Link Scanner and select "ignore the state of this component". This will stop AVG harping on that you aren't properly proteted.

See you tomorrow night!! :)