The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A router problem

CJ

I think I already know the answer but wanted clarification.

I curently do not have internet access at home. The lights come on on my router with the exception of any of the 4 LAN line lights. Am I right in assuming this is a problem with the telephone line coming in? I have tried another new router but this too has the same lights showing. I have also reset the router but to no avail.

What thinks you?

usually have 6 lights.. 4 x LAN, 1 x WLAN and 1 x ADSL

the 4 LAN lights won't be lit because there's nothing plugged into the LAN ports.

the WLAN will be lit if wireless is activated

the ADSL... maybe you do have internet and they've not told you.

usually have 6 lights.. 4 x LAN, 1 x WLAN and 1 x ADSL

the 4 LAN lights won't be lit because there's nothing plugged into the LAN ports.

the WLAN will be lit if wireless is activated

the ADSL... maybe you do have internet and they've not told you.

I have a cat 5 cable plugged into the Lan port and into my PC but it is not showing as a connection.

if you can't connect to the router that could be why it's not showing...

could be a Xover cable rather than a standard RJ45

I think I may have confused you and me with my first post. To recap:

I have had internet at my home and using this router for 18 months or more. It recently just stopped.

ah got you..

Might sound silly but have you tried a different RJ45 cable?

two different routers and there's no light showing on the LAN connection on either. Both routers have WLAN and and ADSL lights showing but you can't get internet access. Only other common denomiatior could be the network cable.

(is this where you tell me you can't connect to the net on wireless as well??)

If you run IPCONFIG from the command line are you seeing an auto-enabled IP address? If so, test cable, try different socket, check LAN connection on PC is up. Is the PC using a NIC or on-board? Sounds like issue is PC based, not router.

Im at work now so will have to check this out later.

As an aside, I tried something else today. I tried running the telephone line direct to my house phone without going through the filter. I assumed that this would cause the house phone to emit a bad noise when trying to connect but in fact the line and noise were as normal.

Is this to be expected or should it have made a funny noise?

The lights come on on my router with the exception of any of the 4 LAN line lights.

This suggests that the ADSL signal is coming down the phone line and reaching your router OK. Of the non-LAN lights, one is usually an indicator for the routyer getting a boradband signal, and I presume this one is lit as normal. It also suggests that there is no signal between the router and whatever computer(s)/devices you're plugging into it.

I have tried another new router but this too has the same lights showing.

This, coupled with the above, indicates the problem could be with the computer's network port or the cat5 cable you're using. Can you use another PC and try connecting that to the router with a different cat5 cable?

You could try pinging the router in a DOS window. If your router's address is e.g. http://192.168.0.1 then try "ping 192.168.0.1".

It could also be a problem with IP address and/or subnet settings on the computer. I'm at the edge of my knowledge here, but I think the router and connecting PCs need to be on the same subnet. In WinXP, go to Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections. There should be a Local Area Connection icon. Right click it, go to Properties, select "Internet Protocol" and click Properties. These are your IP address settings.

With the cable plugged in & do you get any activity lights on the back of the PC?

If you do Start > Run > Type CMD > Hit Enter > Type IPCONFIG /ALL

Could you show us a screen shot or tell us what you are getting? Make sure you are plugged directly into the router.

You could try pinging the router in a DOS window. If your router's address is e.g. http://192.168.0.1 then try "ping 192.168.0.1".

It could also be a problem with IP address and/or subnet settings on the computer. I'm at the edge of my knowledge here, but I think the router and connecting PCs need to be on the same subnet. In WinXP, go to Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections. There should be a Local Area Connection icon. Right click it, go to Properties, select "Internet Protocol" and click Properties. These are your IP address settings.

With the cable plugged in & do you get any activity lights on the back of the PC?

If you do Start > Run > Type CMD > Hit Enter > Type IPCONFIG /ALL

Could you show us a screen shot or tell us what you are getting? Make sure you are plugged directly into the router.

I will do this later when I finish work. I should get somethingt up at about 21.30 UK time

Thanks for all the replies - I really appreciate the time you folks take.

I will do this later when I finish work. I should get somethingt up at about 21.30 UK time

Thanks for all the replies - I really appreciate the time you folks take.

No problem CJ, keep us informed...though at 9:30pm I will be nowhere near a computer! :D

Any thoughts on the lack of noise on the line when not using the filter? I assumed that the normal phone line would then be corrupted hence the need fopr the filter

It's the other way around I think, the filter is to stop use of the telephone affecting the data usage.

Finally sorted.

When I got in last night I checked the device manager and lo and behold, the ethernet card was not showing at all.

I looked in the bios and nothing to change there either and so 10 euro and a new card later that is sorted - sort of!

I now have a problem that I cannot remember my user name nor password from my isp to set up the new connections. And as this is Greece, it is going to be a long drawn out process trying to get them