The mkiv Supra Owners Club

20 MPH Zones save lives...

Axle

I laugh at the way they put a pic of a car mangled up in the article, did it swerve onto the pavement and hit someone and then hit a tree? Which leads me onto...

...are these pedestrians killed on the road, or on the pavement, and for the ones killed on the road, how many weren't watching what they were doing?

...are these pedestrians killed on the road, or on the pavement, and for the ones killed on the road, how many weren't watching what they were doing?

Apparently it's irrelevant. The pedestrian can never be at fault. It's much easier and more lucrative to slow the cars down than teach kids the highway code. :rolleyes:

Also, how many accidents in 20 or 30 zones involve a car that didn't use it's brakes at all? They come up with all the data on death caused at 30mph (gathered from crash testing I guess) but in a 30mph what are the chances you would actually hit someone at 30 without braking?

I have no problem with 20 mph areas.

I live in one and have to travel about 1/2 a mile before I reach a 30 limit. There are lots of driveways out of which kids regularly emerge on bikes/trikes especially in the summer. It'd be all too easy to find one stuck in the front of the car! At 20mph, there is a lot more time to react to the unexpected and I don't think it's a particularly high price to pay. I don't have kids, but I understand how difficult it is to be able to keep them in sight and under control at all times. Accidents happen - people aren't machines and where they are involved, accidents will happen.

What pi$$es me off is the mums with the kids in the back driving round here at 30 to 35mph on the school run! They're the ones that should know better and would scream the loudest if a child was hit by a speeding driver round here.

I have no problem with 20 mph areas.

Me too, in fact I drove at 20 or under in Portsmouth long before they changed them all to 20 zones. It pisses people off behind me but I just don't feel comfortable going quicker, as I can't register all the gaps in cars quick enough where people could be hiding.

Going back to my previous, I also drive slowly because there are some real pillocks on the paths who don't seem to realise how dangerous it is just stepping out - especially at crossings it really winds me up how we have to obey the red lights yet they just walk out on the red man, right in front of my 2.5 tonne 4X4!! :rolleyes:

Speed is not the real main cause of accidents like this, its plain lack of concentration.

And as mentioned already, there is a growing trend to blame everything on the motorist.

The streets would be much safer if pedestrians were told the dangers of walking out into the path of vehicles without looking, or being drunk, or messing around with mates as always happens.

Me too, in fact I drove at 20 or under in Portsmouth long before they changed them all to 20 zones,

This seems to be the norm on the South Coast. Whatever the speed limit is, people will driver 10mph below it.

They have to come to a complete stop before they turn left too.

IF 20 mph zones are planned correctly (and after 5 years of experience I have no faith whatsoever in UK councils) it could work well and have no impact on traffic. I used to drive a lot around in Berlin and almost every side road is limited to 30 km/h, main roads are usually 50km/h, few are 70 km/h. Yet, because it was PLANNED properly, traffic is usally flawless. They also got rid of all annoying speed bumps and they are WAY better in EXECUTING fines for speeding and general punishment for unruly drivers.

Yep, many of the UK 20/30/40/50mph zones are very poorly placed.

I work for a company that works for the Highways Agency and in the past [we] have put in speed restrictions purely because it is the cheapest option. The logical option would be to improve the road, but usually a speed limit is seen as the 'quick fix'...which basically fails to address the cause factor of accidents in that particular location.

The main problem is the extorsionate cost to do anything meaningful here in the UK. And this usually results in only one option available when it comes to 'addressing' accident hotspots.

There is basically too much red-tape, too much health&safety costs, cost of materials and contractors are extortionate etc. etc.

This seems to be the norm on the South Coast. Whatever the speed limit is, people will driver 10mph below it.

I like to think I drive to the conditions, but there are plenty of Sunday drivers around here that are completely useless. 35mph in the 40 limit, then still at 35mph when it changes to a 30 limit in town. :rolleyes:

Are you sure you don't live in Eastbourne, as that is exactly true, except for the addition that none of them indicate to let you know where they are going! Must be their seriously bad arthritis, or something.