The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone fancy teaching me how to weld?

JamieP

I'm a welder,but i'm to far away, or i'd show you,you don't need a course just get one and have a go,it's verry easy after a while,gas is harder than mig and arc is a pain with the slag that you have to knock off,mine peels off but ive been at it a while.

If you have access to a mig that's a start. I was basicly thrown in the deep end when I was learning. What they did was give me pieces of scrap metal, clean then up with a belt sander and off you go. Also had me write my name onto pieces aswel then I just applied the same thing to the job and I picked it up pretty easy.

Its all about the hands on experience. Granted at 1st your welding will probly look like pigeon shit but you learn how to make it better as you go if you take long breaks from it like I have its forever going to look crap :D but if your constantly doing it you shouldn't have a problem

Mig welding for structural steel is very easy if your a hands on bloke. Just be careful of specified welds if you doing structural stuff i.e leg length, root runs etc if it's heavy beams.

If you want a run to north wales in your car;) i'd be willing to spend an afternoon with you in our workshop to teach you the basics:d

Seriously though if you went to night classes i think you would pick it up very quickly, but you will need a decent welder to do steelwork.

How thick is this stuff? Sounds like you are into 3 phase stuff, so you are limited where the welding takes place unless you buy a 3 phase generator too. Sounds like a job for a big MIG set to me.

Ranges from 8mm to about 15mm id guess, the fabrication company i normally use just comes to site and welds it up with a very small box that plugs into my 110v transformers, i will get some pics of what im welding tomorrow.

I have to pay for a welder to come to site only a couple of times a month i guess, its just the waiting time that i dont like, rather be able to do it myself, would come in handy for many things at work.

Ranges from 8mm to about 15mm id guess, the fabrication company i normally use just comes to site and welds it up with a very small box that plugs into my 110v transformers, i will get some pics of what im welding tomorrow.

I have to pay for a welder to come to site only a couple of times a month i guess, its just the waiting time that i dont like, rather be able to do it myself, would come in handy for many things at work.

If it's site welding they'll be using Arc welders (not MIG), if it's a small box probably an inverter type if it runs off 110v transformer.

To be honest positional Arc welding is a different game altogether mate. That will take a bit more practice and if your talking of beams with flange thickness of about 15mm. There decent size beams so decent welds of a reasonable quality will be needed, plus any structural engineers (if involved?) won't like site welded beams and could quite easily pull one's with suspect welds.

I take it you mean beams like these?

Not on that scale, talking single beams here, Odd A frame for roofs, most welding is done off site, just the odd flange that needs doing, i bolt everything as per engineers drawing but for my own peace of mine i like to weld all joints.

To be honest you shouldn't really weld bolted connections unless stated, if there moment connections sometime they are required for movement in the structure. As long as grade 8.8 bolts are used, ideally in shear, they won't go anywhere.

As for the welding, practice makes perfect:d Buy yourself a decent Arc welder, get some 10mm plate and practice with butt welds flat on the bench and when you get the slag to look like a scorpions tail (curls up and virtually falls off with a tap) then stand the plates up and practice vertical welds weaving from side to side and as you hover the rod over each plate count to 2 then swing to the other plate and count to 2 working from the bottom up and keep going. Not as easy to master as MIG but it is only practice. Obviously this is a very general idea, maybe the next time the lads come to do a weld have a chat and ask them to show you;)

Unless your spending big bucks on a 240 mig set you wont pull the amps for heavy steel work. We use 110v inverter MMA (arc) welder for the site welding that will do what you need, you cant really teach arc in a day though you will get the basics but a lot of time an dedication is needed to perfect it in all positions.

you would be best off doing a night coarse on it, as long as the beam end plates, gussets or what ever welding are done in the flat possition it wont take you that long to get the hang of.

At least if you do a welding coarse you will have something of a coding at the end of it which may help on some jobs.

Best bet is to find a more reliable welder and pay them to do it :D

I learnt to weld on my old landy with a cheapo machine mart welder and scrap plate as m life says, practise makes perfect, Practise welding pieces together in all shapes and forms.

The key to arc welding is good penetration, but you dont want to burn through the steel.

If you bolt your steels anyway and the weld is an extra precaution then just have a go, you can always pay to have it done if your not happy with your own work!

just a heads up if you are not coded and something happens like a weld give way and injures somebody your in a world of trouble.

prime example when i was fishing the engineer on the quay welded a hanging bracket on a beemer,basicly holds the beam up.

this eventually gave and killed the skipper as the beam fell down ontop of him.consequently the engineer didnt have the right coding to of done the work and was tried for manslaughter.