The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you define your nationality

CJ

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some of that cinnamon waffle stuff made by car door at home and that's lovely too.

That's the stuff! :drool:

err... I'm going to the gym in twenty minutes.

Don't think about ice cream.

Don't think about ice cream :innocent:

Title of the thread would suggest an open and shut case, however its fairly evident that it isnt as easy as that.

I think there is the legal aspect of nationality (country where the person was born) AND where the individual feels they belong to - and these dont always end up being the same place. I would have thought the latter in reality is more relevant.

Title of the thread would suggest an open and shut case, however its fairly evident that it isnt as easy as that.

I think there is the legal aspect of nationality (country where the person was born) AND where the individual feels they belong to - and these dont always end up being the same place. I would have thought the latter in reality is more relevant.

Agreed - but my question is if you ARE a dual citizen, why should you have to specify which citizenship is more important if you feel they are both equal?

Agreed - but my question is if you ARE a dual citizen, why should you have to specify which citizenship is more important if you feel they are both equal?

And, after going round the trees and houses, I go back to my original question. Why is it that only certain nationalities seem to want to do this? I am yet to hear of anyone using the dual thing with British being one of the nationalities quoted.

And, after going round the trees and houses, I go back to my original question. Why is it that only certain nationalities seem to want to do this? I am yet to hear of anyone using the dual thing with British being one of the nationalities quoted.

All cases would have to be looked at in individual merit, for explain both me & a friend both were born in the

same country & then moved to the same country for rough the same time.

He seems himself as a Bangladeshi British, myself as a British Bangladeshi. Both have different out views on

life & have had slightly different up bringing's.

I think it's to do with the benefits you get from British citizenship in the Western world. If someone was Iranian born and British raised, which do you think they'd quote at JFK airport? British, because there's less chance of hassle from the powers that be.

All cases would have to be looked at in individual merit, for explain both me & a friend both were born in the

same country & then moved to the same country for rough the same time.

He seems himself as a Bangladeshi British, myself as a British Bangladeshi. Both have different out views on

life & have had slightly different up bringing's.

Do you actually call yourself a Bangladeshi British? If so, thats probably the first time I have ever heard it being used.

Maybe you haven't asked enough people with mixed heritage?

It is an interesting question, though, as to whether only "young" nations are part of the dual nationality caper.

Just because you've never heard of a Bangla-Brit or a Greek-Oz doesn't mean they don't exist. Has it occurred to you that maybe these guys are proud of their roots and don't look upon one nationality being any better than the other?

It hadn't occured to me as I only ever heard it coming from this Greek Aussie. If it is as prevelant as you say then it must be being used in areas I never lived.

Do you actually call yourself a Bangladeshi British? If so, thats probably the first time I have ever heard it being used.

No don't call myself that... I am British as far as I am concerned. Though I am very proud of my roots as well as my Britishness :D

Saying that, to the council and government & I am known as a British Bangladeshi.

Personally I think that nationality mean whichever country you are a citizen of at the moment.

I was born back in Malaysia but I'm a british citizen. Only instances I get asked of my nationality are by customs or some officials only so I usually answer "British".

If friends asks I will go into more details. Normally friends will ask " Where are you from ? " anyway to which I will answer Malaysia.

Seeing Malaysia is a multi-racial country, it would be a bit perplexing to say " Chinese-Malaysian-British " :p

edit: For further information the Malaysian government do not allow dual-citizenship