The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you define your nationality

CJ

I was talking to someone today and he tells me that he is a Greek Australian. I ask him how that works and he says he was born in Greece but has lived in Australia since he was a child. So I say, "therefore you are Greek"? "No", says he, "I'm a Greek Aussie".

Well that got me thinking. Are there any instances of people you know who claim dual nationality with British as one of them? Have you ever heard anyone say they are Indian British or Malaysian British?

To my mind, the country you are born in is the country that should be your nationality.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im welsh maltese . my kids are gonne be right muts, im a malt welsh mix and shes potugese but was born in venisuiala (spelling)

the reason i say im a mix is not because i was born somewere but live somwere els. its because my father is maltese and my mother is welsh , and im a mix of the 2

but in my birds case both of her parents are portugese but she was born in venisuaila . so thats why i think shes a mix

i dont think you can claim to be from somwere just becuase you live or have grown up ther , if that makes any sence?

im welsh maltese . my kids are gonne be right muts, im a malt welsh mix and shes potugese but was born in venisuiala (spelling)

the reason i say im a mix is not because i was born somewere but live somwere els. its because my father is maltese and my mother is welsh , and im a mix of the 2

but in my birds case both of her parents are portugese but she was born in venisuaila . so thats why i think shes a mix

i dont think you can claim to be from somwere just becuase you live or have grown up ther , if that makes any sence?

How can you be Welsh / Maltese? If you were born in Wales then you are Welsh. If you were born in Malta then you are Maltese. Your parents nationality shouldn't enter the equation.

As an early poster says, surely your children will be Welsh.

thats what i say to here to wind her up , but shes very patriotic and insists they be just as portugese

It's fine to teach them about Portugal and teach them language and customs and whatever, and it'll be known officially that their Mother is Portugese, but they'll still be Welsh!

Although for some, it's all about which planet they were born on.

For the record though, as a small boy, I once fell from a camper van bed (one of those one's where the roof flips up) and landed in a suitcase - very close to the Welsh border.

I don't suppose that counts.

Depends if its for social or legal recognition.

If a Maltese couple had a child in the UK, the family would say the child is Maltese and from Maltese origin, but from a legal perspective the child would be a British citizen.

IMHO of course :D

To my mind, the country you are born in is the country that should be your nationality.

Hmmm, I dunno.

My cousin was born in Oxford but her parents emigrated to Australia (with her of course) when she was like 6 months old.

She's, I guess, 21-22 now. She calls herself an Aussie and it would seem odd if she didn't. She's a typical aussie and not British-seeming at all.

nationality is different to ethnicity.

jekyll kids are born in Wales, their nationality is Welsh. simple as.

their ethnicity is where all the halves come in, so they are 1/4 portuguese (mum) and 1/4 welsh 1/4 maltese (dad)

What happened to the other 25% ?

Hmmm, I dunno.

My cousin was born in Oxford but her parents emigrated to Australia (with her of course) when she was like 6 months old.

She's, I guess, 21-22 now. She calls herself an Aussie and it would seem odd if she didn't. She's a typical aussie and not British-seeming at all.

I can understand that in those circumstances she would call herself Aussie but would she ever call herself a British Aussie like my Greek friend does?

My OP was not aimed at what single nationality you call yourself but rather this dual malarky that seems to be coming into force.

How can you be Welsh / Maltese? If you were born in Wales then you are Welsh. If you were born in Malta then you are Maltese. Your parents nationality shouldn't enter the equation.

As an early poster says, surely your children will be Welsh.

No - the question is regarding Nationality. Someone born in Wales is 'regionally speaking' Welsh, but their Nationality is British. England/Scotland/Wales/Northern Ireland can be considered countries/provinces/regions of the UK, but individually are not each Nations in their own right.

(Edited to add: ibtl)

:)

I can understand that in those circumstances she would call herself Aussie but would she ever call herself a British Aussie like my Greek friend does?

My OP was not aimed at what single nationality you call yourself but rather this dual malarky that seems to be coming into force.

We (you know, proper Brits; like me) don't do it but it's pretty common in those jumped-up new fangled countries.

Loads of Merkins describe themselves as Irish American or Italian American even though most of them have never even been to the land of their ancestors.

Breaking News: Johnny Foreigners are odd. What can you expect from countries where any building with more than two coats of paint is considered historic?

It was all much more simple when we ran the world.

We (you know, proper Brits; like me) don't do it but it's pretty common in those jumped-up new fangled countries.

Loads of Merkins describe themselves as Irish American or Italian American even though most of them have never even been to the land of their ancestors.

Breaking News: Johnny Foreigners are odd. What can you expect from countries where any building with more than two coats of paint is considered historic?

Just :D

:blink: :faint: