The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Car Dealerships Suck...........

Holden1989

Truly could not believe it yesterday...........

So i went into my 'local friendly' mitsibishi dealership yesterday to enquire about a used mitsi L200, I had one in mind that i had seen advertised on autotrader that was said to be at this dealership.......

Upon arrival i had a look round, could not see the car but saw something very similer,

Went inside then got completely ignored (it was very quiet, 3 sales persons standing by)

After ten minutes a guy finally walked over, to cut a long story short he made me feel like a 5yr old, had no idea what my car was that i was hoping to part-x (ford streetka) asked if i had a driving license, questioned where the counter part was and if it was in my 'possesion' (wtf), questioned my financial position beyond belief, Tried selling me a car before id even had a look round it, then accused me of wasting his time, then proceeded to ask me if my car had a sunroof (its a fecking convertable...)

The car i was hopefully looking at buying was this one....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/200939342528072/sort/priceasc/usedcars/make/mitsubishi/model/l200/postcode/rg72bs/page/1/radius/10/quicksearch/true?previous=%2Fsearch%2Fresults%2Fusedcars%2Fpostcode%2Frg72bs%2Fradius%2F10%2Fmake%2Fmitsubishi%2Fmodel%2Fl200%2Fpage%2F1%2Fquicksearch%2Ftrue%2Fsort%2Fpriceasc&anchor=advert200939342528072&logcode=p

(i dont know how to make links smaller sorry)

He tried to sell me the SAME car for £10,000 which was apparantly 'in the BIG sale'

I WONT be going back there again :rolleyes:

... asked if i had a driving license ...

Maybe you just look very youthful. :D

Seriously though, it sounds like a pretty poor attitude from the salesman. I doubt whether dealerships can afford to be throwing customers away at the moment, or maybe the government's scrappage scheme is propping them up for now, who knows?

When i used to work in car sales, used to see similar all too often.

One busy weekend i saw 'colleagues' ignore a guy in scruffy clothes looking at a new Mercedes, i got chatting to him, turned out he was the MD of a small company, in his scruffy weekend clothes. He told me a few of the other sales staff had told him to 'look at something within your price range!'

I sold him a CLK convertible :) Biggest commission i earned that month IIRC.

One busy weekend i saw 'colleagues' ignore a guy in scruffy clothes looking at a new Mercedes, i got chatting to him, turned out he was the MD of a small company, in his scruffy weekend clothes. He told me a few of the other sales staff had told him to 'look at something within your price range!'

I know of that happening a few years back in the Norwich Mercedes dealership. Wasn't you, was it?

I bet that was a kick in the teeth to your other collegues

I just think its so ridiculous that he basically treated me like a 5yr old and had no basic knowledge of cars, same thing happened a few months back when rob was looking at the monaro VXR, 'well we 'could' get you one in sir but we basically dont want to waste our time', do you really have to put on your best frock to be considered worthy :rolleyes:

I know of that happening a few years back in the Norwich Mercedes dealership. Wasn't you, was it?

This was near Sheffield. I think it happens a lot. Foolish to judge a book by its cover in any job, but sales can be the worst place for it.

I bet that was a kick in the teeth to your other collegues

I just think its so ridiculous that he basically treated me like a 5yr old and had no basic knowledge of cars, same thing happened a few months back when rob was looking at the monaro VXR, 'well we 'could' get you one in sir but we basically dont want to waste our time', do you really have to put on your best frock to be considered worthy :rolleyes:

It was, especially as one was sacked shortly after!

You shouldnt have to put on a good frock at all, and if you know more than the salesman thats a big problem!

Timewasters are a big part of a salesmens life (sadly) but you cant auto-assume everyone will.

I only ever used to get one day off a week, and the rest of the week was 9-7, but id go in on my day off if i had a booking. 9 times out of 10 they wouldnt show and id waste my days off :(

This kind of attitude from car dealerships really annoys me - I got a similar run-around from a Rover dealer (yeah, I know) when I was about 19. It's bloody annoying but the best thing to do is vote with your feet and don't go back.

Oh, and laugh every time you drive past the place and see the same old cars still sitting on the forecourt week after week. :D

You do look young Kayla & I think he just assumed you had a StreetKA chances are you don't anything about cars. You should have gone back with the Supe & smoke his place out with the 315's on the rear ;)

That should teach him a lesson.

Dad had a similar experience with a used car dealer, in the end he brought a Mercedes C Class from another garage across the road (2nd hand). Got a flat a couple of weeks later & took it to the dealer who was rude to him to get the tyre changed (was my idea :D). Guy knew he brought it from across the road & just said hope you got a good deal. Think he was pretty gutted since he had 3 C classes on his forecourt.

You do look young Kayla & I think he just assumed you had a StreetKA chances are you don't anything about cars. You should have gone back with the Supe & smoke his place out with the 315's on the rear ;)

That should teach him a lesson.

even better get a lift down at the weekend in my friends carbon-loved evo 10, that may slap them round the face a tad :D

Same thing happened at basingstoke Land Rover, parents went down there to buy the new disco, wasnt even given the time of day, so they went to Reading dealership and signed the paperwork that day :)

Meh, may take rob down there at the weekend to have a look, im sure that will shut them up, but it still doesnt explain why they are trying to sell me a 7k car for 10k :rolleyes:

So its back to the trusty reliable streetka :)

Reminds of a story of when I working in sales, there was bmw franchise as part of our network, a chap came in wearing high vis vest and muddy boots. Had been ignored in dealership 160 miles up the road, made it his business to get to us the next weekend.

He made a deal on a brand new m5 within an hour of arriving at the dealership.

I was working in Toyota at the time so I didnt score the commision :(

Reminds of a story of when I working in sales, there was bmw franchise as part of our network, a chap came in wearing high vis vest and muddy boots. Had been ignored in dealership 160 miles up the road, made it his business to get to us the next weekend.

He made a deal on a brand new m5 within an hour of arriving at the dealership.

and triggered the credit crunch........ :D

Husband and i had a similar experience a few years back buying a new build house. Went to one development and without asking what we were looking at spending told us they had nothing in our price range. Went to the next one down the road that was a bit more expensive and bought one.

I wear a bloody suit all week, damned if I should have to get tarted up on a weekend to be deemed worthy of a salespersons attention.

Typical and not surprising.

I remember the S13 200sx being launched. I walked in to buy one, asked for a test drive and some snotty little sh*t snapped at me "you'd better bring your cheque book" and walked off into the stores. I put a complaint in, and told them to shove it.

Similar things have happened over the years, but now I just go mental if i even get a smart comment and embarress them so they wont ever forget. Cant wait for the next one :)

IMO the motor trade is 80% thugs, who are compulsive liars.