The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RATM vs X Factor for Christmas No.1

michael

OK we have a Cowell entry, and another entry from the Sony catalogue, from which Cowell makes money from also.

This idea is silly IMO, people going out buying a song to try and knock someone else off No1, is mindless music selling. Given that the song which most download without even hearing up front, is very basic rock with mosty repetitive lyrics about racism and the KKK and unecessary profanity played by not exactly the worlds most talented musicians, I just dont get it. I wont be buying either, as i dont think there is a ball of talent between them, and both are weak songs IMO. I wonder what the result would have been if we were in the days of no downloads and you have to use your feet to buy music.

And that proves points made previously :), music should invoke a reaction. Some like it some dont, since i bought that album in 1992 its been one of my favourites.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK we have a Cowell entry, and another entry from the Sony catalogue, from which Cowell makes money from also.

Does he? Several people have said this but I don't see how, unless Cowell or his Syco label is a major shareholder in Sony.

Given that the song ... is very basic rock with mosty repetitive lyrics about racism and the KKK and unecessary profanity played by not exactly the worlds most talented musicians, I just dont get it.

That's purely subjective (as are my opposing views, of course). A lot of people like that kind of music. I'm covering ground already covered in this thread, but music is about much more than the technical quality of the singer's voice (a criteria in which Joe McElderry can probably beat RATM hands-down).

I'd much rather hear a song that is sung sincerely with raw passion, than hear a cover of a bland (IMO) song, sung blandly, and with the same level of sincerity as pre-recorded railway station tannoy apologies for late-running trains. :)

I wont be buying either, as i dont think there is a ball of talent between them, and both are weak songs IMO. I wonder what the result would have been if we were in the days of no downloads and you have to use your feet to buy music.

I also didn't buy either. I was interested in the battle for the no.1 spot, but it didn't move me enough to sign up to a music download site or go to my local branch of Our Price or whatever they're called now. :)

Does he? Several people have said this but I don't see how, unless Cowell or his Syco label is a major shareholder in Sony.

Aye, it's more a case of Sony winning either way rather than Simon Cowell.

Although he still wins because more people would have bought Joe's single to try and stop RATM getting to number one. So instead of possibly selling 400,000 copies and getting to number one they might have sold 600,000 and got to number two.

I wonder if this was all staged by Sony, to prove two things.

1) Telling the people not to be herded like sheep to buy one number 1, you can herd them to buy another

2) People will do anything that seems a little naughty (he he he we stopped Simon getting no 1).

3) They win whatever happens..

And no I didn't buy either, already had the RATM album and Joe just isn't my cup of tea.