The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RATM vs X Factor for Christmas No.1

michael

:trampoline: Result :D

... that spent tens of thousands of pounds to bump the chump off the top spot. Was worth it though, if only too see that smug git Cowell wind his neck in a little. It won't make any difference in the long term but us lesser normal folks deserve a little "win" here :D

I heard on the radio that Cowell actually as RATM signed anyway in some form or another so he won either way.........

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a bit taken a back at how much discussion this has prompted. Who actually takes any notice of chart positions these days anyway?

There is no cultural worth is any of this episode.

I think the chart positions, especially the Christmas ones, are largely symbolic. As you suggest, not many singles are bought these days, so they only carry limited relevance in terms of artiste popularity (I imagine album charts would be a better indicator of that).

Being Christmas number 1 does buy the song a certain degree of immortality though: the single will probably be on the "Chistmas no. 1s" albums.

After the debacle that this entire X-factor year has been I for one am glad to see the train start to derail. I despise Cowell and his smugness. He exploits the dreams of young people to make himself a very rich man. I hope that this setback will thwart his attempt to extort £2mil a show out of ITV for next years series. If a facebook group made a concerted effort next year to ensure that the x-factor winner was kept from the No1 slot fullstop the show could possibly be killed off completely and my saturday night autumn viewing could finally return to watching something decent and actually entertaining.

my saturday night autumn viewing could finally return to watching something decent and actually entertaining.

I am sorry I disagree with that part because nobody forces anyone to actually watch it. If you have Sky you have choice of hundreds of channels, you could watch instead or a DVD.

Let the people who want to watch it do so :)

Happy Christmas to you x

Mine too. I get precious little time at home as it is so if I'm awake I am with my wife and kids and they watch that utter pile of drivel with avid attention.

Yeah but if your Wife's force you to watch the Drivel then it isn't Simon Cowell's fault but theirs lol :D

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=9849_Joe_McElderry_Thinks_Rage_Against_The_Machine_Sucks

Joe McElderry thinks Rage Against The Machine Killing In The Name is an awful song.

The X-Factor winner Joe McElderry has said he thinks Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name is "dreadful".

The 18-year-old, who is up against the American rockers for this year's UK Christmas number one, said he was sickened when he heard the track for the first time.

He told the Sun: 'They can’t be serious! I had no idea what it sounded like. It’s dreadful and I hate it. How could anyone enjoy this? Can you imagine the grandmas hearing this over Christmas lunch?

'I wouldn’t buy it. It’s a nought out of ten from me. Simon Cowell wouldn’t like it. They wouldn’t get through to boot camp on The X Factor – they’re just shouting.'

Joe added: 'I will be really disappointed if it doesn’t go to No1 after all the effort I’ve put in to this and winning the show.'

I think he fails to see the point in music. It's not about singing someone else's songs, or who is the 'better' singer, or even about selling singles or getting number 1 and making lots of money.

Music is an artform, to express yourself and your emotions, and making a connection with the audience. This involves writting your own lyrics, music and even performing live! And by live I mean you have to sing and perform live (like all rock bands), not mime out of sync to a pre-recorded track like we've seen plenty of on X-Factor!

http://www.undercover.com.au/News-Story.aspx?id=9849_Joe_McElderry_Thinks_Rage_Against_The_Machine_Sucks

I think he fails to see the point in music. It's not about singing someone else's songs, or who is the 'better' singer, or even about selling singles or getting number 1 and making lots of money.

Music is an artform, to express yourself and your emotions, and making a connection with the audience. This involves writting your own lyrics, music and even performing live! And by live I mean you have to sing and perform live (like all rock bands), not mime out of sync to a pre-recorded track like we've seen plenty of on X-Factor!

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2609529&postcount=170

OK we have a Cowell entry, and another entry from the Sony catalogue, from which Cowell makes money from also.

This idea is silly IMO, people going out buying a song to try and knock someone else off No1, is mindless music selling. Given that the song which most download without even hearing up front, is very basic rock with mosty repetitive lyrics about racism and the KKK and unecessary profanity played by not exactly the worlds most talented musicians, I just dont get it. I wont be buying either, as i dont think there is a ball of talent between them, and both are weak songs IMO. I wonder what the result would have been if we were in the days of no downloads and you have to use your feet to buy music.

Lets face it. The ones who are mostly moaning about Rage Against The Machine getting to number one are the ones that voted for Joe to win and didn't buy the single. I have two words for those people: 'Ha' and 'Ha'.

I would buy the 'Cowell' song if A: It was a new song, B: it was any good and C: if Danii Minogue was in the video with her baps out!!