The mkiv Supra Owners Club

RATM vs X Factor for Christmas No.1

michael

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8413557.stm

Rock anthem outselling X Factor winner Joe McElderry

Rock band Rage Against The Machine is ahead of X Factor winner Joe McElderry in the race for the Christmas number one, early sales figures suggest.

A Facebook group aiming to get the band's 1992 hit Killing In The Name to the top of the festive chart has attracted more than 750,000 members.

But McElderry's debut The Climb, out on CD on Wednesday, is expected to catch up by the weekend.

The Official Charts Company (OCC) said it is "a very exciting battle".

It is understood that there is a 10% margin in sales between the two singles after Sunday and Monday.

McElderry's song was only released digitally after his victory in the X Factor final at midnight on Sunday, giving it less time to rack up sales for this week's chart than Rage Against The Machine.

X Factor judge Simon Cowell has criticised the internet campaign, calling it "stupid".

Prior to the final of the ITV talent show, he said: "I think the campaign's aimed directly at me."

The Facebook page includes a link to homeless charity site Shelter, which has raised nearly £30,000 in donations.

Rage Against The Machine, meanwhile, are signed to Epic Records, which is part of Sony BMG, the same label as McElderry.

Ladbrokes has re-opened its betting for the number one Christmas single just 24 hours after closing it.

Ladbrokes spokesman, Nick Weinberg, said: "Earlier this week it looked a done deal. Now Joe appears to be facing an almighty battle for top spot.

"This Christmas could be the first time in a long while that we see a genuine competition."

McElderry is at 1/3 with Rage Against the Machine at 2/1.

The OCC's Martin Talbot said "two different records have captured the nation's imagination".

"According to our initial sales estimates, there is no doubt that this tussle is far from over," he added.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope all the money from the RATM song goes to charity. They don't exactly need it do they?

Well the campaign is trying to raise money for Shelter http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

...but Tom Morello has apparently said he will be donating any earnings to the Youth Music Scheme.

Unless a load more people buy the single I think the x-factor will probably beat it now that the physical CD's are in the shops :(

Shelter is getting 10% of the profit taken by RATM.

Large portions of the rest will no doubt go to other causes.

That X-Factor guy's single is released as a hard copy today so will no doubt sky-rocket past RATM's figures.

I read earlier they are 65,000 ahead, but with 500,000 copies of the other going out then no doubt most will be snapped up.

I haven't bought the Killing In The Name single as I bought the album 9 years ago and have no interest in music charts or fighting the X-Factor power etc.

If I want to donate to Shelter, I'd probably manage more than 6.5p :)

It's peoples own personal contributions as well as the percentage from the sales:

http://www.justgiving.com/ratm4xmas/

£38k+ just from people giving on the 'justgiving' site, they may not have even bought the single!

Large portions of the rest will no doubt go to other causes.

That X-Factor guy's single is released as a hard copy today so will no doubt sky-rocket past RATM's figures.

I read earlier they are 65,000 ahead, but with 500,000 copies of the other going out then no doubt most will be snapped up.

I haven't bought the Killing In The Name single as I bought the album 9 years ago and have no interest in music charts or fighting the X-Factor power etc.

I was also going to buy it but then had the same thoughts as you. I got the album (one of the gratest ever) many years ago too. I would rather it go to number 1 but even if it does it wont change things.

As charity will be given some profit though I may well download it.

At the end of the day it's 65p! You get asked for more by charity scroungers in shopping centres!!

It's worth it IMO just to see something like that at no1, in a way to prove that people do have some sort of power when they want to.

Plus maybe next year there'll be 5 different bands in on the act trying to get xmas no1 and there'll be some good battles to choose from.

At the end of the day it's 65p! You get asked for more by charity scroungers in shopping centres!!

It's worth it IMO just to see something like that at no1, in a way to prove that people do have some sort of power when they want to.

Plus maybe next year there'll be 5 different bands in on the act trying to get xmas no1 and there'll be some good battles to choose from.

All of the people that buy the X-Factor single also prove that people have power when they want to. Maybe mindless trend following power, but still. :p

All of the people that buy the X-Factor single also prove that people have power when they want to. Maybe mindless trend following power, but still. :p

It's not really is it. How many of them bought the Miley Cyrus version? So they don't actually like the song, they just like him, or at least they like X-Factor and will buy it because they were told to.

:rolleyes:

I wasn't going to do this, all though I like Joe and am glad he won the Song isn't great, but I'd rather something nice(ish) was No 1 at Christmas then some crap so I must buy several copies of Joe's song just to try and rebel against all of you lol.

:ban:

Exactly, even if it's just back to Cliff Richard or Mr. Blobby it's got to be better than it just being whatever the years X-Factor single is.

It's not really is it. How many of them bought the Miley Cyrus version? So they don't actually like the song, they just like him, or at least they like X-Factor and will buy it because they were told to.

:rolleyes:

Maybe they like his version and not the original. There are examples of tracks that I fall into this category for.

Maybe they are all now "fans" of his and are doing what was said and showing their "power" by getting him to the top.

I know that it's mindless fools for a large amount buying it because it's the X-Factor song or whatnot though, just presenting how it can be seen ;)

If everyone wants to "fight the power" and rebel against this type of music and trend etc. then why not buy this:-

http://www.galeon.com/allmusic/caratulas/p/Pantera_-_The_Great_Southern_Frendkill_-_front.jpg

The whole point of that album is going against the grain of where musical direction was at the time for even a specific genre.

Not to mention it's a great album if you don't already have it :)

I'd prefer Rivers of Babylon personally. That dude's dancing skillz are still immense.

Hell yeah! But he never sang on any of the tracks they released, only in live performances. No wonder he had time for all that crazy dancing!

He's ace in Ma Baker...

2E5sxuSRg6A

(Hey Ga Ga! Get off my ma ma ma ma!)

The same chap who created them went on to give us Milli Vanilli.