The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Honda Prelude Turbo

SupraD06

Hiya guys, just after any info that might save a friend from any huge repair bills. Basicly a mate of mine has bought a 1995 Honda Prelude with around 90k on the clock, been well looked after and serviced regularly. he's now thinking of getting a single turbo package for it, but hes been looking on ebay and a full single kit with FMIC all the pipework etc is only £700 :blink: Now that not only seems cheap but there must be more to it that fitting this kit.

So im wondering if anyone on here has any experience with Preludes, and what will be needed to do the job properly? Also where would be best to send the car to have the work done?

It's all the same regardless of what car you are turbo-ing. The best comparison would be an N/A-T conversion.

The kit itself is ridiculously cheap. If he wants to single turbo the Honda he will need to do a LOT more work. How much extra grunt is he looking for?

Basically ask him his intended gain. This will determin whether a rebuild of the engine is necessary. Also if he wants to run moderate boost the head gasket will need to be thickened up to allow a lower compression ratio.

There is LOADS and LOADS of stuff to consider when doing a turbo conversion. If he really doesn't know anything about this he has a good few months of reading to go through before he even considers it.

All in my opinion of course.

Dont think he knows anything about what work needs to be done, he just wants more power, so i thought id just see what things he should be looking out for and what advice i could offer aswell. I have no idea what his budget is but it wont be until next year when he wants it doing.

Edited by SupraD06 (see edit history)

Although I had a prelude for 3 years, I've never been that good with mechanical stuff! If you are after some serious advice, have a look on PreludeUK as there are quite a few guys on there who know the H22a inside out, and there are also a couple of owners of turbo versions kicking about on there too

When he said £700 i didnt know what to say, because i think he thought that was all he needed, knowing that members have spent over 10K going single or having Na/t conversions i knew it wouldnt be cheap. he hasnt taken into account, brakes, what stress it will cause the engine etc. does anyone know of there is a Prelude forum?

EDIT: thanks Stan, ill get him to take a look

When he said £700 i didnt know what to say, because i think he thought that was all he needed, knowing that members have spent over 10K going single or having Na/t conversions i knew it wouldnt be cheap. he hasnt taken into account, brakes, what stress it will cause the engine etc. does anyone know of there is a Prelude forum?

The post above yours has a link :D

Potentially:

Full Engine Rebuild - Pistons, Rings, Rods, bearings, gaskets etc. On the supra I think that alone is around £2k in parts.

Turbo Kit - Turbo, Manifold, Downpipe, gaskets, feed & return lines.

Intercooler Kit - Intercooler, Piping, Silicone Couplers, Clamps

Clutch

Ecu - Either Piggyback or Standalone

Bigger Injectors - Not sure if a new fuel rail would be needed with the honda.

Fuel Pump - Fuel delivery would no doubt would need to be upgraded. Not sure about regulators etc etc.

Gauges - AFR, Boost would be definites IMO.

I have no doubt missed absolutely loads of stuff but you can see how easily that can all add up.

The H22a vtec engine is perfect as it is. It would be a shame to blow another one up, but good luck anyway. :(

Couldnt agree more.....

Had a 2.2vti for 5 yrs, brilliant engine the h22a8 was, mine was pushing about 213bhp to the front and that was more than enough for a FWD car. Not sure about the logic of pushing even more power (300+) especially using FI.

I'd rather invest in getting upto 240 or 260 like the JUNlude and keeping it NA.

Thanks for the info guys, imi what did you have done to yours to get more bhp?

mine standard was pushing 200, with a decat, cold air intake system and a greddy exhaust it made an extra 13 odd bhp but was a good lot more responsive and sounded amazing, on a private track I managed 148leptons via GPS and the car ran out of gearing :D

dont forget that these engines are quite highly tuned as standard (10.8 or 11 - 1 comp ratio) although the JUNlude has proven that with some nice extensive mods you can make it a true superstar.

Good luck.

DVC00004.jpg

mine standard was pushing 200, with a decat, cold air intake system and a greddy exhaust it made an extra 13 odd bhp but was a good lot more responsive and sounded amazing, on a private track I managed 148leptons via GPS and the car ran out of gearing :D

dont forget that these engines are quite highly tuned as standard (10.8 or 11 - 1 comp ratio) although the JUNlude has proven that with some nice extensive mods you can make it a true superstar.

Good luck.

that looks quite nice :) any more pics of it at all? how did it drive?

I wouldn't bother turbo'ing an H22. I have a gen 5 2.2 vti sitting next to the supra and I looked into FI for the H22, I even bought a hondata s300 standalone ems for it but gave it a miss. H22's have fibre reinforced liners, this means you cant run forged pistons AT ALL without re-lining the block. So your forced to stay below 6-7psi, even at that the ringlands on the stock pistons are weak and will eventually fail.

If it was my choice I'd just surf through honda-tech untill you see a jackson racing SC kit for it, you wont get big power from it but a lot more torque and 260-270 hp from a bolt on kit it good enough for the fwd setup imho.