Physics puzzle

Ewen

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive just tried it...

the answer is a broken bucket a wet floor and I cant find the cork..

only kidding..

is the answer the universe implodes as god forgot to think that particular scenario through leaving the the words "Game Over!" eternally hanging in 'nothingness'??

Only kidding again...

The cork, the bucket and water all fall at the same rate. There relative positions remain theoretically stable as gravity acts independently on each object of mass in exactly the same way.

The reason a cork floats is because it has air in it
Not really. A scuba diver's air tank doesn't float.

Isn't it the average density of the object compared to the density of an equal volume of water, that affects whether something floats? (In normal conditions I mean)

The cork, the bucket and water all fall at the same rate. There relative positions remain theoretically stable as gravity acts independently on each object of mass in exactly the same way.

Bloody actuaries;)

I believe you....Now tell my again why my bloody insurance premiums keep rising even though I:innocent: have never claimed?

I think it will not float up as the water only pushes the cork up because it is heavier than it under gravity. As things that are in 'free fall' are supposed to be weightless, there is no differencial between the two materials.

That's my take on it, but I think we need someone to throw a bucket of water and cork out of their 25th floor apartment to make sure :D

This whole topic reminds me of the hammer and feather drop that was undertaken on the moon.

Obviously different physics because this test involved atmospheric pressure, but a astronaut dropped and hammer and feather at the same time and they landed at the same time :)