The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Physics puzzle

Ewen

This cropped up at work today....:dNO GOOGLING !

A cork, say from a wine bottle, is held by a robotic clamp at the bottom of a bucket of water and released the moment the bucket is dropped off the side of a tall building. What will happen to the cork during the fall? Will it float to the top of the bucket normally, slower than normal, faster than normal, or not at all?

Assume that there is no air resistance to slow the bucket down.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If the bucket was on a treadmill, and the cork was a plane, and the treadmill was infinitely awesome, and the bucket had an infinitely big handle, and it held a rare vintage Ruinart Champagne (sans-bubbles), should I have cooked dinner by now?

Half past seven.

ok...as my degree course had a lot of physics in it I'll give this a go...

I am looking at this scenario as if it were in space.... ie.gravity taken out of the equation as everything is falling at the same rate (g).

If you let a cork go in a zero g environment then what dictates the direction the cork should travel if it was just buoyancy force that was acting.....the answer should surely be no direction (as in zero g there is no up or down - as up and down is all relative to the direction of gravity).

Therefore ....(

The reason a cork floats is because it has air in it though. The air would still want to rise in the water regardless of whether they were falling or not.

Taking air out of the equation the cork would stay exactly where it is.

Saying that, when we do freefall in a plane we are still heavier than the air yet we don't sink into it. with that understanding I would say it would stay exactly where it is regardless of air.

The reason a cork floats is because it has air in it though. The air would still want to rise in the water regardless of whether they were falling or not.

Taking air out of the equation the cork would stay exactly where it is.

but if you had a bucket of water on the space station and let it go....which direction would this 'rise' be in?

There is no up or down in zero G so how would the cork know which way was 'rise'?