The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA supercharger build

barneybrendan

Surely somebody has got an ECU they can donate to get the car running and prove it works? There must be a spare NA AEM knocking about these parts unused somewhere? I'm finding it hard to believe that this whole program could grind to a halt based on the fact that a suitable ECU can't be found.

I'm gonna be provocational but I would lay money that if this was a big single turbo involved here wheels would turn and motion forwards would be found. More people would come on board and help out.

FWIW at this point I'd be tempted to head west a bit and see how the lexus/altezza boys get around the issue of charging and ECU's seems as they have loads of charged previously NA toyotas. My offer of some funding stands and if I can help with trailers (I know people with trailers and may be coming into some spare time in the next month ie getting layed off) then I will help as far as I can.

I looked into this supercharging lark a long time ago and balked at the costs involved. Now to see someone get to the brink of success I don't want to watch you fail. Take heart in the fact that every obstacle so far you have overcome. Yes you had it in your power to manufacture items (which is what put me off) and you feel out of your knowledge base with the electronic frippery now, but trust me there are people on here that can help. Persuading them that its a good idea however and tying them to it is another matter.

Stick with this mate as its a very important breakthrough. Turbo's aren't everything in the world, yes they work well but hell so do superchargers! The big hitters on the drag circuit for instance use super's not turbo's and there is a reason for that. The aero industry that drives the automotive industry uses super's.

All else fails start a thread "NA's revolt.. We want a strap on supercharger!!!" lol

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely somebody has got an ECU they can donate to get the car running and prove it works? There must be a spare NA AEM knocking about these parts unused somewhere? I'm finding it hard to believe that this whole program could grind to a halt based on the fact that a suitable ECU can't be found.

I'm gonna be provocational but I would lay money that if this was a big single turbo involved here wheels would turn and motion forwards would be found. More people would come on board and help out.

FWIW at this point I'd be tempted to head west a bit and see how the lexus/altezza boys get around the issue of charging and ECU's seems as they have loads of charged previously NA toyotas. My offer of some funding stands and if I can help with trailers (I know people with trailers and may be coming into some spare time in the next month ie getting layed off) then I will help as far as I can.

I looked into this supercharging lark a long time ago and balked at the costs involved. Now to see someone get to the brink of success I don't want to watch you fail. Take heart in the fact that every obstacle so far you have overcome. Yes you had it in your power to manufacture items (which is what put me off) and you feel out of your knowledge base with the electronic frippery now, but trust me there are people on here that can help. Persuading them that its a good idea however and tying them to it is another matter.

Stick with this mate as its a very important breakthrough. Turbo's aren't everything in the world, yes they work well but hell so do superchargers! The big hitters on the drag circuit for instance use super's not turbo's and there is a reason for that. The aero industry that drives the automotive industry uses super's.

All else fails start a thread "NA's revolt.. We want a strap on supercharger!!!" lol

My thoughts exactly, theres got to be a way of finding a standalone ECU for this surely someone out there has one at the back of there shed/garage and can donate it, even if it's only temparory, to show it can be done and to raise Barneys hopes again.

This guy drops everything to help other people and doesn't ask for much, if anything in return

Edited by DodgyRog (see edit history)

thanks for your comments mate.

the thing is car is out of mot and tax so leaving it until next year is the only option now.everything that has been done has been on a real tight budget.sometimes you have to get priorities in order and this had to be the last time i spent any money on the car this year.

Barney,

If it helps, I have an AEM 30-1100 ECU.

It is destined to go into my NA HHO H2O/CH3OH SS GT build, which I was planning to run at Suprapod.

However, there are delays with the HHO system and the prop shaft, and I am working 12 hour days, 6 day weeks for the next couple of months, so it's not possible for me to complete the project and have it set up in time for the occasion.

I will take the Supra to be there, but won't be running it.

This means the AEM ECU will be sitting on the book shelf untill Sept/Oct, or if it helps, could get your 'Cinderella' to the ball untill midnight?

David

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Barney,

If it helps, I have an AEM 30-1100 ECU.

It is destined to go into my NA HHO H2O/CH3OH SS GT build, which I was planning to run at Suprapod.

However, there are delays with the HHO system and the prop shaft, and I am working 12 hour days, 6 day weeks for the next couple of months, so it's not possible for me to complete the project and have it set up in time for the occasion.

I will take the Supra to be there, but won't be running it.

This means the AEM ECU will be sitting on the book shelf untill Sept/Oct, or if it helps, could get your Cinderella to the ball untill midnight?

David

cheers dave but as i said no more money will be spent and waisted on it this year.

keep the ECU in mind bud,

Put all your energy into the other car and get it running and sold.. That way youll have money to spend on it.. Its so close and seems like the ecu is the last piece of the puzzle so dont quit on it,

You could get the borrowed ECU and see if you can pursuade a mapper to take the job on with a 'pay only if you can get it to work' type deal.. Im no mapper but its only a bloody supercharger and its not like you want 1000hp...

keep the ECU in mind bud,

Put all your energy into the other car and get it running and sold.. That way youll have money to spend on it.. Its so close and seems like the ecu is the last piece of the puzzle so dont quit on it,

You could get the borrowed ECU and see if you can pursuade a mapper to take the job on with a 'pay only if you can get it to work' type deal.. Im no mapper but its only a bloody supercharger and its not like you want 1000hp...

lees car is all up and running mate he took it to the devon show this weekend and it won best jap car.its on pistonheads at the moment.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1880235.htm

Does sound awesome in the vids!!

Did say though barney that the map ecu 2 was not suitable mate and is why i didnt want to map it.

You need a piggyback or standalone that has full control of the injection not just airflow fooling

Aemfics are cheap now and will do the job! Matt will love it compared to a mapecu

I've just looked up the MAP ECU2 and it doesn't have any injector control :blink: Just airflow signal and ignition timing.

While I used to say it was on a near par with the EMU, doing some things better and a few more things less well, I retract that now. Without any injector adjustment control it's actually quite limited, I'd rather have an EMB.

I've just looked up the MAP ECU2 and it doesn't have any injector control :blink: Just airflow signal and ignition timing.

While I used to say it was on a near par with the EMU, doing some things better and a few more things less well, I retract that now. Without any injector adjustment control it's actually quite limited, I'd rather have an EMB.

I agree, i really can't see why an EMU wouldn't do the job fine, it has more of the right kind of control functions to cope with an N/A to FI conversion,

i have my suspicions that there is still a problem with std ECU, the EMU is quite often used on 350Z FI conversions, and the std ECU is a bit of a bugger to con, so to speak, due the being CAN bus.

I agree, i really can't see why an EMU wouldn't do the job fine, it has more of the right kind of control functions to cope with an N/A to FI conversion,

i have my suspicions that there is still a problem with std ECU, the EMU is quite often used on 350Z FI conversions, and the std ECU is a bit of a bugger to con, so to speak, due the being CAN bus.

wot sort of problem could there be with the std ecu.i have a spare one in the car than can easily be swapped over.

just been looking around the engine bay and found that the charger belt is knackerd.rubber dust everywhere and all the ribs are worn down or chewd up.i am presuming that is due to it constantly slipping under load.Going to have another measure up to make sure everything is still square and that the tensioner is doing its job properly.

I had forgotten how loud the noise was and i dont think i could put up with it whinning like it does,so going to rethink the pipe work.the main noise seems to be coming from the air filter an intake pipes as when i squeeze the rubber connector the noise changes.

if its slipping it might be best to go with a ribbed belt and pulleys, lot of the hsv guys that supercharge go this way.

going to try a wider belt first as i have a pk6 on there and pulleys are for pk7 just couldnt find the size i needed,plus i think the tensioner needs another supprt on it as it seems like it moves slightly.Being a manual tensioner i should be able to tighten the belt as much as i want.