The mkiv Supra Owners Club

NA supercharger build

barneybrendan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen the you tube clip. That charger sounds knackered,it may explain the lower boost partially - where did you get it from?

came off a jag only done 50,000 miles.ive redone the coupler and has fresh oil,it spun freely no clunking ect.with all the pipe work off all you here then is the noise from the charger itsself.will check to see if i videod it without the pipe work connected so you can here the difference.

the groaning noise is from the power steering pump.notice the charger has not outlet connected to it.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

Are they still having trouble with the map ecu or is it a case that they dont have time?

i dont know as i havnt spoken to them again.last i heard matt had e lengthy reply back from the map ecu guy,and said when he has time he will read through it and get the car back on the dyno.bit of a bummer as i know there are supras using the map 2 with larger injectors and big hp on the map ecu 2 tech forum.

Maybe worth someone having a word with tDR, he knows the MAP 2 ECU's rather well.

The difficulty lies with 2 things when it comes to the NA:

1. Wiring - who knows how that goes, only know how the TT wiring goes myself and suspect the MAP-ECU community don't see much of the 2JZ-GE as an application.

2. You need to get off the stock airflow metering system (it's not designed to see boost on an NA) and onto the MAP sensor inside the MAP-ECU2 to be able to fuel properly for boost conditions. The big hurdle here will be getting the base values to load into the MAP-ECU2 for what the stock metering sensor does voltage wise for a given pressure / vacuum - that way it can mimic the stock signals for closed loop conditions or you can scale those values back (simple ratio division) to suit your larger injectors for closed loop. For open loop IE under boost you can suitably amend the voltage values to fuel appropriately for boost whilst fooling the stock ECU that there is no boost.

The timing side of things should be relatively straight forward assuming things are wired up and configured correctly for the 2JZ-GE - given the linear boost characteristics of supercharger boost, my thinking is wind back the timing across the board as the stock settings will be too advanced for boost. The stock knock feedback will be doing it's thing though on the stock ECU side of things which helps so might not be too much adjustment needed over what that does with the timing naturally.

Not entirely sure on the fuelling side of it with a charger, other than you make boost very early on so more fuel needed - which in turn should be helped by the larger injectors pulsing more fuel in for a given voltage (0-5V) signal, though this will need fudged pretty much as soon as the boost comes in because the stock ECU will be trying to open the taps 100%.

Matt knows what he's up to - it's just the learning an ECU side of it if he hasn't worked with a MAP-ECU2 previously. Tends to be best to go with a mapper's favoured ECU as they'll have spent the most time working with it...

Cheers,

Brian.

that helps me to understand a bit more they have a wirring diagram for the na.

i already had the map 2 and spending £1500 on an f con isnt possible at the moment,plus needed to know if the charger set up makes decent performance to warrant spending a big chunk of money.

Toyota Supra JZA80 2JZ-GE JDM.pdf

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

that helps me to understand a bit more they have a wirring diagram for the na.

i already had the map 2 and spending £1500 on an f con isnt possible at the moment,plus needed to know if the charger set up makes decent performance to warrant spending a big chunk of money.

Wiring looks pretty straightforward - pin 62 is key as that's how you're going to adjust fuelling by fudging that airflow signal to the stock ECU to allow for the larger injectors and boost. There should be enough headroom, more so with larger injectors as that lets you output lower voltage values to the stock ECU for more fuel to then scale up with boost. As I said you need the stock MAP sensor voltage vs pressure / vacuum output values before switching to the MAP ECU2 MAP sensor as depicted by the snip on the diagram as that's your baseline to start the fudging from.

Timing is a simple looking affair on the wiring side with just pin 57 being routed through the MAP-ECU2 for signal modification or pass through because of the distributor setup.

I see no reason why the MAP-ECU2 can't do the job - just realise I went through a learning curve myself with it and these things take time to figure out before getting results. The MAP-ECU2 is quite complex on the additional features side of things - there's a host of stuff it can do other than fuelling and timing.

Just been on the dyno again, and have to admit to not being a MAP ecu expert ! Rescaled the MAF 0 RPM 0 so that the ecu is seeing a higher voltage for 0kpa. Seemed to help a little but the basic problem is that at about 8-9psi of boost approaching 3200rpms, you just can't get enough fuel in, it's too lean even at maximum voltage and 40psi static fuel pressure. Then at 3200rpms it goes seriously rich, it shifts from 13:1 to 9:1, it's literally like a cliff drop !

The stock ecu is doing something to cause this, don't think it's going from closed loop to open loop on the o2 sensor as usually, and I could be wrong, once you are at 100% throttle the ecu goes open loop.

You just can't map around this sudden shift in output fueling from the ecu.

Open to suggestions ???

Just been on the dyno again, and have to admit to not being a MAP ecu expert ! Rescaled the MAF 0 RPM 0 so that the ecu is seeing a higher voltage for 0kpa. Seemed to help a little but the basic problem is that at about 8-9psi of boost approaching 3200rpms, you just can't get enough fuel in, it's too lean even at maximum voltage and 40psi static fuel pressure. Then at 3200rpms it goes seriously rich, it shifts from 13:1 to 9:1, it's literally like a cliff drop !

The stock ecu is doing something to cause this, don't think it's going from closed loop to open loop on the o2 sensor as usually, and I could be wrong, once you are at 100% throttle the ecu goes open loop.

You just can't map around this sudden shift in output fueling from the ecu.

Open to suggestions ???

Had the same problem with e-manage on an NA-T. It's to do with the ACIS butterfly opening. Nothing you can do really as the factory ecu is playing games in the background much like the TT one does at 3900rpm due to the second turbo transition. You just have to keep playing until you find a happy medium. The e-manage has the ability to over drive the injectors behind the ECU's back so you have a better level of control, not sure what the map ecu has. A simple stand alone like a Link Atom for £600 with £200 fit and map should be more than plenty to drive this setup.

Hey Nod, it's making too much boost early on unlike an NA-T so it's just too lean before 3200rpms :(

If the output voltage to the ecu from the Map ECU is running much about 4.5+v then your pretty much screwed as there is not enough fuel in the underlying oem base map. I've never been a fan of Gizmo's that condition the ecu signals to force it into miss mapping :thumbdown:

Edited by Nodalmighty (see edit history)