barneybrendan

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

been messing around with it again.

when the ignition is turned on the plug will spark when earthed

when cranking no spark what so ever.

another thing strange is when you turn on the ignition the cam belt goes backwards slightly.

i have changed dizzy cap,leads,new rotor arm,coil,ignitor.i have now run out of ideas.:(

when fitting the engine and wires the main cable going to the altinator shorted out and sparked,could this of caused a problem somewhere,the fuses in the engine bay and under the dash on the drivers side are all fine.

Edited by barneybrendan (see edit history)

another thing strange is when you turn on the ignition the cam belt goes backwards slightly.

i have changed dizzy cap,leads,new rotor arm,coil,ignitor.i have now run out of ideas.:(

when fitting the engine and wires the main cable going to the altinator shorted out and sparked,could this of caused a problem somewhere,the fuses in the engine bay and under the dash on the drivers side are all fine.

Do you have a spare ecu?

if so give it a try.

Bloody hell mate realy hope its someting simple im out of ideas

Ill call round and check behind dash when i had it off for gauge

its driving me around the bend as all i had to do was fit the tensioner bracket and take it to afr.maybe the idea of charging is cursed.

Id check to make sure you have 12v at the main lead that shorted as it should always have 12v, if you have 12v then i cant see it being a fuse.

As for the engine turning backwards when you turn the ignition on i cant really see how it can unless the starter is doing somthing.

you say you have a spark then the plug is earthed, i take it this is when your turning it over on the starter, if you have a spark and fuel then i see no reason for it not to start :Pling:

Id check to make sure you have 12v at the main lead that shorted as it should always have 12v, if you have 12v then i cant see it being a fuse.

As for the engine turning backwards when you turn the ignition on i cant really see how it can unless the starter is doing somthing.

you say you have a spark then the plug is earthed, i take it this is when your turning it over on the starter, if you have a spark and fuel then i see no reason for it not to start :Pling:

if ive got the plug earthed on the body when i turn on the ignition i get a spark,then when i start cranking no spark.

im going to video the engine turning backwards slightly when i turn the ignition on,i have never seen this on any car before.

will check that i have 12v on the main lead aswell.

The plugs firing when the ignition switch being turned on i have seen before, but i can't remember if its abnormal, but it may explain the engine turning backwards, as if there is some unburnt fuel in a cylinder it cold partially fire and push the engine the wrong way.

There is obviously something in the ignition circuit that is wrong if its not firing on cranking, so the first thing to check is whats happening with the wiring that is involved in the cranking/start phase.

Have you still got a piggyback connected?

The plugs firing when the ignition switch being turned on i have seen before, but i can't remember if its abnormal, but it may explain the engine turning backwards, as if there is some unburnt fuel in a cylinder it cold partially fire and push the engine the wrong way.

There is obviously something in the ignition circuit that is wrong if its not firing on cranking, so the first thing to check is whats happening with the wiring that is involved in the cranking/start phase.

Have you still got a piggyback connected?

the map 2 is still connected.

Sounds electrical/earth problem, the starter has reverse current flow, it uses the engine as an earth return,so the engine is not earthed to the battery, in fact probably the opposite!!

Check your leads and connections especially at the starter

Just been reading this thread, sounds like you are having some bad luck here. i thought i would give some input on what i have knowledge on in the past.

1: The map ecu2- do you have the ecu set on map or maf , is it intercept or eliminate mode . I think you need to be on maf intercept as it uses a maf sensor . Do you still have the maf installed ? or are you running purely on the the mapecu2 map sensor ?.

2: When you changed the engine over , did you connect the wiring harness that goes on the left side of the engine bay beneath the intake manifold to an earth ? . Many people tend to miss this out as they think its just a plastic connecter and a brass insert .This is one of the main earthing poits for the stock ecu .

what base map are you using ? if you are using the mapecu forum 550cc injectors version then look for the N/A version notthe TT version and make sure you still have the maf installed .

3: A word of advice, the silicon connectors you are using are the worse ones. As they get warm , they become very soft and just fall off . If you noticed there are no reinforced braid on them, looks like the ones provided with a universal pipe kit.

hope this helps.

Sounds electrical/earth problem, the starter has reverse current flow, it uses the engine as an earth return,so the engine is not earthed to the battery, in fact probably the opposite!!

Check your leads and connections especially at the starter

going to take it all off tomorrow and reconnect all the connectors again

Just been reading this thread, sounds like you are having some bad luck here. i thought i would give some input on what i have knowledge on in the past.

1: The map ecu2- do you have the ecu set on map or maf , is it intercept or eliminate mode . I think you need to be on maf intercept as it uses a maf sensor . Do you still have the maf installed ? or are you running purely on the the mapecu2 map sensor ?.

2: When you changed the engine over , did you connect the wiring harness that goes on the left side of the engine bay beneath the intake manifold to an earth ? . Many people tend to miss this out as they think its just a plastic connecter and a brass insert .This is one of the main earthing poits for the stock ecu .

what base map are you using ? if you are using the mapecu forum 550cc injectors version then look for the N/A version notthe TT version and make sure you still have the maf installed .

3: A word of advice, the silicon connectors you are using are the worse ones. As they get warm , they become very soft and just fall off . If you noticed there are no reinforced braid on them, looks like the ones provided with a universal pipe kit.

hope this helps.

1.apparently it is using the mapecu 2 internal map sensor.

2.not 100% sure i know what connector you are on about.

i havnt got a clue what base map is on it as i had it fitted when it was still na,but never got given any software ect from the tunners.

3.i am aware of the connectors,they are cheap rubber ones.didnt want to spend out loads on silicone until i new the set up worked.just want it running so i can get it mapped properly then fit better quality parts.

the main bat positive goes to the starter, if the connection is askew and touching the starter case its now live(or lead trapped/chaffed -something like that ,probably why battery discharged rather quickly

the connector was a bitch to get on.will pull the starter out and check that,just started to get the lights out of the shed to start taking it all apart.