The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hadron collider is it worth it

tooquicktostop

I am normally a big science fan, watching the children in need last night ( not by choice I have to say, bloody celebs lording it up for a good cause, their career, but that's another story) but this story got me thinking

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/8371662.stm

Is this Hadron collider at £6 billion money well spent, the world is in such a mess, we are taxed to the max and still asked for cash to fund things the govenment should really be taking care of , I dont need millionaire celebs telling me to donate

Space trips and atom splitting could wait over feeding starving people right ?

Rant over !

Scientists got a rod and they are trying to catch a fish.

How much money from donations will go to real "Children in need"?

I do not think space trips and atom splitting can wait, if we do not make any steps further, soon there will too many people here to feed - I would rather invest in looking after new technologies, more efficient energy use and space exploration/colonization. Trying to feed all starving people is impossible, cost of supplying simple rice bowl to Africa is higher than dinner in restaurant in Paris.

I flicked through part of the program and couldn't help thinking that charities in the UK seem to be bailing the Govt of their responsibilities.......most of what was being spent on UK projects should really be covered by our Tax.......

Think the solution would be to address it at the source rather than feeding the problem which is what charities do IMO.

Scientific breakthroughs are the only way we're gonna save this planet. :(

When I did geography etc. there was 4 billion on the planet. In 30 years that's increased to 6 billion. We can't keep that going. The planet cannot sustain that number for any period of time.

We need solutions.

Scientific breakthroughs are the only way we're gonna save this planet. :(

When I did geography etc. there was 4 billion on the planet. In 30 years that's increased to 6 billion. We can't keep that going. The planet cannot sustain that number for any period of time.

We need solutions.

We need a campaign, 'Do your bit, kill someone today'.