The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My Cat got hit by a Car

keancy

I feel sick as hell right now. My Cat was hit by a Car in the early Hours this morning. I let him out at 4am and he rushed in and collapsed onto the floor at 7am struggling to breathe (panting), drooling and clearly in pain. No external injury's were visible, other then the claws on 3 of his Paws are shred, but he was clearly in pain and shock. Rushed him straight into the Vets where they checked him over and hoped he is only in shock rather then have any internal injury's and asked me to ring midday to see how he is doing.

Well I just phoned and they said he is about to go have some x-rays (why wait so long?) and to ring back in an hour or so. Upon asking how he was doing they tell me no change to this morning but not worse..........what does that mean exactly?? I am worried sick now as they didn't reassure me one bit with that :(

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its a good thing when they dont re-assure you, recently i took my 8 year old dog and best friend to the vet after she coolapsed in the house. the vet told me it was jus a virus sheel be on a drip over night and i could pik her up in the morning shed be fine.

at 3 am i had call telling me she died in her kenel. it took 4 offers to stop me killing the vet. saying shes fine so i relaxed and then overlooking her.

hope the lil kitty recovers i allways worry abut my cat when shes out .

hope the lil kitty recovers i allways worry abut my cat when shes out .

I don't normally worry to much as my Cat is very shy and very,very scared of Cars so normally he stays well away from the Road, so I can only assume he was either chasing or be chased to be near it :(

Sorry to hear about this, hope she is fine with no injuries.

I let mine in this morning and he was so excited, he wanted to follow me out this morning at 8am but I hushed him back in. Luckily my cats just like to wonder in the garden or stay close to home, but the main road is not far at all so this worries me.

Don't worry Keancy, hopefully she will be fine :)

Well the verdict from the Vet is in and I am in bits, he has a ruptured diaphragm and will need surgery which is risky to say the least so the Vet said. So now we faced with the question of letting him be operated on and possibly not make it?? Or let him go (he is only 3).

Has anyone ever heard of this happening to a Cat and what the prognoses/outcome was??

,any chance you can go to the vets and see your cat personally that way you can make a balanced choice.

I am not sure that would be to great an idea, our Cat is extremely sketchy around strangers and petrified of other Animals so he will be highly stressed at this point already, me going in there then leaving him again would only make that situation worse.

If he has a chance of making a full recovery then I think its best to give him a shot. We have 4 cats, they are now indoor cats as we have lost 3 in the past (2 definitely to traffic and 1 unknown).

One of our cats has had nothing but trouble with urine infections etc etc, so much so he had to get his "wee man" chopped off. He seems ok now, he was going through hell though. Had him through 2 ops. If the last one didn't fix it we were giving up and putting him to rest as it wasn't fair on him. Had to give him a chance though :)

Hope everything works out for you and your kitty :)

If they say they can do it then go for it mate, it might sound nasty but, if theres a chance that she might die after the op, its the same out come for if you decide to put her down. If i was in your position than I wouldn't need to think about it, my cats mean the world to me and if there is a chance of survival take it.

my cats mean the world to me and if there is a chance of survival take it.

As he does to me, I sometimes admit to people I love my Binx more then Humans lol. Still waiting for the Vet to call back to let us know if the fluid on his lungs is just liquid or blood. If it is blood it is bad news :(

I agree, if he's got a chance then take it.

They'll be giving him something to keep him calm.

Yes I would expect they have.

I wish I had insurance for him now too, but heyho I would give everything for him if it means he will live.

Sorry to hear your news. :(

My opinion would be to give the op a shot. If it goes well thats great, And you will 100% not think twice about your choice.

If you let the poor little chap go to sleep you might wonder forever if he would have made it or not.

Sorry if this come across a bit depressing. Good luck to you and your cat. :)

my mum used to feed a cat that was actually somebody elses about 9 doors up it got hit by a car one day and was in a sorry state with injuries very similar to your cats and then some.

he knocked on our door knowing my mum fed it and said if she wanted to pay for it she could but he wasnt prepared to pay £600 for it to have the op with the pins in its hip etc

i told my mum she was mad if she did but she wouldnt listen and paid for it sadly that cat died last year but 14yrs after it was hit by that car so cats can and do live a healthy and long life after big accidents they are very sturdy animals and my mums cat lucky was one of the best mousers and bird catchers ive ever seen he even tagged a few magpies in his time