The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Does anyone have the new Sony E' Satio

Matt H

Does anyone have the new Sony Ericsson Satio?

http://www.sonyericsson.com/cws/corporate/products/phoneportfolio/specification/satio

I'm torn between it and the iphone 3gs. If I go for the Satio I can save quite a bit of money on line rental, but my mate showed me his 3gs on Orange last night and the other half of me is thinking, screw it, go for the iphone.

Just looking for any user experiance...

Ta

Just looking for any user experiance...

Well, it depends what you want to use it for.

If you do a lot of messaging or fancy browsing the net, I found the Satio's resistive keypad very unresponsive and the lack of predictive text when in QWERTY mode made typing even slower.

If I had to choose between them, I would get the 3GS.

I have the satio... I havev found all apps i need

Facebook, Mobile maps to use GPS etc...

However i bought it because i use it as a camera a lot. I dont find txting a problem as i use the the normal keypad type style and actually like fact u need to give the screen a good press, it does a little vibrate when pressing keys (can be turned on / off) 1 small annoyance a :-) shows like this and not a smiley face!!

In my view its this simple, if you want a camera phone...Satio, if you dont the iphone for the ability to get so many apps. Satio is still new so not many apps designed for its high res screen yet. The iphone on other hand has loads of apps.

Video recorder on it is good too.

I would like a nice phone that can give me a decent ssh client over the internet.

A hidden keyboard would be best, anything current on the market like that?

Not that I've really used it but I've a nice one of mine, coloured shell, tab completion etc.

Plenty of options available for rooted Android phones :)

I'm suppose to get it today but looks like I'll still have to wait...

No complaints since I got it for £280 :D

I'm at the end of contract, so I'm looking at getting it for free :p

The SE Xperia X10 looks set to become the best Android phone yet... Not out til 10th Feb though.

http://phandroid.com/2009/11/13/xperia-x10-gets-10-minutes-of-video-time/

It does look brilliant, currently the most popular phone on GSM Area:

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_xperia_x10-pictures-2964.php

It's another one I've added to the list of options, but like you said, it's not out until Feb...

This is probably going to sound a bit anal, but it doesn't have FM Radio built in!

I have the satio... I havev found all apps i need

Facebook, Mobile maps to use GPS etc...

However i bought it because i use it as a camera a lot. I dont find txting a problem as i use the the normal keypad type style and actually like fact u need to give the screen a good press, it does a little vibrate when pressing keys (can be turned on / off) 1 small annoyance a :-) shows like this and not a smiley face!!

In my view its this simple, if you want a camera phone...Satio, if you dont the iphone for the ability to get so many apps. Satio is still new so not many apps designed for its high res screen yet. The iphone on other hand has loads of apps.

Video recorder on it is good too.

That's where it's tricky for me, as I want both. Do you think the apps thing will improve much?

One of the main things for me is to be able to search the net - fast. How does that stack up?

Also, how do you get on with the 3 buttons at the bottom? I'm a fan of those, but they look fiddly?

I would like a nice phone that can give me a decent ssh client over the internet.

A hidden keyboard would be best, anything current on the market like that?

Not sure about your first question, but the Palm Pre that Axel mentioned has a slide out keyboard. It's something that actual puts me off the pre, as I find those tiny buttons fiddly.

Get the iPhone 3GS, I've checked reviews on the palm pre & it is only another attempt @ beating the iPhone. The main thing which will impress you is the OS, it works so fluidly. I know the market is selling the iphone stating how thousands of amps are available, but its real trick is how it all works so brilliantly. I watched Top Gear on my iPhone last night & I have an old 2G, plus they showed Jeremy showing his iPhone for the decimal meter for when they was driving the Ferrari underground! :D

That's where it's tricky for me, as I want both. Do you think the apps thing will improve much?

One of the main things for me is to be able to search the net - fast. How does that stack up?

Also, how do you get on with the 3 buttons at the bottom? I'm a fan of those, but they look fiddly?

those 3 buttons look fiddly and how do i find them...well fine when i usee them, but i rarely do as all the actions can be done on screen so you dont have to use them (by sounds of it probably what you wanted to hear :D)

Now this is the good thing, Net obviously depends on speed, but because its whats called a symbian 60 V5 operating system there are already browser apps.

they all work slightly different so speed is same as any other phone and is based on 3G connection. There is one that comes with your phone, Mini Opera browser and some others ive tried. All work fien and quite quick.

I think the apps will improve (there is alot out there, u just have to find them) will it ever be on the scale of the iphone apps, no i dont think so.

Hence why you have to decide is the camera and video aspect important, it is 9mb widescreen mode for camera and 12mb when not, but i do have to say the quality of the pictures and screen resolution and colour is the best ive seen. I think the lens is good in the camera as well.

I can confirm the 3GS is very fast on the net & has a proper browser (Safari) which is used on the Mac laptops.

The safari browser is a nice facility, but I have to say, the speed of which my mates 3gs loaded pages last night was a bit disapointing. I'm not sure whether it's the area I'm in that makes the difference, but loading up the google home page (which is the fastest loading page I've ever come across - in general), took quite a while.

those 3 buttons look fiddly and how do i find them...well fine when i usee them, but i rarely do as all the actions can be done on screen so you dont have to use them (by sounds of it probably what you wanted to hear :D).

That's good that you have the choice. I like the inclusion of them, as a phone, at the end of the day, should still be a phone in its purest form; answering and canceling calls using those buttons is a big plus for me. Plus the the middle button for getting back to the main screen quick is spot on.

Now this is the good thing, Net obviously depends on speed, but because its whats called a symbian 60 V5 operating system there are already browser apps.

they all work slightly different so speed is same as any other phone and is based on 3G connection. There is one that comes with your phone, Mini Opera browser and some others ive tried. All work fien and quite quick.

I've heard good things about the Mini Opera browser - very good things infact. That's certainly another plus.

I think the apps will improve (there is alot out there, u just have to find them) will it ever be on the scale of the iphone apps, no i dont think so

I would agree with that, but another slant on it is that fact that, although there are shed loads of apps out there..... who has them all?

I suppose the real question is whether the most important / popular ones are / will be realised on the Satio.

9mb widescreen mode for camera and 12mb when not, but i do have to say the quality of the pictures and screen resolution and colour is the best ive seen. I think the lens is good in the camera as well.

Another query... How does the camera stack up to say a modern 8mp compact digital?

The proof in the pudding is looking at the pics on a large screen I guess. Have you transfered any across to your PC?

Hence why you have to decide is the camera and video aspect important.

In summary then, would you say that if it wasn't for the choice of applications, then it would be a dead cert for the Satio?

One good thing about this phone is multi tasking. So if i was in messaging writing a message and decided to check my internet. Press middle button and then can go off and use another app / area of the phone.

Press and hold middle button to get a menu of your open apps,select messaging and carry on where i left off. I particularly like this.

Camera is as clear on 12mb pixel id say, zoom isnt too bad on this but like most phones it is a digital zoom.

I got this phone free with my new contract with vodafone.