The mkiv Supra Owners Club

PS3 repairs

caseys

WatchDog did a news story on this. They had a bunch of guys in the back of a transit fixing them, basically 90% of faults were down to lifted components, they stripped them down and checked the seating of the core chips and applied some decent heat paste between the chips and coolers and bobs your uncle, fixed.

Some were baked for a short period in a special oven.

EDIT: looks like Sony were not impressed with the program :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8263063.stm

WatchDog did a news story on this. They had a bunch of guys in the back of a transit fixing them, basically 90% of faults were down to lifted components, they stripped them down and checked the seating of the core chips and applied some decent heat paste between the chips and coolers and bobs your uncle, fixed.

It was something like cracking or lifting solder wasn't it with the heat soak over time? Solved with either an ultra violet soldering iron or baking as you say literally in an over

does make me wonder if r&d was rushed by both sony and ms, or cutting corners/costs or they were just trying to be too smart with the designs. As said in earlier posts consoles with no moving parts never had issues and not many of the 360/ps3 failures are to do with moving parts like drives or fans.

Should see some of the kit I work on, pumps out some major BTUs and designed to work 24/7/365 with as little downtime as 5 minutes a year.

• 4 weeks later...

Well... what fun this has all been.

11th November - Console sent to repair place down the road

19th November - Repaired - duff power supply

20th November - Played PS3 for 45 minutes, died again same issue. Took it back to them.

25th November - Ring up company check wtf is going on - state another 3 days to repair. Stated I'd like to pick it up when ready rather than waiting in for courier

26th November - Get email from Parcelfarce saying console will be delivered 27th. Parcelfarce actually have to drive *past* my house to pick it up from repair centre, drove *past* my house back to their depot where it sat all weekend. Grrr.

27th November - Repaired! - Duff power supply (seeing a theme here?)

9th December - Playing PS3 - died again same issue.

11th December - Dropped PS3 back in again stating this is the 3rd time can it be rushed through please as they seem to have missed something. Nope, gotta wait in the queue with the other consoles, no priority for repeatedly irate yet polite customers.

Today - rung up repair centre - 2 days ago console was declared unrepairable and now they are taking it up with Game.

Arse.

Thought i would add my own 2p's worth here.

Bought my PS3 in December 2007 and after 11 months of gaming it decided to crash while i was playing a game, then after this incident i was unable to play any games/dvd's/blu-ray's/cd's. So i called the Playstation helpline and after talking to the tech guy there was a courier at my door 2 days later. My console was collected and sent back but it was left in the programming mode or something so had to be sent back and another unit replaced my old one.

Everything was great and i had another 9 months usage out of the replacement unit and then suprise suprise i got the same fault again but this time i was out of my Manufacturer's Warranty. So i decided to call the helpline again and told them that i had the same fault before and this unit was displaying the same symptoms to which they replied "you are out of your 12 months so we are going to have to charge you £99 and a replacement re-furbished unit shall be dispatched". I was rather disappointed and pointed out to the Tech guy that i had only just had a replacement unit sent to me 9 months prior and i asked if the replacememnt unit Sony sent me came with a 12 month Warranty to which he said "im sorry but replacement units are only come with a 3 month warranty" which i reckon is rather poor.

Roll on another 3 months and i decided to call them again today and spoke to a nice Tech Girl who noticed i had a few replacements and realised i was rather disappointed with the PS3 experience. The Girl on the phone ran through the usual checks with me and then said that she was going to speak to her Manager/supervisor, When she returned she said that she was going to get the courier to bring back the unit to Sony and have it repaired rather than to replace it with a re-furb'd unit. She then went on to say that the total cost of repairing the Unit would also be £99 BUT.......... becuase she knew i had had alot of trouble with the PS3 they are now doing the repair for free and i shall get a 12 month Warranty on the repair too.

I am very happy with this situation and i thought i would share my story with others in the same situation.

Not so fantastic. Hopefully you will get a new console out of it though.

£199 gift card through the post stating console is beyond economical repair.

Can I buy a 60Gb PS3 for that anywhere? No none available with game.

Can I buy a new PS3 for that with Game? No.

Can I get back my 320Gb HDD with my data on it (including account information)? No. TCR say it's Game's property, Game say it's TCR's issue.

So down on credit, currently lost my HDD and would have to fork out £50+ for a new PS3.

After being on hold for 110 minutes to Customer Services they said £199 is fine for a pre-owned console and that's all they can give, they can't give a replacement. Nor can they give me back my HDD.

I've now emailed the head of customer services mentioning my statutory rights and asked also what is going to happen with my HDD with my details on as it's covered under the data protection act. If someone fixed the console without a HDD swap they could access my data :blink:

Wonder how that's gonna go :)

Ps3's Xbox's and laptops with integrated graphics processors can fail because of cooked GPU's. Ive fixed a few Laptops by reflowing the Solder on the GPU. Its a one shot only chance though, so needs to be done right.

iczDSYCQKS4

• 2 weeks later...

Well after a bit of haggling with Game they are now going to give me a 250Gb Slim PS3 and also a direct warranty with Game for 3 years, which'd cost me £315 in total at the shops. They're unsure of locating my 320Gb HDD I put in it but vouched that all consoles they have returned as insurance write-offs get destroyed.

Not bad really, but I do wonder of the use of the extended warranty considering I didn't have one for my first one and just flexed my consumer rights.

Now just got to wait for it to turn up.

May look for a 2nd hand 60Gb one sometime anyway to use as a media centre and PS2 games. An NTSC one will allow me then to play Region 1 blu-ray discs.

EDIT : So basically I now am getting a 250Gb console for free, would have cost me £315 in total, paid £0 :) Happy chappy.

Well after a bit of haggling with Game they are now going to give me a 250Gb Slim PS3 and also a direct warranty with Game for 3 years, which'd cost me £315 in total at the shops. They're unsure of locating my 320Gb HDD I put in it but vouched that all consoles they have returned as insurance write-offs get destroyed.

Not bad really, but I do wonder of the use of the extended warranty considering I didn't have one for my first one and just flexed my consumer rights.

Now just got to wait for it to turn up.

May look for a 2nd hand 60Gb one sometime anyway to use as a media centre and PS2 games. An NTSC one will allow me then to play Region 1 blu-ray discs.

Nice input Casey. Cheers. I know the waraanty issue is totally miss sold and worth nothing over your stat rights so I'm glad to see it in action. :thumbs:

It also sounds like if you were handed to Sony in the first place your problems would not have been so severe. It actually sounds like these repairs are farmed out. Not good for Sony's image.